IGNORED

2023 VGS NES Weekly Contest - Tournament Round 2

BeaIank

19 minutes ago, PII said:

The cherry on my Sunday was I could've tied BlackVega's Commando score on my best run except I opened fire on the final group of soldiers too early and five more guys came out.  Whoops!  Oh wells.

Nice job Morbo.  Sub 20K is Slick!  Bullets slide offa you!  You play wit 'em!!

And Well done BlackVega on Galaga!  (which you don't like for some reason...?)

Yeah, you had to make sure to wait for the guy to wave the white flag before you opened fire at the end of each level, and I would usually wait a little longer to see if any little duders wanted to just run off the screen on their own, but I still don't know how Blackvega got through two levels without firing a single bullet... that would have been crazy close to 15k if he had made it all the way... like 16k or 17k or something...

6 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Yeah, you had to make sure to wait for the guy to wave the white flag before you opened fire at the end of each level, and I would usually wait a little longer to see if any little duders wanted to just run off the screen on their own, but I still don't know how Blackvega got through two levels without firing a single bullet... that would have been crazy close to 15k if he had made it all the way... like 16k or 17k or something...

Yeah, for some reason I thought I had to take out the center guy on 1-4 but otherwise I was always waiting for the guy to wave the white flag...

I was never able to get more than one or two guys to run off not counting the guy in green who hops around like a bunny.  My lowest level 1 score was 750 not counting the 5k bonus when arriving at 1-2....

3 minutes ago, PII said:

Yeah, for some reason I thought I had to take out the center guy on 1-4 but otherwise I was always waiting for the guy to wave the white flag...

I was never able to get more than one or two guys to run off not counting the guy in green who hops around like a bunny.  My lowest level 1 score was 750 not counting the 5k bonus when arriving at 1-2....

Before this week, I thought that green guy was the leader that you had to kill to beat the level - I literally thought that's how it worked from my first rental of the game like 35 years ago to the present!

I was also killing all three guys in the building on the final base for the first bunch of runs until it finally dawned on me that it would probably just be timed like the other three bases...

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Gloves said:

Unfortunately the batteries in mine have died. Such is life. 

IMG_20231204_010539.jpg

Pretty sure it's just one Phillips screw holding the cover over a standard watch battery in the back of the left one in the picture, as that's how mine works.  As for the smaller one on the right, let me know when you're ready to sell it to a huge Adventure Island fan 🙂

Administrator · Posted
14 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Pretty sure it's just one Phillips screw holding the cover over a standard watch battery in the back of the left one in the picture, as that's how mine works.  As for the smaller one on the right, let me know when you're ready to sell it to a huge Adventure Island fan 🙂

I'll keep you in mind if things get dire lol. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

I checked the ROM and the mapper he used is compatible with battery-backed RAM.  Do you know if he programmed it to save the high score between power cycles?  If so, I'm going to make a cart for myself (assuming I can't purchase one anywhere on the net).

I just downloaded it myself, and it says it's a 128k UNROM.  Not sure where you're getting that it's battery backed...

EDIT: Nevermind, apparently the header says it uses a battery, but that's likely a mistake.

Edited by the_wizard_666

26 minutes ago, the_wizard_666 said:

I just downloaded it myself, and it says it's a 128k UNROM.  Not sure where you're getting that it's battery backed...

EDIT: Nevermind, apparently the header says it uses a battery, but that's likely a mistake.

Yeah, the header said battery back-up, but I just double-checked the list and there isn't a single released battery game that's compatible, so too bad... 😞

This is my method for Commando levels 1-1 and 1-2 pacifist. This doesn't happen every single run and especially those bridges are super bitch and still inconsistent and I keep dying like at least 5 times in a row..... Level 1-3 starts to be super bitch in that bunker area and 1-4 is probably possible to finish pacifist only by a robot

• The topic was unpinned