IGNORED

How to dispense with things when you're gone...

2 minutes ago, Gloves said:

Lmao huge metal cups. 

Not trying to derail this conversation but what is it with many/most women needing to be reminded to stay hydrated?  I drink at least a gallon a day because, you know, my thirst needs to be quenched.

I use to think it was just my wife but the near two decades we've been married, I've known to ask if she's feeling crabby or having a bad day, "Did you drink any water today?"  95% of the time the answer is no and when she downs a glass, she feels better.  It doesn't surprise me that my wife acts this way because we all have our quirks.  What surprised me was in the last 10 years or so, I learned women don't drink water?!  Why?!  Why would you not quinch your thirst?

Anyway, those giant cups are all just to serve as reminders that they need to stay hydrated or else they will hate the world.  Lol.

They're 10 and 11.  While I might consider parting with some things to help with their college or something, I'm not going to give them things that will be subject to their preteen whims.  While the older one I could see being smart with it, the younger one is extremely impulsive with money.  

I've already come up with my strat for solving this problem. On the eve of my 64th birthday, I will gather the townsfolk for a celebration and feast in the village square. There will be much eating, drinking, dancing and merriment. As the sun begins to set, the local children will be tasked with carrying all the sacred objects from my game room, and guided in the construction of a vast effigy in my image.

Just before the stroke of midnight, an unnatural hush will fall upon the now somber crowd, as I ascend to a seated position in the crown of the effigy. As the winds pick up and strangely oppressive clouds gather, many of the townsfolk share fearful glances and some breakdown in tears. Once ready, I begin the ritual, crying out to the heavens with a righteous fury my cursed bargain in a forbidden tongue. The following moments of silence, accented by gentle sobbing and shocked gasps, stretch out for what feels like an eternity, only to broken in an instant by a single deadly bolt from above.

The bargain accepted, the pyre ablaze... I ascend to my final form.

• Like 1
  • Wow! 1
  • Haha 4

14 hours ago, Gloves said:

Hey man just a heads up every time you do this it looks a bit shady. 

I dunno if you intend to send him advice, but if so it'd be nice to share with the rest of the class. It's a forum, so kinda the whole point is that we're out here sharing info with each other on topics like this. 

On the flip, and based on your past similar posts, one has to assume you're gonna message him with something like "I'll buy everything you've got" or worse yet "I want specifically your rare things". 

The vagueness of your post leaves it to personal interpretation and every time you make a post like this in a thread where someone is asking for advice (and not saying "hey who wants to buy my stuff?") at least a few people I imagine roll their eyes and go "this fuckin guy again". 

11 hours ago, Gloves said:

In this instance that may well be the case, but I just wanted to share with him cuz he's said before he cares about how he's presenting himself, and it's not the first time he's come into a thread where someone is like "does anyone know what I have here?" and he's like "pmed". Just genuinely looking out, not policing it in this case. 

Mostly, I appreciate the honesty but I'll address each of your statements below.

The reason I was going to message him privately is because I wanted to offer him support as someone that has to navigate my own mental health struggles every day. Autism isn't nearly as debilitating as anxiety / depression / bipolar but day after day after day after day being constantly bombarded with people telling you you're doing something wrong or stupid and telling you you're dumb just because I have trouble understanding, I get it. I just want him to know he's not alone here, this is just one of multiple support systems available. There's also 811 here in Calgary, I think it's a mental health line they just launched last week if I remember correctly and I think Telus also has some sort of Health Link that is usually covered by health insurance. I think they also give people a free hour or something like that.

I also wanted to offer my help. I'm one of a few people that knows what it's like to manage a $100,000 video game collection and what's involved in that. I can go by his house and go through boxes, categorize stuff, organize and catalogue. I can even get him set up on my mobile application which is a collection tracker and also has pricing (a little outdated only because I'm building a machine learning model to replace it). That way he can simply add it to his nieces' phones and it's all there. I've been unloading hundreds of Wii and PlayStation games on Kijiji lately and don't mind listing all of the junk games and meeting with people near my place to sell them for him. I can do all of this next weekend with him or I can help out his nieces if something happens. Everything is totally free and I'm not shopping for myself. I'd actually like to go digging just to see what's there.

Addressing your next post, I have to assume you're speaking specifically about me doing that and not paying fair value because if I offer to buy everything someone is selling, isn't that the point of selling it? The only time I would ever not offer fair value is when I want something but just not that badly. For example, I want a Mega Man X3 box which is worth hundreds of dollars but I'm not willing to pay more than $100 for one. I have no interest in reselling so why would I pay more than what it's worth to me? They say no, we both move on, no problem. A month ago I paid $2400 for Panic Restaurant which is worth $2500, I'd say that's fair value. I paid more because I wanted it more. I've paid thousands of dollars for prototypes, $1500 for Surprise At Dinosaur Peak a few months ago and the list goes on. If I want it badly, I pay a lot. If I don't want it badly, I offer much less. Would you pay $1000 for something you don't want that's worth $10,000? I wouldn't, it isn't worth my time to resell it and I don't care about the money.

Your next point, I do care what people think about me (to an extent) but only because I always have to assume my negative interactions are some byproduct of my mental health struggles. However, I'm not sure how I would have gotten this reputation because I've never done this, not even once. Any time anyone has come in here with an actual rare item and I tried to buy it, it was always out in the open, nothing private. The guy with the Minnesota State Lottery cartridge, I never messaged him at all, I posted it publicly. The guy with the Mah-Jong cartridge, no private message, I posted it publicly. The prototypes I've bought here, the rest of the NES games, everything was publicly requested. I have not once messaged someone privately without posting my intentions publicly and there is absolutely no way I would ever use an initialism as a verb (pmed). My brain would explode.

So:

• I'm sorry I got that reputation
  • I don't know how I got that reputation
  • I'm even more sorry Mike is going through this
  • I want to help Mike any way I can, whether that's now or at any point in the future. He's free to pass on my number
  • I would go to his funeral if something happened, of course I would. And so would half of the local Facebook community we're in, we all would
  • It's going to be -45 degrees tomorrow (not kidding) but once it warms up I wouldn't mind going by to see you for an hour or two, get some food or a drink or something if you feel up to it. I could even bring you something.

One last thing. I meant to address this in one of the points above but now I don't know where to insert it. I'm aware Mike has many uncommon games including a Myriad which I desperately need for my collection. However, he isn't selling it, his intentions have been stated and I'm not here to make offers on it. If he wants my help going through things that aren't for sale then I will respect that. I'm not a monster.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

This post is solely in response to the original question. I told my girlfriend if something happens to me she can do whatever she wants with it. Literally anything, I told her she can throw it into a dumpster for all I care, it doesn't matter to me. I mean, if I'm dead, why would I care? How would I care? I told her the easiest would just be to drop it off at Video Game Trader and Jeff can call her when he prices it all, don't even bother trying to sell it privately. Or send it all to Heritage, doesn't matter.

• Like 1

Administrator · Posted
11 minutes ago, Code Monkey said:

Mostly, I appreciate the honesty but I'll address each of your statements below.

The reason I was going to message him privately is because I wanted to offer him support as someone that has to navigate my own mental health struggles every day. Autism isn't nearly as debilitating as anxiety / depression / bipolar but day after day after day after day being constantly bombarded with people telling you you're doing something wrong or stupid and telling you you're dumb just because I have trouble understanding, I get it. I just want him to know he's not alone here, this is just one of multiple support systems available. There's also 811 here in Calgary, I think it's a mental health line they just launched last week if I remember correctly and I think Telus also has some sort of Health Link that is usually covered by health insurance. I think they also give people a free hour or something like that.

I also wanted to offer my help. I'm one of a few people that knows what it's like to manage a $100,000 video game collection and what's involved in that. I can go by his house and go through boxes, categorize stuff, organize and catalogue. I can even get him set up on my mobile application which is a collection tracker and also has pricing (a little outdated only because I'm building a machine learning model to replace it). That way he can simply add it to his nieces' phones and it's all there. I've been unloading hundreds of Wii and PlayStation games on Kijiji lately and don't mind listing all of the junk games and meeting with people near my place to sell them for him. I can do all of this next weekend with him or I can help out his nieces if something happens. Everything is totally free and I'm not shopping for myself. I'd actually like to go digging just to see what's there.

Addressing your next post, I have to assume you're speaking specifically about me doing that and not paying fair value because if I offer to buy everything someone is selling, isn't that the point of selling it? The only time I would ever not offer fair value is when I want something but just not that badly. For example, I want a Mega Man X3 box which is worth hundreds of dollars but I'm not willing to pay more than $100 for one. I have no interest in reselling so why would I pay more than what it's worth to me? They say no, we both move on, no problem. A month ago I paid $2400 for Panic Restaurant which is worth $2500, I'd say that's fair value. I paid more because I wanted it more. I've paid thousands of dollars for prototypes, $1500 for Surprise At Dinosaur Peak a few months ago and the list goes on. If I want it badly, I pay a lot. If I don't want it badly, I offer much less. Would you pay $1000 for something you don't want that's worth $10,000? I wouldn't, it isn't worth my time to resell it and I don't care about the money.

Your next point, I do care what people think about me (to an extent) but only because I always have to assume my negative interactions are some byproduct of my mental health struggles. However, I'm not sure how I would have gotten this reputation because I've never done this, not even once. Any time anyone has come in here with an actual rare item and I tried to buy it, it was always out in the open, nothing private. The guy with the Minnesota State Lottery cartridge, I never messaged him at all, I posted it publicly. The guy with the Mah-Jong cartridge, no private message, I posted it publicly. The prototypes I've bought here, the rest of the NES games, everything was publicly requested. I have not once messaged someone privately without posting my intentions publicly and there is absolutely no way I would ever use an initialism as a verb (pmed). My brain would explode.

So:

• I'm sorry I got that reputation
  • I don't know how I got that reputation
  • I'm even more sorry Mike is going through this
  • I want to help Mike any way I can, whether that's now or at any point in the future. He's free to pass on my number
  • I would go to his funeral if something happened, of course I would. And so would half of the local Facebook community we're in, we all would
  • It's going to be -45 degrees tomorrow (not kidding) but once it warms up I wouldn't mind going by to see you for an hour or two, get some food or a drink or something if you feel up to it. I could even bring you something.

One last thing. I meant to address this in one of the points above but now I don't know where to insert it. I'm aware Mike has many uncommon games including a Myriad which I desperately need for my collection. However, he isn't selling it, his intentions have been stated and I'm not here to make offers on it. If he wants my help going through things that aren't for sale then I will respect that. I'm not a monster.

See like, that all sounds lovely. It's just the cynicism people have from being in the "game" for so long - people see cryptic "PM'd" messages and tend to assume the worst. Naturally you don't have to pour out your intentions publicly, but on the same note if you weren't going to say publicly what the PM was about, why post that you were going to PM? From that point anyone can assume anything, and it often looks like putting a stake in the ground for later disputes about who reached out first etc.. You could technically just as easily have PM'd him something like "Hey man no time to chat now but I'm gonna PM you more after work, just wanted to let you know", rather than the approach you've taken.

I dunno that anyone thinks you necessarily lowball or make unfair offers, it's just been a common thread with people with similar behaviours. You've said before that you appreciate when people let you know about this stuff, so I just wanted to share with you why you might feel you're being treated in a certain way from some people sometimes. I personally don't have any real qualms with you, and I could have PM'ed yoy all this equally so to my own points, but I feel like you also don't mind having these conversations publicly. If I'm wrong there PM me and tell me to take it to private chat, and I'll happily do so next time. But like, again, the stuff you posted in response to me is the side people don't see of you when you just post "PMing you". Ya know?

5 minutes ago, Gloves said:

See like, that all sounds lovely. It's just the cynicism people have from being in the "game" for so long - people see cryptic "PM'd" messages and tend to assume the worst. Naturally you don't have to pour out your intentions publicly, but on the same note if you weren't going to say publicly what the PM was about, why post that you were going to PM? From that point anyone can assume anything, and it often looks like putting a stake in the ground for later disputes about who reached out first etc.. You could technically just as easily have PM'd him something like "Hey man no time to chat now but I'm gonna PM you more after work, just wanted to let you know", rather than the approach you've taken.

I dunno that anyone thinks you necessarily lowball or make unfair offers, it's just been a common thread with people with similar behaviours. You've said before that you appreciate when people let you know about this stuff, so I just wanted to share with you why you might feel you're being treated in a certain way from some people sometimes. I personally don't have any real qualms with you, and I could have PM'ed yoy all this equally so to my own points, but I feel like you also don't mind having these conversations publicly. If I'm wrong there PM me and tell me to take it to private chat, and I'll happily do so next time. But like, again, the stuff you posted in response to me is the side people don't see of you when you just post "PMing you". Ya know?

No worries. I was late leaving the house this morning because I was so engrossed with reading this thread while eating my cereal. I literally posted that I would talk with him later, put my bowl in the sink and walked out the door to go to work. And I was still 5 minutes late getting there.

I just wanted to throw something out that he's not alone, I just couldn't message him immediately.

• Like 3

I honestly don't see what the issue is with people messaging about specific things.  I can see given the context of this thread in particular how it might be viewed weird, but I feel like a random PM asking for things that wasn't mentioned in the thread would be far scuzzier.  But even then, I would never fault someone for shooting their shot.  That said, I had a feeling @Code Monkey wasn't planning to scoop rares off me during a depression.  It simply wouldn't make sense based on what I know about him.  Sure, I could see him asking about specific items, but only if I had actually MENTIONED them.  He knows a few of them, and I've stated I wasn't looking to sell them.  I also gave him free reign to make offers if he chose to do so, but also warned him that my price might be beyond sanity because I wasn't looking to move on from them.  So had it actually been offers, it wouldn't have been shocking.

Anyway, I also know this thread may have got some people worried about me.  Honestly, I'll be okay.  I've struggled longer than I can remember with bipolar disorder and general depression, coupled with what is likely ADHD and possibly other underlying issues.  The worst part is that I haven't been properly treated for it, and am working on that process.  I have life issues on top that have caused my mind to spiral.  But with that said, despite having suicidal thoughts, I'm not at a point where that's a thing I am actually considering.  And I have resources available if that changes.  I'm struggling, sure, but I'm not in danger at this point.  The thoughts did lead me to this topic, but it wasn't a cry for help so much as just a place my mind went while thinking about what I'd be leaving behind.  Believe me, I do appreciate the concerns and all, but hopefully this corner will be turned in due time. 

Anyway, I'm not worried about logging the games, though I have yet to find an app that has everything I have.  Even Pricecharting is missing a bunch of stuff.  And then it gets complicated considering the piles of peripherals, consoles, books, pamphlets, merch, etc.  Short of putting together my own spreadsheets I don't know a good way to document it all.  And adding values, keeping it all updated, etc...that to me is just a bit outside of my skillset.  Trawling through the boxes isn't as daunting as some would think, despite the quantity.  It's the documentation that gets me.

• Like 2

@the_wizard_666, I think there are 2 separate issues from what I can tell from your original post:

1. “I feel not quite well mentally and physically”. This is an important statement that shouldn’t be glossed over, and for others to put more focus on the valuation of your games. If you are feeling rundown/depressed/burnout, my genuine advice is to focus on getting yourself better first and foremost (if applicable). Thinking too much about the “what to do” and the “what ifs” might wear you down even further rather than help to solve your issues. In the least, don’t let the thinking of your future inventory sales to be more of a mental burden than what you’re feeling now. 

2. What’s the best way to go about to release your games to the family members to make it as easy for them as possible while not allowing them to be ripped off by other people?

I don’t think it’s ever going to be an easy answer, because it would depend on various factors that are unknown:

- family members’ future attitudes on your collection?

- family members’ health and available time to sell off the collection if they plan to sell? 

- prices for games into the future can look drastically different to the values of the present. 

I don’t want to overcomplicate things for you, but just want to point out the perspective that the “best answer” to your topic today, might not be the “best answer” in the future. I think keep the plan simple, but don’t expect it to go 100% smooth should be the expectation.

On 1/10/2024 at 6:41 AM, a3quit4s said:

If I had no one that shared the interest but had family who would likely have to sell my shit, I’d probably just take the time to document how to come up with a valuation per game or just what I think the current value of the stuff is and have them add a couple points per year since it was created or update it regularly. What we know isn’t really rocket science no matter how smart we think we are. I’d leave a contact for them on here with my username and password so they can seek advice. I’d let them know they aren’t going to get 100% of value no matter how they shake it out and should sell in one go if possible for 50-60% of retail value. I’d did the same thing with our finances and printed it out for my wife just in case the worst happens to me. Take the time to write stuff down and share it! 

My contact for them would be @MrWunderful cause he is a cool dude and bang bang niner fan for life. @Reed Rothchild is too busy making lists lmao. @skinnygrinny would be a close second cause he is the only person in Florida I’d trust hahaha

I got you bro 👊

• Like 1
  • Love 1

20 hours ago, TrekMD said:

I already planned this on my will.  Right now the plan is for the stuff to go to a retro gaming museum.

is there a museum? and would they even take it? i obviously don't know what you collect, but just thinking out loud, a museum may not even want it, depending on what it is, condition, etc.

Edited by final fight cd
  • Agree 1

I've been thinking about this since I really began collecting, years ago, and I always land back on these two items:

- one or two games to keep in my memory

- names of both foundations to donate specific games, and auction houses to liquidate the rest

realistically none of my surviving family will want to deal with my stuff. giving direct and clear advice on how to deal with it all feels like the right move.

Edited by inasuma

On 1/14/2024 at 4:24 PM, final fight cd said:

is there a museum? and would they even take it? i obviously don't know what you collect, but just thinking out loud, a museum may not even want it, depending on what it is, condition, etc.

There are at least three that I'm aware of.  Oh, there's interest.  When my attorney called two of, they were eager to learn who it was and what the collection included. 

Edited by TrekMD

4 hours ago, TrekMD said:

There are at least three that I'm aware of.  Oh, there's interest.  When my attorney called two of, they were eager to learn who it was and what the collection included.  I have over 2500 games, so it is not a small collection.

2500 sounds pretty small. 

11 hours ago, TrekMD said:

There are at least three that I'm aware of.  Oh, there's interest.  When my attorney called two of, they were eager to learn who it was and what the collection included.  I have over 2500 games, so it is not a small collection.

Im making assumptions about your age,  but I’m assuming you are expecting to live another 30-40 years, if not longer?  Very surprised that two of them seemed interested about a collection they may or may not inherit in 40 years.

Edited by final fight cd

On 1/13/2024 at 8:23 PM, TrekMD said:

I already planned this on my will.  Right now the plan is for the stuff to go to a retro gaming museum.

You are a much better person than me, I’ve spent way too much money on this, relative to my overall net worth, to just give it away to a museum. Not that a museum would want it anyways, but I’d rather my family keep it for sentimental value or because they like the hobby. Or sell it to fund some venture or something that will bring them the happiness the games brought me.

I would say if I do have something of historical value that my family allow someone to document it and make a fair offer on it if they do wish.

Edited by a3quit4s

22 minutes ago, final fight cd said:

Im making assumptions about your age,  but I’m assuming you are expecting to live another 30-40 years, if not longer?  Very surprised that two of them seemed interested about a collection they may or may not inherit in 40 years.

Museums will generally express interest if someone calls them to ask about donating stuff to them.  Even if they don't know the timeline!

13 minutes ago, a3quit4s said:

You are a much better person than me, I’ve spent way too much money on this, relative to my overall net worth, to just give it away to a museum. Not that a museum would want it anyways, but I’d rather my family keep it for sentimental value or because they like the hobby. Or sell it to fund some venture or something that will bring them the happiness the games brought me.

I would say if I do have something of historical value that my family allow someone to document it and make a fair offer on it if they do wish.

Well, nothing stops me from selling it at any time but I have the will in place should something unexpected happen.  I also have a clause that if my family wants to keep it, or part of it, they can. 

Edited by TrekMD
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, TrekMD said:

Museums will generally express interest if someone calls them to ask about donating stuff to them.  Even if they don't know the timeline!

Well, nothing stops me from selling it at any time but I have the will in place should something unexpected happen.  I also have a clause that if my family wants to keep it, or part of it, they can. 

Ok so you aren’t a better person than me😂🤣

Edited by a3quit4s
  • Haha 1

Editorials Team · Posted
1 minute ago, fcgamer said:

I thought most folks here were like 4K+?

This community is the 'insane" portion of the collector demographic 😆

If I shared my modest (by VGS standards) collection wall with the hundreds of professional nerds I work with, it'd probably draw stunned gasps of amazement and/or disgust.

• Haha 1