IGNORED

How to dispense with things when you're gone...

1 hour ago, Reed Rothchild said:

This community is the 'insane" portion of the collector demographic 😆

If I shared my modest (by VGS standards) collection wall with the hundreds of professional nerds I work with, it'd probably draw stunned gasps of amazement and/or disgust.

while it may not be video game related, more people probably collect stuff than you think.  in fact, most people probably collect something.  social media and people having to brag, people feeling the need to compare themselves to others by looking at social media posts, people buying stuff to fill a void in their lives, the dopamine hits, etc  probably has lead to a rise in collectables all around.

your collection may not be as outrageous as you think.  

I'm hundreds of miles away from any of my family. The only person notably younger than me is my nephew and I doubt he'd be interested. I'll just take care of these things myself when I'm getting to that age, if I haven't already by then. Games and books and CDs and comics/magazines. Maybe I'll make some new friends in my twilight years selling this stuff to people who will appreciate it. 

55 minutes ago, Mega Tank said:

People posting and bragging about their collection size like they are compensating for something.

Right?  Like, when I saw that comment where 2500 seemed small, it kinda confused me.  I have more than double that, but 2500 games is still a massive collection.  Even Gloves at 550 has a hell of a collection.  Saying it's small is some weird passive aggressive overcompensation imo.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

On 1/16/2024 at 8:41 AM, the_wizard_666 said:

Right?  Like, when I saw that comment where 2500 seemed small, it kinda confused me.  I have more than double that, but 2500 games is still a massive collection.  Even Gloves at 550 has a hell of a collection.  Saying it's small is some weird passive aggressive overcompensation imo.

In this current era, numbers are starting to become meaningless. Pretty much anyone with a steady job can easily buy several big game bundles and voila! Instant 1000 games collection!

Unless of course if someone owns 1000 holy moly grails, then I think that would be pretty cool! Still, the number of the collection alone does not reflect the passion or uniqueness of the collection, it’s simply just…numbers.

• Like 1

My wife has explicit instructions to call ferrisbueller in the case I pass, to help her sort it out and sell it. (My wife is paraplegic and on disability, if I'm not around she needs all the monetary backup she can get) if she's gone and I'm the last to go, my nephew and grandkids inherit the mess 😆 

On 1/16/2024 at 6:11 AM, the_wizard_666 said:

Not really, I was thinking in terms of managing and taming the beast after one has passed. I would presume that most of the collectors here would have documentation somewhere of what games they do and don't have; that would make it much easier for someone else to go in and resell the games. As someone who used to regularly parse through and sell 100+ cart lots every week or so, someone could whittle a collection of that size down in a few months or half a year, without much difficulty . Once you get to the mid thousands in quantities though, one runs into other problems such as finding room to even sort the damn stuff, turning it into a nightmare to try to get rid of it. That's all I was saying.

2 hours ago, fcgamer said:

Not really, I was thinking in terms of managing and taming the beast after one has passed. I would presume that most of the collectors here would have documentation somewhere of what games they do and don't have; that would make it much easier for someone else to go in and resell the games. As someone who used to regularly parse through and sell 100+ cart lots every week or so, someone could whittle a collection of that size down in a few months or half a year, without much difficulty . Once you get to the mid thousands in quantities though, one runs into other problems such as finding room to even sort the damn stuff, turning it into a nightmare to try to get rid of it. That's all I was saying.

That makes sense.  Probably should've put that context into the original post though, cuz it did just sound like slagging the guy 😛

The first thing you should do if you really want a plan for how your stuff is disposed of is: have a will. 

This avoids everything going intestate and leaving it up to the government to determine how it is liquidated, them taking a larger cut, and how it is divided in the end. In a will you can also specify an executor to manage how it's sold.   Give the job to your best friend or your worst enemy depending on how organized you are.  

I'm old, I've helped a number of family members go through estates and it sucks.  If you have your own home and it's paid off there is less urgency to go through it all, but if your executor has to move all that crap within 30 days or keep paying a mortgage/rent it is a bad situation.  Large sweeping decisions get made for the sake of time and sanity and don't be surprised how much gets trashed or thrown in recycling along the way.  

In the end, we're all going to be dust and this plastic will probably outlast us so don't stress on it too much.  Your biggest concern should be how your family is going to remember you afterwards if they had to spend several years of their life in probate dealing with all the stuff you left and no plan.  My 🪙 🪙

• Like 2

As soon as taxes got mentioned i realized you aren't aware that I'm Canadian.  There's no inheritance tax here.  It's also not classed as income, so my family isn't going to have that concern at least.  But yeah, I should probably look into putting it in writing.  My family all knows my wishes, but it never hurts to have a paper trail.  

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/6/2024 at 5:25 PM, Tyree_Cooper said:

throw all in a big fire when you feel your time is coming

That's what I'm doin'. I have nobody to leave it to, throw it all in the lake or set it on fire the minute I kick the bucket. lol

• Haha 1