IGNORED

2023 VGS NES Weekly Contest - Tournament Round 2

BeaIank

5 hours ago, mbd39 said:

I really like Galaga, but apparently I suck nuts at it. I haven't even been able to get 100k let alone over 200k. I also suck at hitting all the enemies in the challenging stages.

Haven't started Commando yet.

Commando seems like it should be so easy. You know exactly what you have to do. But somehow I manage to die and die and die

28 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

Commando seems like it should be so easy. You know exactly what you have to do. But somehow I manage to die and die and die

I'm having a lot of fun improving my low score for Commando.  It really does feel like football, where you're ducking and weaving around the defense, sneaking through tight holes between two defenders.  And the guys that drop back once you're past them and start running the same direction as you, they're like the blockers who are trying to protect you as you're moving along.  I'm going to have a pretty good Commando score, but my Galaga score could use a lot of work...

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

55 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

I'm going to have a pretty good Commando score, but my Galaga score could use a lot of work...

The two games compliment one another very well. Commando destroys your left thumb. Galaga destroys your right thumb. Switch it up based on which one is throbbing more

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 2

Is Commando one of those micronics shitgames?? Holy moly this game is so great the screen keeps jumping constantly because the console can't handle its awesomeness..... However I must say the idea for going for the lowest score is GENIUS. Does anyone have enough time and energy to do 100% pacifist run in Commando??

3 hours ago, BlackVega said:

Is Commando one of those micronics shitgames?? Holy moly this game is so great the screen keeps jumping constantly because the console can't handle its awesomeness..... However I must say the idea for going for the lowest score is GENIUS. Does anyone have enough time and energy to do 100% pacifist run in Commando??

It's not Micronics - it's clearly an early in-house Capcom title as it shares a lot of resources (graphics, sound effects, the font) with other early Capcom titles.  Based on how poorly programmed it is though, I'd be inclined to think that this was their first attempt at programming for the Famicom; after seeing what Micronics was providing them with, they must've thought, "come on guys, surely we can do better than that!"

4 hours ago, NESfiend said:

The two games compliment one another very well. Commando destroys your left thumb. Galaga destroys your right thumb. Switch it up based on which one is throbbing more

Yeah, I find it really weird: I can hold right on the D-pad for hours with no problems, but holding up for thirty consecutive seconds causes my thumb to start sliding out of position and start to get sore.  As for my right thumb, it hasn't felt this bad since we did Silver Surfer a year or two back...

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Yeah, I find it really weird: I can hold right on the D-pad for hours with no problems, but holding up for thirty consecutive seconds causes my thumb to start sliding out of position and start to get sore.

Interesting topic, especially for someone designing controllers.  When you're pressing left or right you're leaning either side of the thumb on the directional, but when pressing up it's the top of the thumb and it tends to both get sore and slide.  Same part of thumb when pressing down but no soreness/sliding.  Recently I was playing "Kid Klown In Krazy Chase" on SNES and your basically pressing down, down/right the whole time and I didn't have any soreness/sliding issues I think its because, when pressing down the final thumb digit is significantly closer to vertical...  ...or conversely, laid very flatly....

Edited by PII
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, RH said:

Pacifist to literally the last sprite line of 1-1.

Top that. 😏

Man, the only guys I ever shoot are the necessary end-of-level guys who won't leave the screen on their own, and those pesky knife guys who stab left and right when they get close enough that I think they're going to kill me.  I literally don't shoot anything else at all...

EDIT - it's funny to see a posted score of ZERO though...

Edited by Dr. Morbis

4 hours ago, BeaIank said:

A score of zero is most impressive indeed, but remember, it is progress first, lowest score second.

Thanks, Bea but that took a LOT of work and I wanted to move on to Galaga last night.  Regardless, I wanted to post it.  I’m sure it will be beaten. 🙂

14 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

EDIT - it's funny to see a posted score of ZERO though...

Technically the game awards you 5000 points every time you beat a level (not level 1-4 tho for some reason according to longplays) so the lowest possible score would be 15000 after beating the 1st world

Also I want to warn everyone PAUSE DOES NOT WORK IN COMMANDO UNLESS YOU MOVE THE SCREEN JUST A LITTLE BIT!!! This is because this game is such a glitchy mess the start button literally doesn't work as soon as you enter new level and your game will not be paused and you will probably get killed. Not to mention the score isn't even displayed so you need to move the screen just a little bit and only after that you are able to pause the game. Giving this warning to everyone because this happened to me once and I was so fucking angry...

2 minutes ago, BlackVega said:

Technically the game awards you 5000 points every time you beat a level (not level 1-4 tho for some reason according to longplays) so the lowest possible score would be 15000 after beating the 1st world

Yeah, my original goal was to see if a pure pacifist run was possible, so I hung around on the first boss for a few minutes just dodging, but a number of enemies will never leave the screen no matter how long you wait, so for our purposes, 15k isn't actually within the realm of possibility...

21 hours ago, NESfiend said:

Galaga shouldn't be killing your thumb. Mash with your index finger.

6 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

Galaga shouldn't be killing your thumb. Mash with your index finger.

With the exception of "the wall" event on american gladiators, I have never been able to play NES games with anything but thumbs. 

Speaking of gladiators, the commando challenge is a lot like the assault event on that game. One of many reasons that its killing me how much I suck at commando. 

Im bearcat done. Been 3 places looking for xmas trees and still have no tree. Aside from a last minute game or n 2 at 9:30 tonight, my scores are in. 

1 minute ago, NESfiend said:

With the exception of "the wall" event on american gladiators, I have never been able to play NES games with anything but thumbs. 

Speaking of gladiators, the commando challenge is a lot like the assault event on that game. One of many reasons that its killing me how much I suck at commando. 

Im bearcat done. Been 3 places looking for xmas trees and still have no tree. Aside from a last minute game or n 2 at 9:30 tonight, my scores are in. 

I recommend getting in the habit of mashing with your index finger for shooters or anything that requires a lot of fast mashing. Even that can become tiring. Sometimes I have to alternate between index finger and thumb depending on the game.

• Thanks 1

Administrator · Posted
1 minute ago, mbd39 said:

I recommend getting in the habit of mashing with your index finger for shooters or anything that requires a lot of fast mashing. Even that can become tiring. Sometimes I have to alternate between index finger and thumb depending on the game.

I use the nail of my index finger any time I need to rapidly press buttons, like I'm scratching a scratch card really really fast. It'll literally burn your nail away if you do it too long, but it's legit the fastest way I've found to do it. 

3 hours ago, Gloves said:

I use the nail of my index finger any time I need to rapidly press buttons, like I'm scratching a scratch card really really fast. It'll literally burn your nail away if you do it too long, but it's legit the fastest way I've found to do it. 

OMG if this is what you do then I will NEVER let you borrow any of my controllers...

10 minutes ago, BlackVega said:

OMG if this is what you do then I will NEVER let you borrow any of my controllers...

This is the best way to tap really fast.  All those guys who can hit a NES button like ten times a second do it with their index or ring finger like this; you just can't get that sort of speed with your thumb...