IGNORED

2023 VGS NES Weekly Contest - Tournament Round 2

BeaIank

26 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

Here you go @PII. A galaga score. Consider this my apology for my absence week 1. 

I seem to recall you having quite a bit more the last time we played this.

Wow, that PII sure is a hard-to-please-hard-ass, huh?

Sincerely,

Persnickety, Petulant PII

😻

Ps. Good to see you around, tho, bro.  🙂 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, NESfiend said:

If I lose the second ship, can I get it again as long as I don't die?

Good question; I'm under the assumption that you can't, since those second ships are actually spare lives, but we'll see what @BeaIank has to say about it...

EDIT - it's also a lot easier to see that someone has only died once when their picture has the appropriate and verifiable number of ships in reserve on the screen when he takes his picture; if getting the second ship over and over is allowed, we're essentially playing down to our last ship, which is the literal opposite of what a "play until your first death" rule set is supposed to be about.  That's my two and a half cents...

Edited by Dr. Morbis

Events Team · Posted

I am inclined to allow unlimited use of double ships since we are playing till stage 31 and there is some risk involved in getting it. We will be playing till game over or stage 31 since on death the enemies don't respawn on death and you can't burn lives to point press.

I will add a score bonus for each extra ship (including double ship) you have at stage 31 on the rules.

• Like 1
  • Wow! 1

3 minutes ago, BeaIank said:

I am inclined to allow unlimited use of double ships since we are playing till stage 31 and there is some risk involved in getting it. We will be playing till game over or stage 31 since on death the enemies don't respawn on death and you can't burn lives to point press.

I will add a score bonus for each extra ship (including double ship) you have at stage 31 on the rules.

Jimmy Fallon Game Changer GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

I like the new Galaga rules. Great arcade port that I'm not very good at .

Commando really should've had a timer considering how easy it is to point press. Also wish it was programmed better. I like the art but the graphical glitches suck. I had the game as a kid, bought it from a friend, and it seemed shoddy even back then. I'm surprised it wasn't made by Micronics.

1 minute ago, mbd39 said:

I like the new Galaga rules. Great arcade port that I'm not very good at .

Commando really should've had a timer considering how easy it is to point press. Also wish it was programmed better. I like the art but the graphical glitches suck. I had the game as a kid, bought it from a friend, and it seemed shoddy even back then. I'm surprised it wasn't made by Micronics.

Imma point press the hell oot of commando!😉

Kidding. I don’t have time for that shit. I’ve always liked this game though. Lobbing grenades into crowds is enemies and finding a secret ladder to rescue prisoners. I like the music in those secret rooms too.

Low score commando has a similar feel to running with the ball in tecmo super bowl with the entire opposing team chasing you. 

It's actually kinda fun and a million times better than point scumming for hours on end would've been.  Also Tecmo Super Bowl players don't randomly glitch out and disappear after a while, only to have new guys take their place...

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

It's actually kinda fun and a million times better than point scumming for hours on end would've been.  Also Tecmo Super Bowl players don't randomly glitch out and disappear after a while, only to have new guys take their place...

I have to agree to this.  I'm not loving this game but some times the added challenge that makes your games shorter can make them more fun.  I've still yet to be able to push for better scores since I posted mine, but it's good to know that for Commando I could probably get a few runs in, in under 10 minutes.

Galaga rules say play til game over? I thought it was 1 life. @BeaIank @guillavoie

There was no way to really ensure the rules were being followed, as the second ship was permitted.  If you got the ship, your life count would drop.  If you lost it, and then regained it, you would technically still be on your first life, but your lives count would be reduced again.  Playing to game over negates that issue.

• Like 2