IGNORED

2020 MLB Thread

Bearcat-Doug

15 hours ago, Quest4Nes said:

Game 7....cant wait.

what a comeback in this series. Astros felt like the better team even down 0-3. Just an incredible streak of bad luck ABs.  2nd team ever to force a game 7 down 0-3. Regardless of outcome , proud of the team for fighting back.

Sacrifice bunt to move both runners into scoring position. Then a single brings them both in. I like Dusty  Baker. My wife and son are both rooting for the Astros. I'll admit I like their style of play too. They have a very balanced lineup and approach. I really, really like Framber. He reminds me alot of Andy Pettite with that curveball.

Edited by BriGuy82

47 minutes ago, BriGuy82 said:

Sacrifice bunt to move both runners into scoring position. Then a single brings them both in. I like Dusty  Baker. My wife and son are both rooting for the Astros. I'll admit I like their style of play too. They have a very balanced lineup and approach. I really, really like Framber. He reminds me alot of Andy Pettite with that curveball.

Dusty actually managed a game when he was here instead of that sabermetric nonsense so I'll give him that.

1 hour ago, BriGuy82 said:

Feels like the first successful sac bunt ive seen work out for houston in years.

Its the only time i approve of a sac bunt. First and second no outs. Sub optimal hitter up

Edited by Quest4Nes

On 10/12/2020 at 10:15 PM, Estil said:

Good thing he DID pull you out of skewl...because sadly you and your brother/dad hadn't got another chance to go to the WS since 😞 

For the Reds, yes.  My dad is actually first a White Sox fan and then a Reds fan second.  I am Reds first and White Sox second.

With that said, my dad and I did attend Game 2 of the 2005 World Series when the White Sox swept the Astros (back when the Stros were still in the NL).  Konerko hitting a grand slam in a soggy game lit up the dreary ball park and the hearts of every South Sider after the Sox were ho-hum during the first part of Game 2.  The joy continued two games later when the Sox brought the World Series title back to Chicago.  My dad was so overjoyed that the Sox won...he has been a White Sox since the 1950s and was heartbroken as a teen when the Go-Go White Sox lost it in 1959.  I am glad I got to share that moment with my dad in Game 2.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sumer said:

My dad was so overjoyed that the Sox won...he has been a White Sox since the 1950s and was heartbroken as a teen when the Go-Go White Sox lost it in 1959.  I am glad I got to share that moment with my dad in Game 2.

I have a friend who is a HUGE  White Sox fan. Back before 2004, whenever Red Sox fans would gripe about not winning a Fall Classic since 1918, he'd say, "Shut up, my team hasn't won since 1917."

Weird that the year after the Red Sox finally win one that the White Sox won theirs. 86 and 88 years respectively.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Tulpa said:

I have a friend who is a HUGE  White Sox fan. Back before 2004, whenever Red Sox fans would gripe about not winning a Fall Classic since 1918, he'd say, "Shut up, my team hasn't won since 1917."

Weird that the year after the Red Sox finally win one that the White Sox won theirs. 86 and 88 years respectively.

Yeah I did wonder why no one cared about the Good Guys' drought.  Not to mention their curse was brought on by team disgrace (Black Sox Scandal) and their only WS appearance between that and 2005 was in 1959.  And what about the poor Phillies?  Having to wait 97 years to get even ONE World Championship and only two NL flags (1915 and 1950) prior to that.

As a White Sox fan for 3 decades; that 2005 win was awesome and I will never forget where I was for each game of the playoffs not just the World Series. But as expected, they received hardly any media coverage (compared to the Red Sox in 2004 and especially the Cubs in 2016). Take for instance when commentators are going over stats or records; rarely will you hear them talk about the White Sox.

For example, looks at their record for the 2005 World Series (11-1). That is an incredible stat that never gets discussed outside of serious baseball related communities. Ask any White Sox fan and they will tell you that this wasn't/isn't a surprise. The team is treated as the redheaded stepchild in Chicago and around the sports media.

22 hours ago, Tulpa said:

BTW, if anyone wants to see a balls out crazy baseball documentary, watch Catching Hell by Alex Gibney about the 2003 Steve Bartman/Cubs NLCS debacle.

Right from the start I thought that was grossly unfair how he was treated...the other fans around him were reaching for the ball just as much as he was!  I hope the ones surrounding him regularly thank God for Zeus or the Flying Spaghetti Monster or whatever that the ball didn't go an inch more a different direction or it could've been them instead!!