IGNORED

2023 VGS NES Weekly Contest - Renegade!

BeaIank

44 minutes ago, 8bitdontquit said:

How's that Canadian smoke by you?

@Dr. Morbis. Seems east coast 

I'm in the West just outside of the Rocky Mountains and we got hit hard by the smoke a couple weeks ago, like to the point that I could only see the houses across the street and nothing beyond that.  My throat was actually really sore for a couple of days.  All's good now, though...

• Wow! 1

7 hours ago, 8bitdontquit said:

@Bearcat-Doug

How's that Canadian smoke by you?

I'm getting hit down it se va. 

Feel really bad for the folks in Ottawa(spelling?)

Might wanna breathe it in,  them cannucks have some game. 

I don't think@gloves is east coast.  

@Dr. Morbis. Seems east coast 

We have had an air quality alert, but it's also been hot and dry here for the last two weeks so we were already dealing with dust and pollen. 

Events Team · Posted

The FAQ I followed gave those directions:

1. Take the Right Door - Enemies: Four Street Thugs w/sticks (two at a time)
2. Take the Left Door - Enemies: Three Kims (two at a time)
3. Take the Right Door - Enemies: 6 Motorcycle riders (one at a time)
4. Take the 2nd Left Door - Enemies: Six Joels (three at a time)
5. Take the Left Door - Enemies: Nine Angry Japanese School Girls (three at a time)
6. Take the Right Door - Enemies: Three Jacks (three at a time)
7. Take the Right Door - Enemies: Seven Motorcycle Riders (one at a time)
8. Take the Left Door - Enemies: Six Jacks (three at a time)
9. Take the Middle Door - Enemies: SABU!*

9 steps to get to the boss and likely a better route for scoring too.

Bearcats route was right, left, left, middle, right

Use whichever works for you. I don't have the means to try both and settle on which one to use. My physiotherapist already scolded me enough yesterday for daring to play an hour of SF6.

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Richardhead said:

I almost hit 300k. This game might be kinda broken. I think I found out why the Twin Galaxies rules are for 1 life. Getting extra lives in the game takes some effort, but it looks like there isn't a limit on how many of them you can get. @8bitdontquit, did you catch this too?

Edited by Bearcat-Doug

15 minutes ago, Richardhead said:

Of course you did.

I am for real done this week. I’ll happily take 6th.

It reminds me of the Stinger tournament contest where it was discovered that you could pick up the shield repeatedly and never get hit. I'm guessing that you can pick up an extra life, burn it until the time runs out and repeat the process forever. There may be a limit. Maybe @rdrunner can clear this up since I'm guessing that's why the TG rules are for 1 life.

Edited by Bearcat-Doug

23 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

It reminds me of the Stinger tournament contest where it was discovered that you could pick up the shield repeatedly and never get hit. I'm guessing that you can pick up an extra life, burn it until the time runs out and repeat the process forever. There may be a limit. Maybe @rdrunner can clear this up since I'm guessing that's why the TG rules are for 1 life.

You can pick up an extra life in this game? I don't remember that.

That kind of point pressing is always forbidden in the weekly contests anyway.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

You can pick up an extra life in this game? I don't remember that.

That kind of point pressing is always forbidden in the weekly contests anyway.

I got a heart the other day and wasn't sure what it was so I checked the manual. It says the heart makes "a second Renegade appear" which apparently is a poor translation of an extra life. The manual also tells you exactly how to earn them. I'm not sure if there's a limit on how many you can earn or not. 

Edited by Bearcat-Doug

2 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I got a heart the other day and wasn't sure what it was so I checked the manual. It says the heart makes "a second Renegade appear" which apparently is a poor translation of an extra life. The manual also tells you exactly how to earn them. 

So you can keep picking up an extra life? I would just assume that any such point pressing is against contest rules even when it isn't specified.

Edited by mbd39

46 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I almost hit 300k. This game might be kinda broken. I think I found out why the Twin Galaxies rules are for 1 life. Getting extra lives in the game takes some effort, but it looks like there isn't a limit on how many of them you can get. @8bitdontquit, did you catch this too?

No,  no extra lives,  truthfully thought heart only gave you health and i dont usually use the ground punch anyway.   Congrats on breaking the game and ruining it for everyone else.😆

Edited by 8bitdontquit
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

So you can keep picking up an extra life? I would just assume that any such point pressing is against contest rules even when it isn't specified.

I honestly don't know. I think you can get one per mission, but I don't know if you can get more which was why I tagged Tom. According to the manual, you get them for using the ground punch on the third enemy when the timer is an even digit so it may only be once per mission. I'm not sure if you can burn a life and repeat it on the same stage.

Edited by Bearcat-Doug

4 minutes ago, 8bitdontquit said:

No,  no extra lives,  truthfully thought heart only have you health and i never kick the wall anyway.   Congrats on breaking the game and ruining it for everyone😆

The hamburger that you get from the wall refills your health, the heart gives you an extra life. I didn't technically break the game, I just read the manual. I even made sure to share it with everyone when I found out so @NESfiend would be proud. 😂

Edited by Bearcat-Doug
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, Richardhead said:

I said it didn’t work if you went to the right door. Your original rule set worked fine if you went to the left door.

I’m sorry that was a hassle for you 😢
I didn’t mean to confuse anybody. 

I'm not sure what you were talking about either... I was asking about fighting Kim (right door) vs fighting the group of women (left door) the maze route works the same regardless of which of those two options you take.

54 minutes ago, G-type said:

I'm not sure what you were talking about either... I was asking about fighting Kim (right door) vs fighting the group of women (left door) the maze route works the same regardless of which of those two options you take.

I always go left on the third mission since it's easier and there are more points there, but in this speedrun video, he goes right and takes the same route through the maze that I was using.

Edited by Bearcat-Doug
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Richardhead said:

Of course you did.

I am for real done this week. I’ll happily take 6th.

If @BeaIank or @guillavoie want me to redo my score, it's not a big deal, but the extra lives are mentioned in the manual along with it telling you exactly how to earn them. For what it's worth, I was able to get one on each mission, but I don't know if it's possible to burn a life at the beginning of a stage and collect it again since I didn't try it.

Edited by Bearcat-Doug

21 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

I'm in the West just outside of the Rocky Mountains and we got hit hard by the smoke a couple weeks ago, like to the point that I could only see the houses across the street and nothing beyond that.  My throat was actually really sore for a couple of days.  All's good now, though...

For real. That first day in my store I couldn't see the signs at the back from the front. They really should have sent us all home. Moths were flying around at knee level. 

On 6/7/2023 at 3:52 PM, Bearcat-Doug said:

I did that a few years back. I think I maxed the score out after the 7th loop. The slowdown gets really bad after the 4th loop if I remember correctly.

My PB for Contra was actually 6 loops and making it to loop 7. Tonight I have a new PB and actually completed 7 loops. Finally game over'd in the third stage of loop 8. I'm still not good enough to max the score but I'm getting closer. I would've probably needed two more loops to do it.

The problem with this challenge is how long the attempts take. It's ridiculous.

Edited by mbd39

6 hours ago, mbd39 said:

My PB for Contra was actually 6 loops and making it to loop 7. Tonight I have a new PB and actually completed 7 loops. Finally game over'd in the third stage of loop 8. I'm still not good enough to max the score but I'm getting closer. I would've probably needed two more loops to do it.

The problem with this challenge is how long the attempts take. It's ridiculous.

It took me around 3 hours to max the score. I did it once just to see if I could and had no desire to do it again.

33 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

It took me around 3 hours to max the score. I did it once just to see if I could and had no desire to do it again.

Extra lives from points stop coming at around loop 5 and 3 million points. After that you only get a 1up from killing the final boss. That makes it tough to do a bunch of loops because the game keeps getting harder.

The Mexican Runner did 42 loops the other day on Twitch which is insane. He was trying to beat the world record of 58 loops.

Edited by mbd39