IGNORED

Movie Debate #138: Everything Everywhere All At Once

Reed Rothchild

Rate it  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Rate based on your own personal preferences, NOT historical significance

• 10/10 - One of your very favorite movies of all time.
    • 9/10 - Killer f'ing movie. Everyone should watch it.
    • 8/10 - Great movie. You like to recommend it.
    • 7/10 - Very good movie, but not quite great.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. You might enjoy the occasional watch, or tune in if you happen to catch it on cable.
    • 5/10 - It's okay, but maybe not something you'll go out of your way to watch.
    • 4/10 - Meh. There's plenty of better alternatives to this.
    • 3/10 - Not very good.
    • 2/10 - Pretty crappy.
    • 1/10 - Horrible in every way.
    • 0/10 - The Citizen Kane of painful experiences. You'd rather shove an icepick in your retinas than watch this.
    • Never seen it, but you're interested.
    • Never seen it, never will.

Administrator · Posted

I absolutely loved this movie.  I think it's prob too soon after for me to say it is 10/10 top 10 type material so I gave it a high 9.  BUT, I really really really liked this movie.  It is wacky, serious, ridiculous, hilarious, emotional, and Michelle Yeoh is fantastic in it.  It was way better than I expected and I would absolutely recommend it.

• Agree 1

Editorials Team · Posted
17 minutes ago, doner24 said:

6/10, it was enjoyable but a very weak Oscar winner IMO

I feel the opposite.

The usual Oscar-fare is fine.  Moonlight and The Artist are fine movies.

Would I watch them over a fun genre flick winner like Everything Everywhere?  Hell no.

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

I enjoyed the movie quite a lot, but I don't understand why people go so nuts about it.

Not saying it's unoriginal or anything, but in terms of the experience I got out of watching it, it seemed pretty typical for a cartoonish comedy/parody movie like this. Off the top of my head, Edgar Wright's movies are probably the best example of other stuff in that vein I can think of. Those are also very good and well liked, but I've never seen them cause this kind of a craze surrounding them. 

Is there some sort of depth to the story outside of the obvious themes that I'm missing? 

7/10 seems apt for this. 

I think this is my first 0 🤣 The description perfectly describes how awful this movie was.

I get why they chose it for the Oscar’s, they need to stay relevant with the Reddit/younger crowd but man this movie was awful.

It was like watching an episode of Rick and morty, which is also a dumpster fire.

I look forward to all the eye rolls, angry face and disagrees I’ll get for this comment. It will fuel me!

Come On GIF by Max

• Love 1
  • Agree 1

Editorials Team · Posted
41 minutes ago, Brickman said:

I think this is my first 0 🤣 The description perfectly describes how awful this movie was.

I get why they chose it for the Oscar’s, they need to stay relevant with the Reddit/younger crowd but man this movie was awful.

It was like watching an episode of Rick and morty, which is also a dumpster fire.

I look forward to all the eye rolls, angry face and disagrees I’ll get for this comment. It will fuel me!

Come On GIF by Max

Much like @OptOut giving the PS1 console a 0/10, I guess we all have our own weird quirks with what we vehemently hate 😄

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Events Team · Posted
26 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Much like @OptOut giving the PS1 console a 0/10, I guess we all have our own weird quirks with what we vehemently hate 😄

I don't think I've ever seen any piece of fiction or played any game I would outright rank a 0/10 (Other then perhaps The Room if I were to actually rank it objectively, but that gets a 10/10 in a different way, haha.) Maybe I'm just too easy to please.

Editorials Team · Posted
35 minutes ago, ZeldaFreak said:

I don't think I've ever seen any piece of fiction or played any game I would outright rank a 0/10 (Other then perhaps The Room if I were to actually rank it objectively, but that gets a 10/10 in a different way, haha.) Maybe I'm just too easy to please.

I'd give a zero to like... Children of the Corn V or something 😂

2 hours ago, Brickman said:

Come On GIF by Max

I haven’t seen the film but my gut reaction to the trailer is that this would be how I’d feel too.

My wife wanted to see it, but we never got around too it.  Maybe if we do, we’ll see what I think.

16 hours ago, Sumez said:

Is there some sort of depth to the story outside of the obvious themes that I'm missing? 

Maybe Obviously it's not for everybody. You might feel about it the way I felt about La La Land, which received widespread critical acclaim, but I thought it was boring as fuck and turned it off less than halfway through. 

I thought Everything... was one of the most heartfelt things I've ever seen. It said a lot about humanity and struggle and emotion and navigating this fucked up world, couched in doses of humor and action. I literally laughed and cried. It's goddamn beautiful. 

• Like 2

I saw it.  I would say that I liked the first 75% of the movie a lot, but it really overstays its welcome and unnecessarily extends its length with some comedy bits that don't quite land and (IMO) a confusing resolution.  Someone is going to argue with me on that, but I think it just comes down to the fact that I had movie fatigue by the end and wasn't feeling patient enough for one more sausage or racoon gag.  I had to go to bed, get up the next morning and watch the last 20 minutes again to be sure I even knew what happened.  I have no interest in ever watching the movie again, but I still enjoyed most of my time with it - 7/10

17 hours ago, Brickman said:

Come On GIF by Max

LOL - You made me read the text next to the 'zero' for the first time.  I'm sure the filmmakers would love the comparison to Citizen Kane.

• Haha 1

This movie was awful, I barely got through it without turning it off. The acting was bad, the plot was meaningless and an entire fight scene dedicated to 2 people trying to shove dildos in their ass for a powerup was terrible. How did a movie where 2 people fight for an anal dildo win an Academy Award for best picture? It was amusing to see 2 actors from Encino Man win Academy Awards this year though.

On 9/8/2023 at 4:46 PM, ZeldaFreak said:

You mean the movie where the woman and her kid were held captive in a small room? That movie was great, I'd give it a 8/10. One of my favourite movies of that year and the book was even better.

• Haha 1

Events Team · Posted
1 minute ago, Code Monkey said:

You mean the movie where the woman and her kid were held captive in a small room? That movie was great, I'd give it a 8/10. One of my favourite movies of that year and the book was even better.

Uh, no

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Room

THAT The Room, haha. Absolute classic of American cinema, I would recommend it to anyone.