IGNORED

2023 VGS NES Weekly Contest - Tournament Round 2

BeaIank

44 minutes ago, BlackVega said:

Also this is just for curiosity sake I was able to do 100% pacifist run in Commando up to this point but this run is not valid as my previous post was worth more I think

DSC01001(Custom).JPG.f01ea87c05d5863f452f2591c8dfa183.JPG

I assume that's not including the guys at the bases at the end of each level, or did you actually manage to have them all leave the screen?

EDIT - I guess you somehow beat 1-1 and 1-2 bases without shooting anyone, since your score is 10k...

Edited by Dr. Morbis

3 minutes ago, Gloves said:

I do a pretty shit job of doing it consistently here, but here's an example I provided to someone else recently. 

I have a Hudson Shuwatch that does the exact same thing (measures your button presses), but they're relatively unknown, so it's cool to see that someone made a program for the pc...

Administrator · Posted
8 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

I have a Hudson Shuwatch that does the exact same thing (measures your button presses), but they're relatively unknown, so it's cool to see that someone made a program for the pc...

That's Shmupspeed on the NES. You can download it on my site: https://shmupspeed.com

The NES ROM was developed by Khan Games! 

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Gloves said:

That's Shmupspeed on the NES. You can download it on my site: https://shmupspeed.com

The NES ROM was developed by Khan Games! 

I checked the ROM and the mapper he used is compatible with battery-backed RAM.  Do you know if he programmed it to save the high score between power cycles?  If so, I'm going to make a cart for myself (assuming I can't purchase one anywhere on the net).

Administrator · Posted
Just now, Dr. Morbis said:

I checked the ROM and the mapper he used is compatible with battery-backed RAM.  Do you know if he programmed it to save the high score between power cycles?  If so, I'm going to make a cart for myself (assuming I can't purchase one anywhere on the net).

To my knowledge it does not have any sort of save function. The real carts do not.

1 minute ago, Gloves said:

To my knowledge it does not have any sort of save function. The real carts do not.

That's a damn shame.  Hudson's Shuwatch saves your high score, and most of the fun for me is pulling it out every once in a while to see if I can top my all-time best performance.

Some of the donors that would work with this ROM have batteries on the pcb and back-up RAM chips, so it's too bad it wasn't programmed to take advantage of that...

2 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

That's a damn shame.  Hudson's Shuwatch saves your high score, and most of the fun for me is pulling it out every once in a while to see if I can top my all-time best performance.

Some of the donors that would work with this ROM have batteries on the pcb and back-up RAM chips, so it's too bad it wasn't programmed to take advantage of that...

The game runs for 10 seconds. There isnt that much variance that you wouldn't remember your high score if you didnt bother to record it. Its one number. Mine is just over half of what gloves got in that example video. 200+ is straight up crazy

10 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

The game runs for 10 seconds. There isnt that much variance that you wouldn't remember your high score if you didnt bother to record it. Its one number. Mine is just over half of what gloves got in that example video. 200+ is straight up crazy

I've owned a Shuwatch for like 15+ years, and I still can't remember my record, though I'm pretty sure it's in the high 120's.  Gloves performance above is way beyond any score I'll ever get.  I think 150 would be my theoretical limit.

Anyway, @BlackVega I've posted my scores on the first page.  You beat my Galaga score, but I beat your Commando score; now we just have to see what @PII is going to bring to the table...

3 minutes ago, Tulpa said:

Sounds like the Shuwatch's save function didn't help in this regard. 😛 I'm presuming your score was lost when the batteries died?

No, the Shuwatch is saving just fine, but I don't remember the exact number in my brain.  If you can recall the scene in Last Crusade where Indy's Dad says they have to go back to Berlin to get his book so they could recover the vital information therein, and then Indy is like, "how can you not remember such vital info?" and his Dad goes, "I wrote it in the book so I wouldn't have to remember it!"  That's the situation with me and my Shuwatch... 😛

1 minute ago, NESfiend said:

I cant believe I didnt finish commando. Ended up catching a window and played a lot tonight. Had a good run and choked when I got to the road on 1-4. Wouldnt have made a difference in points, but its just demoralizing. 

I kept forgetting about the two vehicles right at the start of the road and probably lost five or more runs to that because I'd be too close to the edge of the screen from dodging all the enemies...

• Like 1

The cherry on my Sunday was I could've tied BlackVega's Commando score on my best run except I opened fire on the final group of soldiers too early and five more guys came out.  Whoops!  Oh wells.

Nice job Morbo.  Sub 20K is Slick!  Bullets slide offa you!  You play wit 'em!!

And Well done BlackVega on Galaga!  (which you don't like for some reason...?)

• Like 1