IGNORED

The end is near…

Things have certainly changed.  There used to be a music store chain called Peaches - their stores were large supermarket sized affairs.

The Denver area one was right next to the University of Denver and was open till 3 in the morning.  We would get stoned and go watch the seemingly never ending floor show that occurred in the early morning hours.   Unique times!

The chain started in 1975 and   i think the last one closed in the mid nineties.  I still have some of their record crates kicking about.

s-l500.png.e2bfe69f983e068ad78cf70c18e38943.png

• Like 5
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

If that's true, can't say I'm sorry to see Best Buy go away.  Ever since they did this massive reset to how the stores are on the inside, it looked like they were already on borrowed time.  So much product moved out, stuff in like pods and sections with a more limited supply, bringing in some oddball stuff you wouldn't think of sorts of like when Gamestop was grasphing at straws with their thinkgeek consumption.  I've noticed the one close by here and others in the area if I'm near can't fill the parking lots they were designed for anymore.  On a good day, like a massive sale (christmas/black friday season), maybe 50% capacity.  It feels more like a test bin for someone to walk in to get an idea to buy online, or to come and pickup something at the store to avoid a shipping fee.

I'm surprised it's taken this long. I'm shocked at how few selections there are at this point... like who is going into to buy a CD at Best Buy that doesn't already use Spotify or something similar? I'm a music geek and I still hunt for cool physical media finds, but they certainly aren't at Best Buy. I guess they figure some people run out of ideas for gifts and just figure, I'll buy them a 4K Bluray, or a lame vinyl reissue for $50.

• Agree 1

Best Buy's physical media section has been pretty pathetic for several years now.  I remember the good old days when there was at least one full isle of video games for each different console and a massive section for CDs.  

Considering how particular I am about image quality, I still like Best Buy for TV shopping because I want to see what a TV looks like before buying it.  Unfortunately, that is about the only thing I can think of that Best Buy has to offer anymore.  

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

32 minutes ago, docile tapeworm said:

So I’m a bit of a cd collector 😬 and I do have jagged little pill and morning glory

Sounds like you already have all you could ever need from Best Buy. 

Me, I went there the other day and they had a big empty section where the sold out thing I wanted to Best buy was supposed to be. So that was a usedul demonstration of why we should support physical locations of large companies who stock items we want to pick up right away. 

• Like 1

Good, that's pretty soon! Let's just have other big box stores follow as newer consoles go all-online then maybe there will be enough room in the market for independent game stores to open back up. I want collector focused, well stocked shops catering to a wide audience like comic or record collectors get, not freaking Gamestop.

We are definitely destined to be one of those dying hobbies for weirdos in the coming decades though. If they stopped making baseball cards in 1993, I don't think as many people are collecting baseball cards today.

Edited by DefaultGen
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, DefaultGen said:

Good, that's pretty soon! Let's just have other big box stores follow as newer consoles go all-online then maybe there will be enough room in the market for independent game stores to open back up. I want collector focused, well stocked shops catering to a wide audience like comic or record collectors get, not freaking Gamestop.

We are definitely destined to be one of those dying hobbies for weirdos in the coming decades though. If they stopped making baseball cards in 1993, I don't think as many people are collecting baseball cards today.

Sometimes when I think about the game collecting hobby, it makes me think about a great-aunt I had when I was little who was really into Elvis.

• Agree 2

sad but not surprised by this Best Buy news. when Guardians of the Galaxy v3 came out, i stopped at Target to pick it up. there were no copies on the floor, and their new release endcap hadn't been reset in 2-3 weeks (it should change every single week). so i stopped at Best Buy. there was 1 dvd copy available, but no blu-ray. So i had to resort to Wal-Mart. they had 3 BD copies.  just crazy to think about. this was a major studio motion picture, not some little indie flick. but i had to stop at three major chains to find a physical copy. i knew things were bad, but not THIS bad.

saw a report a couple months ago that select Target stores are also getting rid of physical music/movies. it didn't mention video games, but it's certainly a matter of time.

21 hours ago, Tabonga said:

Things have certainly changed.  There used to be a music store chain called Peaches - their stores were large supermarket sized affairs.

The Denver area one was right next to the University of Denver and was open till 3 in the morning.  We would get stoned and go watch the seemingly never ending floor show that occurred in the early morning hours.   Unique times!

The chain started in 1975 and   i think the last one closed in the mid nineties.  I still have some of their record crates kicking about.

s-l500.png.e2bfe69f983e068ad78cf70c18e38943.png

whoa! i have a part time job at a record store, and some used vinyls came in last weekend. one had a Peaches price sticker on it (49 cents!) but i had never heard of the chain. funny timing to see this now.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, goldenpp72 said:

People like to go there to see TV's in person... Then buy them on Amazon.

I thought it was common knowledge they mess with the settings in the stores to push whichever model/company they’re getting the best contract with. I didn’t think anyone actually used the display models for serious reference 

On 10/13/2023 at 8:52 PM, RegularGuyGamer said:

Video games too? Seems like such an easy sale item. To be honest, idk what people to to BB for. I only ever shop online with them. 

Convenience. Want to look at a computer/appliance in person? BB. Want to pick up a new TV locally? BB. Price match? BB. Last second hurricane supplies like batteries? BB.

It also depends on where you live. There's probably 5 BB's within 10 miles around here.

Edited by Mega Tank