IGNORED

2023 VGS NES Weekly Contest - Super Mario Bros!

BeaIank

19 minutes ago, BeaIank said:

I am glad you all had fun this week. The idea was to make it fast to do so no large time commitment was needed, and to spice things up so people could find spots and mechanics they could exploit to achieve a higher score.

I will work on keeping things like that in many of the games we will be running this year.

I hope there's a mix of shorter contests and longer ones. Some of these games do deserve to be played in their entirety and aren't that long anyway such as Double Dragon II and Ninja Gaiden II. One life rules would result in shorter runs for most players.

• Agree 1

26 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

I didn't see the video with the high score strats until it was too late. I wanted to figure it out.

The strat in 1-1 is……questionable. I could see figuring out a gumba will bounce off a flat one but how do you learn the redirected gumba will pass through the turtle off screen. The slide job in 1-2 is fair imo.

On 3/31/2023 at 8:48 PM, Gloves said:

I'm live on Twitch going for a high score, in case anyone wants to watch/say hi: GlovesOffGames - Twitch

This has been up since Friday!?!?!?!? 

I cant believe I missed that! Too much shit going on this weekend. Somehow the rest of the world did not get the message that its SMB1 week. 

• Haha 3

Administrator · Posted
7 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

I cant believe I missed that! Too much shit going on this weekend. Somehow the rest of the world did not get the message that its SMB1 week. 

Yep lol. I did the thing twice in that latest little clip there. Didn't stick the landing but you can see how it's done (poorly).

• Like 1

8 hours ago, docile tapeworm said:

Nah the only thing that separated 120k from 140k was watching a video.

Go watch it done, then expend as much time, effort and further creativity as it takes you to get a score that is highly comparable to 150,000 and I'll listen to what you have to say.  I'm certainly not trying to disparage anyone who put in the effort that it takes to get a 120's score but There is a world of difference between making that happen and making an upper 140's score happen.

...almost forgot: I'm currently using a schematic diagram that someone else created to construct a fully functional space-faring-space-ship complete with lasers, torpedo launchers and a really dope hood ornament!  I'm planning to give it away to whoever wins the shooter genre this year.  You in for a shot?  Or should I just scrap the whole idea because somebody else laid the groundwork...?

Edited by PII

26 minutes ago, PII said:

Go watch it done, then expend as much time, effort and further creativity as it takes you to get a score that is highly comparable to 150,000 and I'll listen to what you have to say.  I'm certainly not trying to disparage anyone who put in the effort that it takes to get a 120's score but There is a world of difference between making that happen and making an upper 140's score happen.

...almost forgot: I'm currently using a schematic diagram that someone else created to construct a fully functional space-faring-space-ship complete with lasers, torpedo launchers and a really dope hood ornament!  I'm planning to give it away to whoever wins the shooter genre this year.  You in for a shot?  Or should I just scrap the whole idea because somebody else laid the groundwork...?

140k is weak you should have got 150k

I’ll take the space ship so I can sell it on eBay.

• Wow! 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, NESfiend said:

Theoretically yes but in practice go ahead and spend literal hours upon hours with failed and imperfect attempts. Just by playing SMB this time I realized how much of a glitchy mess this game is... 

17 minutes ago, BlackVega said:

Theoretically yes but in practice go ahead and spend literal hours upon hours with failed and imperfect attempts. Just by playing SMB this time I realized how much of a glitchy mess this game is... 

I definitely hear you and @PII on this point. With all the events I had going on this weekend, I would have never been able to get that 1-2 strat down and trying probably would have just pissed me off.

But I could def have incorporated the 1-1 strat that gets an extra goonba innthe mix. That extra 5k or 8k? would have bounced me up a couple spots. 

Administrator · Posted
3 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

I definitely hear you and @PII on this point. With all the events I had going on this weekend, I would have never been able to get that 1-2 strat down and trying probably would have just pissed me off.

But I could def have incorporated the 1-1 strat that gets an extra goonba innthe mix. That extra 5k or 8k? would have bounced me up a couple spots. 

The real 1-1 strat is to get the extra goomba in the combo, AND the star power for that extra 1k.

The 1-2 strat pissed me off cuz you'd do a perfect 1-1 then get to 1-2 and fuck THAT up, and it's like, 1/10 times I get a decent 1-1. So like, average maybe 1/100 times you end up getting BOTH right. Then you have to STILL get through 1-3 and 1-4, both simple enough on their own, but you just did a 1/100 kinda thing so it's like... pressure's on bitch, better not fuck up!

• Haha 2

42 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

With all the events I had going on this weekend, I would have never been able to get that 1-2 strat down and trying probably would have just pissed me off.

A complete run is less than 4 min., and the 1st step is always believing that you can.  That's a cliché, I know, and for good reason: It bares repeating.  Sometimes I have to remind myself frequently...

• Like 1

Administrator · Posted
6 minutes ago, PII said:

A complete run is less than 4 min., and the 1st step is always believing that you can.  That's a cliché, I know, and for good reason: It bares repeating.  Sometimes I have to remind myself frequently...

Meanwhile, me on Twitch:

"Fuck, I suck... Shit! SHIT! God I'm the worst. Fuckin shit I suck!" 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, BlackVega said:

One of the trickiest aspects to getting an ideal run, I think, is the multi-coin blocks.  Fifteen is the max for the one on level 1-1 and the two on 1-2 have a max of 11 each.  In all my runs this week I didn't nail all three of those a single time.  Also I only maxed the score on level 1-1 a single time.  If hit the coin blocks too fast you'll bounce off without getting a coin, too slow and you won't max.  It has to be just the right frequency and consistent and you have to nail it pretty much right away.  Halfway through won't do it...

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, Gloves said:

Meanwhile, me on Twitch:

The day that I get a better recording setup with a microphone that actually picks up sound properly, I will def. have to clean up my speech some...

Administrator · Posted
1 minute ago, PII said:

One of the trickiest aspects to getting an ideal run, I think, is the multi-coin blocks.  Fifteen is the max for the one on level 1-1 and the two on 1-2 have a max of 11 each.  In all my runs this week I didn't nail all three of those a single time.  Also I only maxed the score on level 1-1 a single time.  If hit the coin blocks too fast you'll bounce off without getting a coin, too slow and you won't max.  It has to be just the right frequency and consistent and you have to nail it pretty much right away.  Halfway through won't do it...

Getting 15 on 1-1 requires being tick perfect, it's super hard for sure. 

Administrator · Posted
Just now, PII said:

The day that I get a better recording setup with a microphone that actually picks up sound properly, I will def. have to clean up my speech some...

I CAN do a proper setup, but for this I just propped up my phone and it did all the work. Very lazy, not great quality, but at the same time feels kinda... Retro. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Gloves said:

I CAN do a proper setup, but for this I just propped up my phone and it did all the work. Very lazy, not great quality, but at the same time feels kinda... Retro. 

You and me Chief: "Retro Calculator" discusses matters with "Stone Knives & Bearskins."

29 minutes ago, Gloves said:

Meanwhile, me on Twitch:

"Why are you watching this? You don't wanna watch somebody being bad at video games." 🤣 

27 minutes ago, PII said:

Nah, be yourself. That "character" probably makes you more relatable, unique, fun to watch.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Link said:

Nah, be yourself. That "character" probably makes you more relatable, unique, fun to watch.

What's That?, you starvelling, you eel-skin, you dried neat’s-tongue, you bull’s-pizzle, you stock-fish–O for breath to utter what is like thee!-you tailor’s-yard, you sheath, you bow-case, you vile standing tuck!

...actually, maybe you're right.

We'll see... 😉 

• Haha 1

I set my monitors picture controls beforehand but it looks like It could have used a little more fine tuning so sorry about that; also, I prolly shoulda turned off that lamp in the backround.  Whoops!  But would you believe, I nailed that shit (more or less) on the first go?  Kinda a relief as I didn't want to spend too too much time on this tonight.

Anywho,

My 1-1 here was pretty weak sauce in a run for upper 140ks (53,650.)  I butchered the multi-coin block for a measly 12 coins, missed a number of blocks and almost ran into a goomba... made end by 2:86

1-2 went pretty well, but I missed a block or two and advanced the screen a coin too far at one point and then had to double back after missing another coin on the first attempt.  Hit (112,000) which was good.   Made the end by 2:46

1-3 went well, missed a super secret maneuver that I'm not sorry about because more often than not its a run ender.  Hit (140,300)  Made the end by 2:06

1-4 went as always...

Most of the additional maneuvers/tricks I figured out are not seen here.  They are mostly not too difficult to figure out either...