IGNORED

The end is near…

Seems that the industry is finally over a decade later following through on the threat of when the infrastructure is there theyll terminate physical media.  It was waiting on gigabit but I'm guessing they're greedy and impatient.  The old story was when physical was gone they'd adjust pricing to be lower due to the lack of the massive expense of making, packing, shipping and dealing with physical stuff.  My guess, full prices stay up for your game rental buys you don't own, and they may lay off doing much with sales since they'll have no one to compete against anymore with retail pushed out with their random sales and clearances.  If anything they'll have free reign to just say screw it and price games $70, $80, whatever works since they have nothing to push back other than PCs and mobile devices, and mobile isn't on that tier.

• Agree 2

Social Team · Posted
50 minutes ago, fcgamer said:

Well on the bright side, those going for full sets of physical media across all platforms will soon have an ending point 🙂

This is very true.  But what I think till happen is basically the PSVR game catalog.  A good chunk are published by a handful of companies devoted to physical media.  Usually games are first released on digital media only and then if they do well there, they will get a physical release.  I don't think it's the end of the world if a console's library goes form being thousands of titles to just a few hundred.  If it's an actual obtainable goal then we might see more people go for full sets and help keep those physical publisher in business.  Half the problem is know what companies do the publishing and getting a hold of their stock before it runs out.  Good or niche type games will continue to get physical releases.  If a game has "merch" then you can bet your ass they will have physical media as part of their merch they sell.  Sadly there will be times that they only sell you a physical case with a download code.  Think DuckTales Remastered on PS3... before they did a physical re-release with a disc.

Down side is you can expect scalpers to be just as bad if you want a physical copy of a good game.  Companies aren't stupid and they don't want to left with extra stock they can't sell off.  The day you can buy a vinyl record of the soundtrack to a game but not a physical copy of the game will be a very very sad day.  It'll only happen once consoles ditch physical drives.  

• Sad 1

On 10/12/2023 at 11:04 PM, Hammerfestus said:

Oh no. Wherever will people go to purchase their Alanis Morissette Compact discs at their local shopping mall?  

Still have mine from purchasing it.... at a local shopping mall. I recall going into the mall... going to SAM the record man, checking the price, then going to the other CD store (fuck, can't remember the name...) and comparing the prices as I did with all my CD purchases. One was usually $1-2 less than the other, but it differed.... 

Hits include Green Day's Dookie, Jagged Little Pill, and Clumsy by Our Lady Peace. Actually, Clumsy I bought at lunch in highschool at a store downtown as the mall was further away and I couldn't wait. 😅

I walked into my local Best Buy in Los Angeles and there was barely any stock on hand. I never seen the video game section not have anything at all. So the decision of removing DVDs, movies doesn't surprise me at all. Next up more store closures. I wouldn't be surprised if other big box stores start reducing inventory as well. 

1 minute ago, Bonanza125 said:

I wouldn't be surprised if other big box stores start reducing inventory as well. 

It’s already a pain in the ass to walk into a store and buy things.

I just bought a utility sink online and had my contractor pick up that and some other stuff. I thought I filtered to items in stock, but I had to wait a week for that. 

I went on vacation. My room didn’t have a TV, so I somehow misplaced my Roku stick and left it behind. I went to best buy one and they only had the expensive version. I walked around the corner to Home Depot and they had none at all despite the app claiming there were 11 in stock. I asked for help at the checkout. The employee didn’t know what a Roku stick was, asked the other employee hanging out there, and said they would send someone over. I hung around in the aisle for a solid ten minutes, looking for even a passing employee to talk to while the security guard stood around the corner getting his Spidey sense up about me. I’m here literally wanting to give you fuckers money and getting ignored. I went the fuck home and bought a used one on ebay and spent less even with shipping. 

I also had to buy a phone charger on that trip. That Best Buy was half empty, kept cables behind the counter, and had no third party versions. I went to 7Eleven. 

Best Buy is sort of like Pizza Hut in a way... they both still exist, but the version of them that I have fond memories of went away long ago. 

Sometimes the various big box stores will get an exclusive edition of a new movie release, including Best Buy, so they must at least sell enough to collectors to justify that sort of thing.

• Like 1

On 10/15/2023 at 6:39 PM, LeatherRebel5150 said:

The next show has dropped! Walmart will no longer be carrying Xbox games in 2024

https://comicbook.com/gaming/amp/news/walmart-discontinuing-physical-games-media-xbox-2024/

This is just a rumor as of right now. I find it very unlikely that any major retailer (Wal-Mart, Best Buy, Amazon, etc.) will stop carrying physical video games within this generation of consoles. Sony and Microsoft are still both manufacturing consoles with disc drives, they will probably continue to into next generation at least if I had to guess. 

We may see retailers like Wal-Mart or Best Buy stop carrying physical games on store shelves, and just offer them online only. For example, Best Buy here in Canada already has physical games listed on their website that are not carried in store and are only available online. They are usually just dropshipped from their supplier so they don't even have to carry stock.

Physical media, at least on mass scale, will come to an end at some point. But I don't see it happening for at least the next 5 to 10 years.

Frankly I care more about their bluray sales ending than about their game sales ending. Streaming, aside from giving you access to shows that would never in a million years be worth it to produce a DVD printing, is such a pile of crap compared to physical, and I worry about how you're supposed to enjoy certain shows going forward that never get home video releases. It's like we regressed to the pre-VHS days...but this isn't on-topic for video games, so I digress...

• Agree 1

• 3 weeks later...