IGNORED

Game Debate #187: Batman (NES)

Reed Rothchild

Rate it  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Rate based on your own personal preferences, NOT HISTORICAL SIGNIFICANCE

• 10/10 - One of your very favorite games of all time.
    • 9/10 - Killer f'ing game. Everyone should play it.
    • 8/10 - Great game. Easy to recommend.
    • 7/10 - Very good, but not quite great.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. You might enjoy occasionally playing it.
    • 5/10 - It's okay, but maybe not something you'll go out of your way to play.
    • 4/10 - Meh. There's plenty of better alternatives to this.
    • 3/10 - Not very good.
    • 2/10 - Pretty crappy.
    • 1/10 - Horrible in every way.
    • 0/10 - The Desert Bus of painful experiences. You'd rather shove an icepick in your genitals than play this.
    • Never played it, but you're interested.
    • Never played it, never will.

Just now, elprincipe said:

Fantastic game, I feel a little harsh going for the 9 out of 10. Definitely has a lot going for it on every front, including the (as usual) awesome Sunsoft music:

The drums on that track slaps HARD. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

30 minutes ago, skinnygrinny said:

@Dr. Morbis @OptOut @Link what’s the issue with giving this game an 8 as 4th best in the genre on the console? 

Hey, dude, you can give this game whatever score you feel like, no judgement here. Obviously, you can see I rated it at a 10, so you know where I stand.

The only thing I find funny is I would rate like probably 20 different NES games as 10/10 out of the entire library, at least. And for you, the 4th best action platformer is an 8... and NES's BEST genre is action platformer... So like what... SMB3 is 10, and then Ninja Gaiden and Shatterhand are 9's and then Batman is an 8... So every other game is worse than that is what you're saying, it seems? Every other NES action platformer is 8 and lower.

I dunno, I'm not trying to put words in your mouth it just seems funny on the face of it that your number 4 game only rates 8/10! 😅

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, T-Pac said:

If Batman [NES] was, like, a Power Rangers game or something - I'd probably love it. But I just don't care for the Batman license, and it sours the experience for me. I actually purged this game and a few others from my collection for that exact reason (like TMNT - I'm just not into the Ninja Turtles, either).

As a 90s kid, I've never been so offended. The only thing you're missing is trashing X-Men.

Batman was THE super hero for me growing up. All Batman games being s tier only further deepen the legendary status. 

• Love 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, skinnygrinny said:

@Sumez I think the experience would suffer if the game were longer. It nails the vibe in stage one. The cave is garbage. The wall jumping in the electric shock stage is its peak enjoyment, where the gameplay shines brightest and the experience is tapped.

Not much longer. I was thinking more like one additional ultimate stage that brings everything together. Or you could sacrifice a few of the earlier easy stage for a couple of more challenging ones. As it is I think the game doesn't really come together until the second half. 

41 minutes ago, OptOut said:

The only thing I find funny is I would rate like probably 20 different NES games as 10/10 out of the entire library, at least. And for you, the 4th best action platformer is an 8

8 is really good. I wouldn't even rank 20 games of all time across all platforms a 10 😆

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

44 minutes ago, Sumez said:

8 is really good. I wouldn't even rank 20 games of all time across all platforms a 10 😆

I give out 10's all the time, but all the games I give a 10 I really LOVE you know. I really love my games, I can't say no to them, I truly love all the games I give 10 to, I can't deny them!

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Agree 1

I still haven’t played this. Might try it out for next years backlog.

2 minutes ago, OptOut said:

I give out 10's all the time, but all the games I give a 10 I really LOVE you know. I really love my games, I can't say no to them, I truly love all the games I give 10 to, I can't deny them!

Some people are really weird about giving games a 10. It’s like they think it should be some mythical number only reserved for a few of the best of the best.

Screw that, I say let those 10’s fly when they deserve it. A game doesn’t have to be 100% flawless to gain a 10. If you really love a game and it ticks all your boxes that is a 10 in my mind.

• Love 1

Administrator · Posted
12 minutes ago, OptOut said:

That's totally fair based on the criteria of a ten. You're perfectly welcome to have as many favourite games as you like, and that's all that's needed to be a 10 on these polls. It's not a question of a game being perfect or not, it's whether it's "One of your very favorite games of all time".

I, too, have a long list of 10s.

• Love 1

1 hour ago, Brickman said:

Some people are really weird about giving games a 10. It’s like they think it should be some mythical number only reserved for a few of the best of the best.

Well. NES Batman is really good, but if it were a 10, that wouldn't really demonstrate well the gap that still exists between it and something like Dark Souls or TGM2. There are 9 other steps on the chart to pick from, use them. 

3 hours ago, OptOut said:

Hey, dude, you can give this game whatever score you feel like, no judgement here. Obviously, you can see I rated it at a 10, so you know where I stand.

The only thing I find funny is I would rate like probably 20 different NES games as 10/10 out of the entire library, at least. And for you, the 4th best action platformer is an 8... and NES's BEST genre is action platformer... So like what... SMB3 is 10, and then Ninja Gaiden and Shatterhand are 9's and then Batman is an 8... So every other game is worse than that is what you're saying, it seems? Every other NES action platformer is 8 and lower.

I dunno, I'm not trying to put words in your mouth it just seems funny on the face of it that your number 4 game only rates 8/10! 😅

😂 it is funny looking at it that way. And I’m not offend (I have no feelings) just curious why it was funny. You’re right I based the 8 off comparing it to smb3 (10) and ninja gaiden/shatterhand (9). I didn’t have the rest of the library in mind. I’m laughing to myself right now understanding that I would probably rate adventure island a 9 but still rank it lower than Batman. 

• Haha 1

Editorials Team · Posted

9 minutes ago, skinnygrinny said:

😂 it is funny looking at it that way. And I’m not offend (I have no feelings) just curious why it was funny. You’re right I based the 8 off comparing it to smb3 (10) and ninja gaiden/shatterhand (9). I didn’t have the rest of the library in mind. I’m laughing to myself right now understanding that I would probably rate adventure island a 9 but still rank it lower than Batman. 

Ignore him.  He gave the PS1 a 1/10 as a console.  He doesn't get to judge anyone's scores 😆

• Wow! 2
  • Haha 2
  • Eyeroll 1

1 hour ago, Sumez said:

Well. NES Batman is really good, but if it were a 10, that wouldn't really demonstrate well the gap that still exists between it and something like Dark Souls or TGM2. There are 9 other steps on the chart to pick from, use them. 

I don't rate games like that. I don't look at Dark Souls (definitely a 10 for me) and then compare how it sizes up against OoT (another 10 for me). Both are completely different games and get a 10 for a different reason.

I recently played Beyond Good and Evil and gave it a 10. Is it better than Dark Souls? Nope. But it still deserves a 10 for its own reasons.

If I love a game and think it deserves it why be afraid to give it a 10? It doesn't have to be perfect. If some features of it let the game down a little then I can knock some points off it.

Don't fear the 10, embrace it!

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, DefaultGen said:

The average game is a 5. Embrace the 5.

Yeah the flip side to my embrace the 10 is that we should probably embrace the 5 more. It is the middle of the road score, which a lot of games are. But when people see a 5 they think it is awful.

For horror movies I go 4 or higher and the rest 5 or higher, but some people won't watch a movie unless it scores 8+. You miss a lot of good movies that way. I think it would probably be similar with games.

2 hours ago, Brickman said:

Yeah the flip side to my embrace the 10 is that we should probably embrace the 5 more. It is the middle of the road score, which a lot of games are. But when people see a 5 they think it is awful.

The issue is that he mostly picks great/popular games that people are going to be passionate enough to want to post about.  If he was doing polls on Adventures of Rad Gravity and World Champ or any other "average" 5/10 games, how many posts would there be in these threads?  Go take a look at the list of games polled thus far and you'll see that the large majority are 8/10+ titles...

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, OptOut said:

I'm actually okay with the logic there tbh.  I'm not big onto action platformers at all (how the NES is my favourite console I don't know...probably just nostalgia 😛 ), so even the best of the best of them wouldn't get a 10 from me.

5 hours ago, Sumez said:

One should be comparing games to their contemporaries when rating them.  Otherwise older games couldn't possibly get anything close to what current games would based on technical limitations alone.

22 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

The issue is that he mostly picks great/popular games that people are going to be passionate enough to want to post about.  If he was doing polls on Adventures of Rad Gravity and World Champ or any other "average" 5/10 games, how many posts would there be in these threads?  Go take a look at the list of games polled thus far and you'll see that the large majority are 8/10+ titles...

Yeah.  I would much rather see some oddball titles thrown in here and there, but putting crap games in won't generate any real discussion.

32 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Oh yeah for sure. I wasn’t talking about the games being posted, more an in general thing.

Editorials Team · Posted
1 hour ago, the_wizard_666 said:

Yeah.  I would much rather see some oddball titles thrown in here and there, but putting crap games in won't generate any real discussion.

image.png.ce405aff805313e5b7d240a71a9c4fb5.png

image.png.94a16afc4ba7723c7d9fda65e490d686.png

Arguably the oddball video game, but the thread flopped. 

...though it looks like @JamesRobot and @DarkTone both gave scores but never actually voted 😆

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1