IGNORED

2023 VGS NES Weekly Contest - Renegade!

BeaIank

4 hours ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

Thanks! I would have tried to push my score past 300k, but I figured the fairest thing I could do was leave it where it was since it seemed like I was the only person that knew about being able to earn extra lives from having read the manual. I only got one per mission, but it may be possible to farm them indefinitely which explains why the Twin Galaxies rules only allow for 1 life attempts. 

I'm pretty sure you can only get one extra life per stage not counting the motorcycle stage or the bosses, so quite a few should be possible w/o it being indefinite; at least until the maze where one might be able to go in circles indefinitely, which, I realize now as I write this is probably what you meant in the first place...

34 minutes ago, PII said:

I'm pretty sure you can only get one extra life per stage not counting the motorcycle stage or the bosses, so quite a few should be possible w/o it being indefinite; at least until the maze where one might be able to go in circles indefinitely, which, I realize now as I write this is probably what you meant in the first place...

The manual doesn't even explain it clearly. It's literally as cryptic as a Simon's Quest clue. It says "Occasionally a heart will float past the Renegade. Catch it and a second Renegade will appear". Apparently that was a poorly translated way of saying you get an extra life since no second Renegade literally appears. It goes on to say "Hint-Use a sit on punch on the Renegade's third victim when the last digit of the timer is an even number". This does work on the third enemy of the stage, but I have no idea if it's like the 12th enemy bonus from Kung Fu and can be done on every third enemy or even the third enemy on each different screen. The best place to burn lives is at the beginning of the levels, so I don't know if losing a life and restarting on the first screen also resets the third enemy counter, which would make it possible to get the extra life, run out the timer and collect it again repeatedly. It's not explicitly stated on the Twin Galaxies rules why they only allow 1 life attempts, which was why I tagged @rdrunner to see if he knew about it, but I imagine that it may be possible to intentionally lose a life and repeatedly collect the 1 up heart.

Edited by Bearcat-Doug

57 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

The manual doesn't even explain it clearly. It's literally as cryptic as a Simon's Quest clue. It says "Occasionally a heart will float past the Renegade. Catch it and a second Renegade will appear". Apparently that was a poorly translated way of saying you get an extra life since no second Renegade literally appears. It goes on to say "Hint-Use a sit on punch on the Renegade's third victim when the last digit of the timer is an even number". This does work on the third enemy of the stage, but I have no idea if it's like the 12th enemy bonus from Kung Fu and can be done on every third enemy or even the third enemy on each different screen. The best place to burn lives is at the beginning of the levels, so I don't know if losing a life and restarting on the first screen also resets the third enemy counter, which would make it possible to get the extra life, run out the timer and collect it again repeatedly. It's not explicitly stated on the Twin Galaxies rules why they only allow 1 life attempts, which was why I tagged @rdrunner to see if he knew about it, but I imagine that it may be possible to intentionally lose a life and repeatedly collect the 1 up heart.

Lol, it's kind of amazing sometimes just how convoluted and labyrinthine this stuff can get.  Makes me think of this for some reason:

• The topic was unpinned