IGNORED

The 2024 Backlog Challenge

Reed Rothchild

21 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

The Talos Principle.  Fun stuff.  I had this idea in my head that it was going to be like The Witness, and was initially disappointed that it seems like it isn't.  Except I've never played The Witness so I don't actually know how that plays, or if this plays the same.  So I'm disappointed by things that live entirely in my head.  How silly.

Anyway, after Baba Is You I feel like my brain has sharpened so I didn't have a terribly difficult time here.  Except the stars.  Good luck finding those on your own.  And the late-game DLC stuff has two puzzles that broke my brain.  But other than that it wasn't anything beyond my meager capabilities.Which puzzle was the most difficult according to you? : r/TheTalosPrinciple

1. The Talos Principle (7.5/10)

All 3 of those are among my favorite puzzle games. I really loved the Talos DLC. I thought the regular DLC areas were the best in the game, then the very end of it showed you a bunch of hard-to-wrap-your-brain-around mechanics that they were kind enough not to use more in the regular game. Small Space Big Solution was my favorite puzzle.

The Witness is very different. It's primarily a 2D game that occasionally has 3D environmental solutions, but not really at all the same thing. The Witness never repeats concepts without adding a new complexity though, which is something the main Talos campaign does a few times.

Edited by DefaultGen
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, Gaia Gensouki said:

I don't see a timestamp and don't quite understand what you mean.

I was referring to the note card with your name on it.  Technically not a timestamp, but I thought close enough.

It struck me as above and beyond and I thought it was neat.

Editorials Team · Posted
On 11/27/2023 at 7:40 AM, Gloves said:

Games Played/Beaten

• Collection Site Backlog
    1. N/A
  • Homebrews
    1. Dangan GB (played Jan 1)
    2. Dangan GB2 (beaten Jan 1)
    3. Binding of Isaac: Game Boy Edition (completed Jan 1)
    4. Rex Run (completed Jan 1)
    5. A 20 Second Platformer (completed Jan 2)
    6. Bitterroot (completed Jan 2)
    7. Black Castle (played Jan 2)
    8. Böbl (played Jan 2)
    9. Nebs 'n Debs (played Jan 2)
    10. Porklike: Wurst Comes to Worst (played Jan 2)
    11. Octopus Stressus (beat Jan 2)
  • Games Not On Backlog (e.g. replays or games I don't actually own physically)
    1. Adventures of Dino Riki (completed Jan 1)
    2. Crisis Force (played Jan 2)
    3. Donkey Kong (beat Jan 1)
    4. Donkey Kong Jr. (beat Jan 1)
    5. Donkey Kong 3 (beat Jan 1)
    6. Popeye (beat Jan 1)
    7. Defender II (beat Jan 1)
    8. Galaga (beat Jan 1)
    9. Chessmaster (beat Jan 1)
    10. Millipede (beat Jan 1)
    11. Great Waldo Search (beat Jan 1)
    12. Contra (beat Jan 1)
    13. Ice Hockey (beat Jan 1)
    14. Magmax (beat Jan 1)
    15. Super Sprint (beat Jan 1)
    16. Tetris (beat Jan 1)
    17. Super Mario Bros. 3 (beat Jan 1)
    18. Kabuki: Quantum Fighter (beat Jan 1)
    19. Hogan's Alley (beat Jan 1)
    20. Arch Rivals (beat Jan 1)
    21. M.U.S.C.L.E. (beat Jan 1)
    22. Duck Hunt (beat Jan 1)
    23. Joe & Mac (beat Jan 1)
    24. Pugsley's Scavenger Hunt (beat Jan 1)
    25. S.C.A.T. (beat Jan 1)
    26. Barker Bill's Trick Shooting (beat Jan 1)
    27. Battle Chess (beat Jan 1)
    28. Astyanax (beat Jan 3)

😳

• Haha 1

Started up The Magic of Scheherazade.  Always liked it, but never managed to finish it.  I'm on the third chapter now, kinda flying through the game in all honesty.  It's not hard at all, at least as far as I've made it so far.  Currently on a no death run too, although I'm taking passwords just in case.  I don't plan to use them, I'd sooner leave my system on than input passwords, but this way if the power goes out or something I'm not too screwed 😛

As for Wizardry V, I'm still grinding away at it.  I'm fairly underpowered for the point in the game I'm at.  I've also decided to make progress on the NES completions thread so it's kind of sat by the wayside for the time being.  But I'll get back to it soon enough.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lago said:

I was referring to the note card with your name on it.  Technically not a timestamp, but I thought close enough.

It struck me as above and beyond and I thought it was neat.

Oh, I see. Sorry that I didn't get it at first.

This is just a habit from the NES completions thread, where taking a photo with a name tag like that is highly encouraged, though not absolutely necessary.

Not one of my listed goals for the year, but I did do something I want to share:

Cleared the true last boss with no deaths.  Not sure this has ever been done, or at least not something posted publicly.

• Like 1
  • Wow! 7

Administrator · Posted
4 minutes ago, peg said:

Not one of my listed goals for the year, but I did do something I want to share:

Cleared the true last boss with no deaths.  Not sure this has ever been done, or at least not something posted publicly.

Deathless no bombs when? 

No but seriously, good job! 

I’m off to a good start this year. Another game down. Crash Bandicoot 2 for the GBA

This was a huge improvement over Crash 1 for the GBA. It felt like they took what worked well with the first and just ran with that and left out the rest. The levels felt more fun and although the bosses were easy they were pretty well designed and interesting. Combine it with a decent soundtrack and you end up with a decent Crash game that is quick and fun to play.

I think this one just crosses the line for an 8/10.

• Like 5

One more for the night. Balloon Fight done.

I set the goal of beating the high score on both modes along with clearing round 12 (loops after this) for 1 player mode and reach Rank 1 in Balloon Trip.

Besides Famicom Remix for the 3DS I had never played this game but had always been meaning to get around to it.

It was a pretty fun game and once I got a hang of the controls it got pretty addictive. Probably not a game I will revisit any time soon though. 7.5/10.

• Like 5

10 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

I beat did a bunch of stuff for The Stanley Parable (Ultra Deluxe)

If you find these kinds of games interesting and haven't played it already, you might want to check out the absurdly-titled Dr. Langeskov, The Tiger, and the Terribly Cursed Emerald: A Whirlwind Heist. It's free and a very quick playthrough...and I mean very quick.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'll make my backlog the games I tried in 2023 but didn't finish.  I played:

1.  Super Mario RPG
2.  Super Mario Wonder
3.  Grand Theft auto trilogy remastered (III)
4.  The Great Ace Attorney (Part One)
5.  Atari 50
6.  Mario Odyssey
7.  Breath of the Wild
8.  Wario Ware move it
9.  Dragon Quest Monsters Dark Prince
10. Master Detective Archives Rain Code

• Like 3

I've been posting a lot of games over in the "Games Beaten" thread, but they were all targets for 2023.

I like my list posted on the first page of this thread as a general target for 2024, but as I start more games for '24, I will figure out a way to update in this thread with more detail.  Still, I really finished '23 strong with lots of progress on some classics.  I guess I'm just posting to keep the good vibes going and encourage everyone to dig in however they can.

Edited by wongojack
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

Editorials Team · Posted

The dude from the OP posted an update for how trying to tackle a 1600 hour backlog in 2023 went.  Spoiler: it went off the rails in quite a few ways.

But he learned a number of lessons that I'm sure many of us have either already learned, or will learn shortly.  Namely, don't have games on your backlog that you don't want to play.  Seems obvious enough.

Administrator · Posted
32 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

The dude from the OP posted an update for how trying to tackle a 1600 hour backlog in 2023 went.  Spoiler: it went off the rails in quite a few ways.

But he learned a number of lessons that I'm sure many of us have either already learned, or will learn shortly.  Namely, don't have games on your backlog that you don't want to play.  Seems obvious enough.

I think the difficulty as collectors is that many of us consider our collections as curations of "the best and our favourites". And many of us look at anything in the collection that we've not played as being part of "the backlog". I mean it's there, you paid money for it, surely to play and experience it, right?

I have Devil May Cry 1-3 on PS2. I've only ever played like the first half hour or so of the first game. I have them because they're clearly classic, "must-own" games on the PS2. But they're also not one of my go-to genres. One day I'll play them, but it'll be when I have the time, the patience for difficult games, and am in the mood for that particular style of action-oriented play. Similarly, I love RPGs, however I've never played Final Fantasy X. I own it, of course, it's sitting there waiting to be played. Time and mood.

In terms of non-classic, "must-own" games which are part of my current backlog, I am simply okay with letting go when I play a game and it becomes clear I'm not going to enjoy it. I am fine with purging unbeaten games, in fact I often will use the "Unfinished" filter on my site as a way of identifying games I've played but am not interested in finishing. Then it becomes a matter of "is it a timeless classic that I just didn't like personally, but someone else may one day wish to inherit?" and if not, then it goes into the bedroom shelf of "sell this shit".

Sometimes there are edge cases, like, I love Silent Hill and have collected all the games. The game on Vita sucks ass. But I've thus far kept it because "Oh I have every Silent Hill game" is a cool thing to say to someone once every 5 or so years when it comes up.