IGNORED

The 2024 Backlog Challenge

Reed Rothchild

Editorials Team · Posted

I've never even come close to beating all the games I list here, and I've put some thought into Reed's idea of really focusing on the ones that I'm fired up enough to push through. So for 2023 I'm reducing my lofty goal of 6 games down to... 15.

Mr Rogers Clown GIF

In past years I've spent a lot of my gaming time on N64 games for the N64 thread. Since that thread will probably retire this year (wooo!) and since I'm not expecting Nintendo to release another open-world Zelda game in 2024, I'm legitimately expecting to play all of these games. Just Aidyn and TotK took up enough time in 2023 to cover this list. Here goes:

Progress: 5/15

- Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019) CHECK
- Zelda: Skyward Sword CHECK
- A Mario 64 romhack (try out the big ones, make sure I beat one)
- Commander Keen Ep. 4: Secret of the Oracle CHECK
- Commander Keen Ep. 5: The Armageddon Machine
- Ten (10) US Game Boy games that I've never beaten before:
   - Beavis and Butthead CHECK
   - Side Pocket CHECK

• Like 3

Well my progress fell off a cliff in 2023.  Even so I still managed to beat 15 games last year, with roughly half being in my actual backlog.

This year I’m not going to be as specific.

My goal is to beat 25 games total that I already own, and beat any games I buy before November ‘24.  Hopefully, to keep my backlog from growing, to much.

Let’s All Game On.

1. Mario Golf: Super Rush (Switch) 10 hours 12/28/2023 6/10

2. Mario Party Superstars (Switch) 2 hours 1/12/2024 7/10

3. Dragon Spirit: The New Legend (NES) 2 hours 1/12/2024 8.5/10

4. Like A Dragon: Ishin (XBOX Series X) 32 hours 1/26/2024 7.5/10

5. JetPac - Rare Replay  (XBOX One) 1 Hour 1/29/2024 5/10

6. Lunar Jetman - Rare Replay (Xbox One) .5 hour 1/30/2024 3/10

7. Atic Atac - Rare Replay (Xbox One) 1 hour 2/1/2024 5/10

8. LEGO Ninjago Movie Video Game (Switch) 10 hours 2/2/2024 6/10

9. Mega Man 7 - MM Legacy Collection and SNES (PS4 & SNES) 5 hours 9/10

10. Arcade Paradise (PS5) 14 hours 8.5/10

Edited by Lago
  • Like 4

Time to put the 2023 backlog behind me. It was a complete failure. We had a large overseas move and I stored a chunk of my games. This year I am going to create a much smaller listing and hopefully get more bang for my buck.

Game System Completed
Final Fantasy Legend II Game Boy  
Final Fantasy VI Advance Game Boy Advance  
Super Mario Bros Wonder Nintendo Switch  
Star Ocean Second Story R PS5  
TMNT: Shredder's Revenge Switch  
The Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap Game Boy Advance  
Final Fantasy V Advance Game Boy Advance  
Golden Sun Game Boy Advance  
Tunic Nintendo Switch  
Gargoyles Quest Game Boy  

• Like 3

Funny enough my total for 2022 and 2023 was both 14 games

I got a list of about 30 games I want to hit up next year,  if I beat half of them that would still be a record for me.  That might be easier said than done cause there are a lot of rpgs and more meaty games on there.

Playstation 5
Balder's Gate 3
Gigabash
Sea of Stars
Outer Wilds

Switch
Blasphemous 2
Citizen Sleeper
Final Fantasy Pixel Remaster
Gourmet Warriors
The Last Faith
Monster Train
Paper Mario
Prison City
Super Mario RPG
Super Mario Wonder
Wrestlequest

Coming Soon
Mayhem Brawler - Jan 12
Suicide Squad - Feb 2
Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth - Feb 29
Unicorn Overlord - March 8
Princess Peach Showtime - March 22
Gravity Circuit - March 29

TBD 2023
Blade Chimera
Blazing Strike
Contra Operation G
Dragon Warrior 3 2dHD
Little Nightmares 3
Mina the Hollower
Paper Mario 1000 year door
Silk Song
Wolf Amoug us 2

• Like 4

I've been spending some time thinking about this as I want to participate but I don't want to have a list that feels too restrictive. I've decided to group games together, with my goal being to beat at least one game from each group, and 15 games overall from the following:

1. Game Boy - James Bond 007/Kirby's Dreamland 2/Mario's Picross/Mole Mania
  2. Game Gear - Desert Speedtrap/Sonic 2/Sonic Chaos
  3. GameCube - Rayman 3/Star Fox Adventures
  4. Genesis - Animaniacs/Bugs Bunny in Double Trouble/Phantasy Star 2/TaleSpin
  5. PC - Crash Bandicoot 2/Spyro 2/Talos Principle
  6. PS2 - Beyond Good & Evil/Klonoa 2/Prince of Persia: Warrior Within
  7. SNES - ActRaiser 2/Aero the Acrobat/Wanderer from Ys 3
  8. Switch - One game from the Castlevania Advance Collection Circle of the Moon
  9. Switch - Crisis Core/Live-a-Live/Star Ocean First Departure R
  10. Switch - Final Fantasy II/III/Final Fantasy V
Edited by Tantalus
  • Like 4

Got a jump start on the new year!  I beat adventure mode in Mario Golf: Super Rush.  I didn't get a screenshot of the ending.  This game was more fun than I expected.  The first half of the game played more like a regular Mario themed golf game.  Honestly, I almost put the game down at this point as I was getting bored with it.

Then the story mode kicked in and it was so ridiculous I wanted to see what happened next.  Serious spoilers below.  Second half of the game was very entertaining.

Spoiler

Getting a lightning sword, fighting a phoenix to gain flame power, teaming up with Wario and Waluigi, battling a snowman to save bowser.  What the heck?

• Like 1

Social Team · Posted

I'm going to keep this list short this year.  I'll have "more time" to play games but I REALLY want to make sure I don't overwhelm myself with games to beat.  And this list isn't meant to be a "games I've played".  In no particular order...

1. Bugsnax (PS5)
  2. Song in the Smoke Rekindled (PSVR2)
  3. The Light Brigade (PSVR2)
  4. The Walking Dead: Saints & Sinners Chapter 1 (PSVR2)
  5. Psychonauts 2 (PS4)
  6. Job Simulator (PSVR)
  7. Down the Rabbit Hole (PSVR)
  8. Trover Saves the Universe (PSVR)
  9. Pixel Ripped 1989 (PSVR)
  • Like 4

On 12/24/2023 at 11:33 AM, Reed Rothchild said:

I doubt many of us can conquer our list in a single year.  But we can knock chunks of it out.

I myself have Octopath (and Octopath II) in my backlog, but I won't be starting it until next year at the earliest because of all the other JRPGs I have queued up.  If you can hold out, perhaps we can start it in tandem in 2025.

True, even the list I've presented is only a slice of my full backlog. I suppose I can put off Octopath for another year; it's already been on my shelf for 4+ years.

Anyways, apparently I lied about how far I was in Ni no Kuni: Dominion of the Dark Djinn, but the game was also much shorter than the HowLongtoBeat time, unsurprisingly. For reference, I beat it in about 23 hours. Overall the vibes are still very good like Wrath of the White Witch. Most of my issues came from the fan translation, both on the technical side (speaker mixups in sidequests) and on the text side (the literal translation made some characters feel out of character, east/west mixups, heart fragment mixups). With the game itself, I mostly prefer how White Witch executed some plot points, either by giving some arcs more buildup or reframing some cutscenes so it's not just one character lore dumping.

I suppose that means it's time to add more Level5 games to my list.

Administrator · Posted
3 minutes ago, Gaia Gensouki said:

Is it okay to already start our backlogs, even if it isn't 2024 yet?

Right now it feels like the calm before the storm since the challenges are all about to start in just a few days, especially the NES challenge.

I mean you can do whatever you want, really.

• Like 1

Editorials Team · Posted
34 minutes ago, Gaia Gensouki said:

Is it okay to already start our backlogs, even if it isn't 2024 yet?

Right now it feels like the calm before the storm since the challenges are all about to start in just a few days, especially the NES challenge.

Go for it.  Many people roll their lists over year-to-year.  I myself already started some 2024 games.

• Like 1

On 12/24/2023 at 10:33 AM, Reed Rothchild said:

I doubt many of us can conquer our list in a single year.  But we can knock chunks of it out.

i mean, counting digital and compilations, i probably have close to 1000 games. I've beaten 150, maybe 200 of them? I'd like to have the opportunity to play/beat them all. So my total backlog of ALREADY PURCHASED games is like 800+. You start adding new games, or new-to-me buys, and the list is unending.

That's actually what i really like about these threads. it gives us a reason to focus on specific titles, or in my case, a certain series or set of games. it has done wonders for getting and keeping me invested for more than a day. i also enjoy seeing how everyone else makes their list. certain sets? random challenges? sheer volume? i love the variety presented by everyone.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

Made my modest list for the year and I’m excited. A lot of games I’ve had on here for years and some new titles from Pikmin and Kingdom Hearts which I fell I’m love with last year. 

Anyone have recommendations for a good Harry Potter game and a good beginner Final Fantasy game? I’ve never played much RPG’s but I’m starting to get into them so I’d love suggestions to ease into with! 

Editorials Team · Posted
24 minutes ago, Foochie776 said:

Made my modest list for the year and I’m excited. A lot of games I’ve had on here for years and some new titles from Pikmin and Kingdom Hearts which I fell I’m love with last year. 

Anyone have recommendations for a good Harry Potter game and a good beginner Final Fantasy game? I’ve never played much RPG’s but I’m starting to get into them so I’d love suggestions to ease into with! 

By all accounts, Hogwarts Legacy is the best HP game

50 minutes ago, Foochie776 said:

I started with Final Fantasy 7 on PS1.  Fantastic game should take 40-50 hours.

If you’re wanting beginner beginner I think Final Fantasy Mystic Quest on the SNES was specifically made for people new to RPG’s.

but my vote would definitely be 7.

On 11/27/2023 at 6:44 AM, the_wizard_666 said:

2023 was a bust for me, but I liked the idea of 40 games to choose from.  However, I think I want to expand into other parts of my library, so I'm gonna cut my list of NES games down to 10, and pick 30 others from the rest of my backlog -5 each from some of my largest libraries, plus 5 randoms from my smaller ones.  All will be games I've yet to play through but pique my interest for one reason or another.  Anyway, here goes...

NES:
Bandai Golf Challenge: Pebble Beach
Bionic Commando
Desert Commander
Dragon Warrior III
Ghoul School
Godzilla 2
King's Quest V
Magic of Scheherazade, The
Mission Impossible
Rambo

SNES:
Final Fantasy III
Genghis Khan II: Clan of the Grey Wolf
Lufia & the Fortress of Doom
Spider-Man/Venom: Separation Anxiety
Wizardry V: Heart of the Maelstrom 

N64:
Aidyn Chronicles: The First Mage
Donkey Kong 64
Ogre Battle 64
Pokemon Snap
Shadowgate 64

Genesis:
Dungeons & Dragons: Warriors of the Eternal Sun
Might & Magic: Gates to Another World
Mutant League Hockey
Romance of the Three Kingdoms III: Dragon of Destiny
X-Men

PS1:
Armored Core
Board Game: Top Shop
Front Mission 3
Grandia
Risk

PS2:
Asterix & Obelix Kick Buttix
Fire Pro Wrestling Returns
Hobbit, The
Rogue Galaxy
Wizardry: Tale of the Forsaken Land

Xbox:
Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
Fable
Gun
Still Life
Syberia

Xbox 360 (full achievement completions):
Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
Two Worlds II
Warriors Orochi 3
X-Men Destiny

Other:
Darkened Skye (GameCube)
Dungeons & Dragons: Order of the Griffon (TG-16)
Quest of the Rings, The (Odyssey 2)
Record of Lodoss War (Dreamcast)
Tower of Doom (Intellivision)

Hopefully this list gives me more to choose from if I decide I don't feel like playing NES for 11 months again 😛

Edit: Decided to add a couple more systems and increase the total to 50 games.  

*List subject to change any time before January 1, 2024*

Is Donkey Kong 64 a first play for you? It’s easily one of my top 5 favorite games and while it’s got flaws, it’s so charming 

46 minutes ago, Foochie776 said:

Is Donkey Kong 64 a first play for you? It’s easily one of my top 5 favorite games and while it’s got flaws, it’s so charming 

No, but it's been over 20 years since I played it.  I got the DK set actually, so it came with my console.  I got fairly far along but put it down and never returned to it.

• Like 1

and, to cross one more game off before the end of the year (and to kickstart my 2024 backlog), Wario World for the GameCube has been conquered.
the move to 3d had its ups and downs, and this game is an example of both. this game returned to a base of exploration, but also went with the then-current trend of collecting as many sets of things as possible. That has its appeal, and with the relatively short duration of this game, i don't think it was a bad thing, but it can also tend to water the core gameplay down. Again, i think this game found the right balance, but it is certainly 'of its time'.
this game retained its quirky boss enemies, and that is definitely a plus in its category. the difficulty was never unfair or too infuriating (although some of the jumps within that final level left me cursing) and felt like it ramped up at a good pace.
Overall, not a perfect game, but i'm glad i played it.

20231229_165159.jpg

20231229_165051.jpg

• Like 6