IGNORED

Game Debate #187: Batman (NES)

Reed Rothchild

Rate it  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Rate based on your own personal preferences, NOT HISTORICAL SIGNIFICANCE

• 10/10 - One of your very favorite games of all time.
    • 9/10 - Killer f'ing game. Everyone should play it.
    • 8/10 - Great game. Easy to recommend.
    • 7/10 - Very good, but not quite great.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. You might enjoy occasionally playing it.
    • 5/10 - It's okay, but maybe not something you'll go out of your way to play.
    • 4/10 - Meh. There's plenty of better alternatives to this.
    • 3/10 - Not very good.
    • 2/10 - Pretty crappy.
    • 1/10 - Horrible in every way.
    • 0/10 - The Desert Bus of painful experiences. You'd rather shove an icepick in your genitals than play this.
    • Never played it, but you're interested.
    • Never played it, never will.

1 hour ago, Reed Rothchild said:

image.png.ce405aff805313e5b7d240a71a9c4fb5.png

image.png.94a16afc4ba7723c7d9fda65e490d686.png

Arguably the oddball video game, but the thread flopped. 

...though it looks like @JamesRobot and @DarkTone both gave scores but never actually voted 😆

Well, you gotta pick something that people have still played 😆 I'd say anything up to N64 could work, since it's a retro site and a ton of people would've played what they're collecting.  But I would say the more recent a game gets, the less likely there'll be a huge audience for the obscure.

Editorials Team · Posted
51 minutes ago, the_wizard_666 said:

Well, you gotta pick something that people have still played 😆 I'd say anything up to N64 could work, since it's a retro site and a ton of people would've played what they're collecting.  But I would say the more recent a game gets, the less likely there'll be a huge audience for the obscure.

Yep, we've seen that again again again here.  Bloodborne and Elden Ring get sparse votes.  Fester's Quest gets a bunch.

I have done more NES than anything else (by a decent margin), with Genesis and and N64 probably coming up 2nd and 3rd.  But we need some variety.  I try to hit a lot of gaming history's heavy hitters.

...and Deadly Premonition is arguably the biggest cult game of all time.  Just not with this particular crowd 😛

5 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Yep, we've seen that again again again here.  Bloodborne and Elden Ring get sparse votes.  Fester's Quest gets a bunch.

I have done more NES than anything else (by a decent margin), with Genesis and and N64 probably coming up 2nd and 3rd.  But we need some variety.  I try to hit a lot of gaming history's heavy hitters.

...and Deadly Premonition is arguably the biggest cult game of all time.  Just not with this particular crowd 😛

Yeah, thats fair.  It's partly knowing the audience, but I do appreciate seeing some come up.  I've just got a hard time being interested when it's a game I've never played and isn't something I'd be interested in playing.

7 hours ago, Brickman said:

If I love a game and think it deserves it why be afraid to give it a 10? It doesn't have to be perfect. If some features of it let the game down a little then I can knock some points off it.

I feel the exact same way, so your point is odd to me 🙂

If 10 is your/my absolute favorites such as Dark souls and so on, then surely 9, merely a single tick away if ten, must also be an insanely good game, right?

Dont fear the 9 🙂

4 hours ago, the_wizard_666 said:

One should be comparing games to their contemporaries when rating them.  Otherwise older games couldn't possibly get anything close to what current games would based on technical limitations alone.

I disagree completely, why should that be a limitation? A bad game doesn't become better by being released at the same time as another bad game 🙂

I have at least three 10/10 games that are older than NES Batman. 

Like @Brickmansays though of course, a score should be based on the game's own merits, not on comparison. But obviously I do think these games are also better than the vast majority of other games released the following 30+ years. Not just the games from the same year. 

20 minutes ago, Sumez said:

I feel the exact same way, so your point is odd to me 🙂

If 10 is your/my absolute favorites such as Dark souls and so on, then surely 9, merely a single tick away if ten, must also be an insanely good game, right?

Dont fear the 9 🙂

Ahhh ok, sorry totally misread your comment then 😆 Agreed.

38 minutes ago, Sumez said:

I disagree completely, why should that be a limitation? A bad game doesn't become better by being released at the same time as another bad game 🙂

I have at least three 10/10 games that are older than NES Batman. 

Like @Brickmansays though of course, a score should be based on the game's own merits, not on comparison. But obviously I do think these games are also better than the vast majority of other games released the following 30+ years. Not just the games from the same year. 

I'm thinking along the lines of how I've seen some reviews that are like "the graphics on this NES game aren't bad, but they don't compare to Dark Souls so they get a 2."  Like of course it's gonna look like shit if it's compared to something later.  There are a few metrics that work regardless, like the overall enjoyment factor, but one shouldn't be factoring in things that have no bearing on what's in front of you.  But that's just my opinion.  You do you.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Maybe I’m wrong but I feel we need more SNES titles. You could also through in some classic arcade titles and maybe even a pinball machine that’s easily rememberable by anyone who’s ever played pinball in the 80s or 90s.

EDIT

Actually, you did that at least with Metal Slug, which was a good choice.  I’ll have to go back and see what kind of interaction it had.  Of course, there are all the old Namco and Konami classics, but they were often ported so ports can cloud you judgement of what the arcade form was like.

Edited by RH

6 hours ago, the_wizard_666 said:

the graphics on this NES game aren't bad, but they don't compare to Dark Souls so they get a 2."

I don't think that really makes a lot of sense. There are several good looking nes games, but not as many as on later systems. Meanwhile, say, most Atari 2600 games looks pretty bad. 

Sure you can't make a game that looks *like* Dark Souls, but you can make games that look great regardless. Gimmick looks fantastic, doesn't need to be compared to Balloon Fight to see that. 

Events Team · Posted

Dude, Batman NES is a 10.  It's in the conversation for best video game based on a movie.  Up there with Star Wars Arcade and GoldenEye.  And certainly the best film property on the Nintendo.  The play is tight, atmosphere and graphics are amazing.  Particularly the cut scenes.  I mean, check out the Batmobile.

1NmQ.gif

8359ba1e1e878be0ef486d54f3bb9641.gif

• Like 2
  • Love 2
  • Agree 3

I was going to give it an 8/10, but decided to give it a 9/10.

Much like a lot of classic movies (Back to the Future) and video games (Mega Man), this is a game that I can go back to pretty much every year and not get tired of. Awesome soundtrack (gotta love that "Sunsoft Bass"), cool cutscenes (some of the best on the NES), not too easy or too hard, and the wall jump maneuver. I recorded the soundtrack in 2008 (it's in my NES Soundtracks playlist on my YouTube Channel), and also recorded the two music tracks exclusive to prototype versions of the game.

image.jpeg.b119c732cd2f94b68d043cf3ef1bf5ce.jpeg

(2020 pic)

Edited by MegaMan52
  • Like 3

51 minutes ago, JamesRobot said:

Dude, Batman NES is a 10.  It's in the conversation for best video game based on a movie.  Up there with Star Wars Arcade and GoldenEye.  And certainly the best film property on the Nintendo.  The play is tight, atmosphere and graphics are amazing.  Particularly the cut scenes.  I mean, check out the Batmobile.

1NmQ.gif

8359ba1e1e878be0ef486d54f3bb9641.gif

Batman has a great soundtrack as is expected from Sunsoft. See also Blaster Master and Journey to Silius.

I love the use of colors. It has a dark and gritty atmosphere that is not so common for a NES game.

It just feels good to play, especially the wall jump mechanic once you get the knack for it. One of the earliest games I can think of that uses wall jumping.

Infinite continues and being able to farm health and ammo makes it very beatable. But once you get good then you won't need to abuse these aspects.

The only real negatives I can think of are that scoring is a joke and so are all those B's you pick up. The game might as well not even have a score. And there's a bit of a delay when you jump which takes some getting used to. Other than those nitpicks it's an easy 10.

• Like 3

Graphics Team · Posted
On 1/19/2024 at 10:42 AM, RegularGuyGamer said:

As a 90s kid, I've never been so offended. The only thing you're missing is trashing X-Men.

Batman was THE super hero for me growing up. All Batman games being s tier only further deepen the legendary status. 

I know, I know ... but if it's any consolation, I don't dislike Batman or TMNT. They're just not my thing.

I'm sure you'd feel that same way if we were talking about a game based on MY favorite childhood franchises, like Bionicle or Naruto or something. Like ... "this game is cool, but I'd probably like it better without the licensed tie-in..."

Or maybe I'm just weird - I've always preferred games to have a standalone theme that isn't connected to a movie, TV series, comic book, etc.

[T-Pac]

1 hour ago, G-type said:

Great music and visuals. The ninja gaiden wall jumping stuff is cool. I made it to the final bosses but never beat them.

Firebug, the dude before the Joker, is pretty easy. My method is stand on the far left, jump the fireballs, and throw a batarang as soon as he leaps. He almost always jumps into the rang, takes several hits, and then jumps back. Takes a hot minute, but if you get the pattern down he's toast.

Everyone and their grandma has their own method of trying to take down the Joker. I usually resort to the standard "punch like he actually killed your parents" method, but ranging works, too, if you have enough. Just have to position yourself between the lightning and get the gun/charge patterns down. 

The spear and three shot are useless on Joker. You need something that can score multiple hits like the rangs or does big damage like the punches. 

Edited by Tulpa