IGNORED

What was the last game that caused you thumb blisters?

GPX

I’ve been playing a bit more of Geometry Wars 2 lately, and that’s giving me a few things:

- improved reaction time

- improved patience with intermittent bursts of anger (when the game can cheat pretty badly)

- thumb blisters

The thumb blisters I’m blaming it on the half-eroded thumb grips on the X360 controller, and not my 1-2 hours of play sessions. Maybe it’s time I get a new controller?

I don't think I've ever gotten a blister from gaming. However, there was a time a couple years ago when I was playing WAY too much Overwatch and repeatedly striking the Space Bar so much started developing a callus along the side of my thumbnail on my left hand, which became a bit painful. Thankfully, I've come to my senses and stopped wasting time on that game and my thumb healed nicely.

Meanwhile, the thumb of my right hand sounds like a cement mixer when I bend it and it occasionally locks up. My mother and I have jokingly called it "Nintendo thumb" for years because it is almost undoubtedly the result of millions of button presses since I was a kid.

Edited by Webhead123

Editorials Team · Posted
1 hour ago, Brickman said:

The only blisters I've got from gaming is paddle battle. That mini game is evil.

Is that Mario Party?

If so, it didn't give me a blister, but it tore the skin off my palm.  Never played it again after that.

I also got carpal tunnel from Morrowind in college from holding a claw over the keyboard.

24 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Is that Mario Party?

If so, it didn't give me a blister, but it tore the skin off my palm.  Never played it again after that.

I also got carpal tunnel from Morrowind in college from holding a claw over the keyboard.

Yep Mario Party 1. Mine started as a blister then I kept playing it and then it ripped my skin 😂

I never had a blister from playing video games.  However, I remember getting hand cramps in the early 8-bit and 16-bit days usually with racing games where you had to always hold down the accelerator button.  But I must have grown out of that because I do not have the same issue today with the same games.  

I've had a few blisters on my left thumb from grinding out longer sessions on side-scrolling games like Ninja Gaiden 3 and Shredder's Revenge. I played a lot of those two games over the course of a few days.

I missed basketball tryouts in grade 9 because of a Mario Party blister in the middle of my hand. It got pretty infected and took a a few weeks before I could fully open my hand. This was before I started wearing an oven-mitt to play 😛 I specifically remember the tug-o-war and the shy guy rafting mini games... brutal.

I always found it strange to see it brought up even 30-40 years ago and passed it off as a marketing thing on how intense a game was.  Never once had it or even a sore thumb from playing, but I do see cases over time like ones in here where I guess it is a thing.  Maybe it's not the game, but just how some people may just grip a bit too hard or just how their thumb is it just happens.

On 9/28/2023 at 5:54 PM, Andy_Bogomil said:

I've had a few blisters on my left thumb from grinding out longer sessions on side-scrolling games like Ninja Gaiden 3 and Shredder's Revenge. I played a lot of those two games over the course of a few days.

I missed basketball tryouts in grade 9 because of a Mario Party blister in the middle of my hand. It got pretty infected and took a a few weeks before I could fully open my hand. This was before I started wearing an oven-mitt to play 😛 I specifically remember the tug-o-war and the shy guy rafting mini games... brutal.

I got some really bad blisters from Mario party back in high school as well. Definitely didn't help the function of the controllers joysticks as well. 

In the back of my brain, I remember some magazine giving or selling gloves because of this problem. I don't know if it's just me imagining it. Or if the glove was a real thing.

• Haha 1

On 9/28/2023 at 10:25 PM, Tanooki said:

I always found it strange to see it brought up even 30-40 years ago and passed it off as a marketing thing on how intense a game was.  Never once had it or even a sore thumb from playing, but I do see cases over time like ones in here where I guess it is a thing.  Maybe it's not the game, but just how some people may just grip a bit too hard or just how their thumb is it just happens.

I must play with a heavy hand, especially when I'm a little tense... I always press the L3/R3 joystick buttons by accident on the newer consoles. I also prefer to use the buttons on my joycon as the d-pad rather than using the joystick.. and those buttons have a tiny surface area  P=F/A. 

On 9/29/2023 at 10:55 AM, Tanooki said:

Oh yeah, it’s definitely real. But I would say thumb calluses are the more common sign, which is technically what I’ve got at the moment. It comes about from excessive friction forces so when you play games for too long or thumb pads on the analog sticks have been eroded. You don’t appreciate those thumb pads until the callus start to form!