IGNORED

What level of education did you spend the most time on gaming?

GPX

Your most prolific gaming at what level of education?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Peak gaming fetish during which level?

• Preschool - you played a lot of games as a toddler
    • Primary school - the age of innocence (relative to your adult self)
    • High school - the age of rebellion
    • Tertiary - the age of partying and working your ass off
    • Post-graduate - you really like to study

Revising the good old days, at what period of education did you spend the most amount of time gaming? (See poll)

What did you own or play around that particular period? Have your gaming tastes changed since then? Were you the gaming geek that turned out to be a success in your education? Or were you just the gaming geek who totally forgot to do the homework and skipped school a lot of the time? Any other gaming/education memories? ๐ŸŽ“๐Ÿ‘“๐ŸŽฎ

6 hours ago, Tanooki said:

I think it was the NES, but SNES was the years of HS and into early college and I'm really not quite sure which got pushed harder on daily use.ย  It could be close, would have voted both if I could to be fair.

Iโ€™m somewhat similar to you in regards to the number of years spent in primary school and high school being roughly the same ~4 years. Though looking back, I definitely spent a lot of time daydreaming about games and ruminating on them more than anything else. Obviously in high school, thereโ€™s extra books to read, girls to think about, career choices and whatnot. So I guess overall, the gaming daydreams werenโ€™t nearly as frequent.ย 

For me, primary school was the C64 and Master System. High school was the Megadrive then the SNES.ย 

I think I probably logged the most hours in middle school. That's when I got really into RPGs and wore out my PS1. I actually spent quite a lot of time gaming during medical school and residency as well because it's hard to find time for outside activities when you're that busy. But overall, I think ages 10-15 were my golden age. No car, no internet, no dvd player, just me and my SNES and PS1.

Always played games since I was 6, but ramped up in high school when Xbox live came out...so many hours per week playing Halo 2. Then in college I played less to focus on studies. In my Masters program was when I started my first collection and that took up more time than the hours I played in high school.

• Like 1

In terms of school-age gaming, I think it's likely that the years from being a junior in high school until I graduated college. I was still playing quite a bit on my consoles but I also had the luxury of a home computer by that time, plus access to the school computer labs and the result was a big boom in terms of exposure to new games.

But like Wongojack, I'm certain that I've gotten way more time to play games on average once I was out of school, had a steady job and the freedom to do whatever I wanted with my time (for the most part).

• Like 1

Definitely high school. N64/PS1 and the beginning of GameCube/PS2 was the height of my gaming interests. From 2005ish onward I definitely felt a wane in interest, only felt somewhat of a resurgence 5-7 years ago but I'm in the downward portion again, not due to lack of pure interest, I still love gaming but I have practically no time to play and no money to spend on it these days.ย 

• Like 1

I mean Iโ€™ve played way more games as an adult than I ever did as a kid mostly because Iโ€™ve got a lot more funds to spend on games than my parents did lol

Id say peak gaming for me was N64 and that was middle school. Although when I was younger I definitely spent a lot of time with NES and SNES and especially Super Mario World

• Like 1

Social Team ยท Posted

Given that I spent 9 year in college... I put my vote in "post-grad" given that I was given the title of "Professional Student" for all my credit hours I earned without a degree.ย  If a college thinks I was beyond "undergrad" then I think that should apply hear.ย  I didn't have a ton of systems as a kid growing up (atari 2600, NES, & Game Gear).ย  I don't know why I didn't pressure my parents for a newer system.ย  I had my brother's hammy down Genesis and bough games for cheap on it (PSOne was out) and then my brother sold it for I can only assume was like $20 (real dick of a move thinking about it now).ย  So yeah, when I had consoles I also spent a ton of time outdoors and playing school sports.ย  As an adult in college I started to get into gaming again.ย  5th year of college I bought a PS3.ย  Around 6th year is when I played the most.ย  I got my orders that I was getting deployed to Iraq so I spent 2.5 months living it up after Fall quarter was over.ย ย 

I still wouldn't say I spent a TON of time playing video games.ย  Mostly because I didn't have any friends with a PS3.ย  If they had a console it was a Wii or Xbox 360 or no system at all.ย  Hell, I'd say during the peak time of gaming I spent an equal amount time at a bar or friends house drinking beer and shooting the shit.ย  Video games are a FAR cheaper hobby then beer drinking, FYI.

• Like 1

Graphics Team ยท Posted

I spent the most time gaming in middle school by a wide margin, and it's entirely because of Animal Crossing: City Folk [Wii]. I'd attend to my village every single day for months, even squeezing in quick Animal Crossing sessions before school each morning.

[T-Pac]

Post post secondary.ย 

Played all throughout my life since getting a Commodore 64, then NES, but probably played more after actively choosing to do it in leisure time as an adult.ย 

Also, there's been times where I've tried to marathon games so playing for like 3 hours at a time multiple times, or one 15.5 hour run.... those I never did as a kid.ย ๐Ÿคฃ

Edited by AirVillain
  • Like 1

Well, to be clear, my family got an Atari 2600 probably around 1986 and I played it a fair amount until the NES showed up around 1988.ย  After that, I played a good bit of Nintendo and whatever came after that.

However, it was most of those games were platform titles a few other types but I didn't get an RPG/Adventure game until maybe 1993 or 94.ย  After that, it was just a couple more years until I got a job and I've never been as "rich" as I was when I was when I was a kid making $6-7.50/hour but I had absolutely nothing to spend that money on but PS1 RPGs, so N64 titles and a bunch of Decipher Star Wars cards.ย  The latter getting the least of my money but I still bought a lot.

RPGs take a lot of time to play and since I was allowed to manage my time more often since I had exceptional grades and was the "good kid" in the house, nearly all my free time was spent on RPGs.

Edited by RH