IGNORED

2023 VGS NES Weekly Contest - Renegade!

BeaIank

16 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

Extra lives from points stop coming at around loop 5 and 3 million points. After that you only get a 1up from killing the final boss. That makes it tough to do a bunch of loops because the game keeps getting harder.

The Mexican Runner did 42 loops the other day on Twitch which is insane. He was trying to beat the world record of 58 loops.

I maxed out the score using the TG tournament rules where you only get 5 lives. If I remember, I only lost 3 before I maxed out the score and all of them were due to the slowdown on the later loops. 58 loops is just crazy. I think the longest thing I've ever done was get to the kill screen on NES Donkey Kong and I think that took over 8 hours of gameplay, not counting breaks.

22 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I maxed out the score using the TG tournament rules where you only get 5 lives. If I remember, I only lost 3 before I maxed out the score and all of them were due to the slowdown on the later loops.

I die much more than that lol. You're pretty sick at Contra.

I'm still trying to figure out the safe strats for later loops. Like I discovered that the upper route for Energy Zone  has far fewer enemies so I rarely die in that stage anymore.

Edited by mbd39

1 hour ago, mbd39 said:

I'm still trying to figure out the safe strats for later loops. Like I discovered that the upper route for Energy Zone  has far fewer enemies so I rarely die in that stage anymore.

I did a run of Renegade under the Twin Galaxies 1 life rules and got 149,400. They only have one record for a 100% complete run with a score of 141,400 points. If this game comes up again, maybe 1 life rules with no backtracking would be the way to go.

20230609_101214.jpg.b114064df636d2e1a96e554c7fae3fa1.jpg

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, mbd39 said:

I played a game of Contra earier, but just one loop. I was going to practice Ninja Gaiden II, but I'm burned out from playing Renegade all week.

On 6/8/2023 at 8:50 AM, BeaIank said:

The FAQ I followed gave those directions:

1. Take the Right Door - Enemies: Four Street Thugs w/sticks (two at a time)
2. Take the Left Door - Enemies: Three Kims (two at a time)
3. Take the Right Door - Enemies: 6 Motorcycle riders (one at a time)
4. Take the 2nd Left Door - Enemies: Six Joels (three at a time)
5. Take the Left Door - Enemies: Nine Angry Japanese School Girls (three at a time)
6. Take the Right Door - Enemies: Three Jacks (three at a time)
7. Take the Right Door - Enemies: Seven Motorcycle Riders (one at a time)
8. Take the Left Door - Enemies: Six Jacks (three at a time)
9. Take the Middle Door - Enemies: SABU!*

9 steps to get to the boss and likely a better route for scoring too.

Bearcats route was right, left, left, middle, right

Use whichever works for you. I don't have the means to try both and settle on which one to use. My physiotherapist already scolded me enough yesterday for daring to play an hour of SF6.

When I go through the right door off the street, I get 3 street thugs. Then left door is 2 Jacks. Then right door puts me back on the street. Where am I going wrong here? Does the door coming off the street not count in the sequence listed?

9 hours ago, mbd39 said:

The six Jacks door sounds like a nightmare lol.

I took Bearcats route even though it's worth way less points.

That's the route I've used since I was a kid. I wasn't worried about my score back then so I just went with the easiest path. I wouldn't swear that I even knew there was a longer way.

Events Team · Posted
9 hours ago, NESfiend said:

When I go through the right door off the street, I get 3 street thugs. Then left door is 2 Jacks. Then right door puts me back on the street. Where am I going wrong here? Does the door coming off the street not count in the sequence listed?

Use whatever maze route you find it works for you. Watch a playthrough if needed. I will consider all of them valid.
This' just not the week for me to try and force a route onto you all.

• Like 1

In spite of any and all short comings I rather like this game.  It's not a great game obviously but it's got some charm and I think its actually a pretty good setup for a high-score contest like this.  I had hoped to sink some time into it this week but alas, once again time and energy were not on my side this past week...

127,700.png

14 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

Finally cleared 200 and beat the game after getting a little better at point racking. Pretty sure where I am missing @Richardhead territory is life shaving the wrong part and taking the shortest path possible through the maze. 

I use up my lives outside the club Koda. I also take the shortest route through the mansion. I could have done 250-ish. But Doug had the extra life thing so I bowed out this week.😂

I would love for you to take first this week😁

• Like 1

Snuck onto the podium with 221k. Should have topped @Richardhead, just put it together too late in the game. Worse dudes to lose too though. 

If I could have found a way to get a longer route through the maze, could have really added to it. Just one stage with 3 kims adds a ton. But when I tried, I typically got lost and either repeated a room or ended up on the street. Really fun game to play for score. I would be fired up to see it again in a 1 life contest

• Like 1

7 hours ago, PII said:

¡Congrats @Bearcat-Doug on Pummeling your way to the top!

Thanks! I would have tried to push my score past 300k, but I figured the fairest thing I could do was leave it where it was since it seemed like I was the only person that knew about being able to earn extra lives from having read the manual. I only got one per mission, but it may be possible to farm them indefinitely which explains why the Twin Galaxies rules only allow for 1 life attempts.