IGNORED

VGS Chiptune Contest 2023 [ENDED]

ZeldaFreak

Chiptune Contest 2023 Voting  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Who's chiptune is your personal favorite? (3rd Place Tiebreaker)

• the_wizard_666
    • FireHazard51
    • Avgn Gamer
    • DefaultGen
    • T-Pac
    • koifish
    • rdrunner

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 07/13/2023 at 07:00 PM

I make music and have a track I want to make into a chip tune it is very similar just not in the format, any help matters,

Retro gaming can sometimes feel like it's in the oblivion, Retroblivion!

Joyomofrobro - Retroblivion (3:57) Year-2000

MP3@128KB

- I hope it is enjoyed!!

• Like 2

Events Team · Posted
14 hours ago, Joyomofrobro said:

I make music and have a track I want to make into a chip tune it is very similar just not in the format, any help matters,

Retro gaming can sometimes feel like it's in the oblivion, Retroblivion!

Joyomofrobro - Retroblivion (3:57) Year-2000

MP3@128KB

- I hope it is enjoyed!!

So, just to be clear, is this a chiptune you created for the contest, or is this a song that you're hoping to turn in to a chiptune for the contest? Just want to make sure I'm not misunderstanding anything.

13 hours ago, ZeldaFreak said:

So, just to be clear, is this a chiptune you created for the contest, or is this a song that you're hoping to turn in to a chiptune for the contest? Just want to make sure I'm not misunderstanding anything.

It's a song I wish to turn into a chip tune, I have FamiTracker but it turned out completely different!

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, jajaja said:

Hi. Here is my entry: https://filebin.net/zzhczaq41aq8vqi7

I uploaded the file in .wav format, let me know if its better that i upload it in .mp3 format instead 🙂

Wow, what was the tool you used for this?  Kind of has a Genesis/Yamaha sound.  I'm really digging this one, personally.  It kind of feels like you're in that final stage right before you are going into the final boss battle.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, RH said:

Wow, what was the tool you used for this?  Kind of has a Genesis/Yamaha sound.  I'm really digging this one, personally.  It kind of feels like you're in that final stage right before you are going into the final boss battle.

Thanks for the positive feedback! 🙂

I used a program called Fast Tracker 2. Its an old music tracker software for DOS: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FastTracker_2

There are similar programs for Windows/MacOS/Linux as well, like MilkyTracker: https://milkytracker.org

And someone also ported Fast Tracker 2 to Windows and MacOS as well: https://16-bits.org/ft2.php

• Like 3

Super excited here.  Never made my own chiptune song before because I never knew where to start.  Then I saw the links to all the different free online tools.  Thanks for posting this thread!

Here's my entry, made with beepbox.  Started off as a straight cover and ended up becoming a mashup of a couple of game shows that I would have liked to see made into NES games. 🙂

• Like 3

Events Team · Posted

@the_wizard_666 @Avgn Gamer @Sumez @RH @FireHazard51 @Gloves @koifish @DefaultGen @T-Pac @Joyomofrobro @jajaja @rdrunner @nesmaster14

The voting has begun! A poll has been added to the original post, please everyone vote for your personal favorite chiptune of the bunch via that poll! As a reminder, the only rules here are that you can only vote for one chiptune, and you CANNOT vote for your own chiptune, you must vote for someone else's! The poll will be open until 7/8/2023 at 11:59 PM EST. Whoever gets the most votes will win $25, 2nd most votes $20, 3rd most votes $15.

The original post has been edited to include everyone's submissions, so you can all quickly listen to those to refresh your memory. There were some really awesome submissions this year, well done you guys!

Graphics Team · Posted
On 6/23/2023 at 11:15 PM, Avgn Gamer said:

I have finally completed my cover, though I replaced the Sega samples with Gameboy ones and finished that. I really liked the Sega one a lot so I mashed them together. I also had a different gb one and I threw that one in as fake reverb lol. I'll post them individually so you guys can pick which one would work as the best submission.

Mashup
Gameboy V.1
Gameboy V.2

On 6/29/2023 at 9:42 AM, jajaja said:

Hi. Here is my entry: https://filebin.net/zzhczaq41aq8vqi7

I uploaded the file in .wav format, let me know if its better that i upload it in .mp3 format instead 🙂

21 hours ago, nesmaster14 said:

Runs on a real NES.  It's a bit of an ode to unexpected final boss fights in games.  The boss fight after the final boss fight, second form.  haha.

Whoa! If you guys told me these came straight from a Game Boy, Genesis, and NES game (respectively), I wouldn't have doubted it for a second.

Amazing stuff.

[T-Pac]

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Events Team · Posted

@the_wizard_666 @FireHazard51 @Avgn Gamer @DefaultGen @T-Pac @koifish @jajaja @rdrunner @nesmaster14 @RH @AverageOliver98 @Jeevan @Memblers @Sumez @Gloves @Joyomofrobro

Aaalrighty then! So, with the voting concluded, @nesmaster14 has won in 1st place with 7 votes, @jajaja has won in 2nd place with 4 votes, and... nobody else got any votes! So, as such, we're going to be doing some

SUDDEN DEATH VOTING!

to determine who the 3rd place winner shall be!

A new poll has been added, containing everyone's chiptunes except for nesmaster14's and jajaja's. From now until 7/12/2023 at 11:59 PM EST, about 2 and a half days from now, you all may vote for your personal favorite chiptune of the remaining options! Keep in mind that nesmaster14 and jajaja have already been locked in as the 1st place and 2nd place winners, you're simply voting for who will end up winning 3rd place. Just like the prior poll, as you would expect, you CANNOT vote for your own chiptune, you must vote for someone else's!

• Like 1

• The title was changed to VGS Chiptune Contest 2023 [ENDED]
Events Team · Posted

Alright! With the tiebreaker vote for 3rd place out of the way, @nesmaster14 has won in 1st place with 7 votes, @jajaja has won in 2nd place with 4 votes, and @koifish has won in 3rd place with 4 votes in the tiebreaker round! Congrats, all three of you made some pretty incredible chiptunes. You all will be PMed shortly!

As always, thank you all for participating!

That's yet another contest wrapped up! With that, the 2023 Chiptune Contest has come to a close! Hope you all had fun with this one, and I hope you more musically inclined folks got to utilize your talents 🙂

Hope to see you all again next event!

• Like 1