IGNORED

First enjoyable 3D gaming experience?

GPX

For me, it was Virtua Racing in the arcade. The graphics looked amazing at the time (I actually think the flat-shaded polygons still look nice today) and the fact is was on a large screen while I got to sit in an actual driver's seat with pedals and a steering wheel... at the time it was by far the most immersive experience I ever had with a video game.

I had similar feelings not long after with Wolfenstein 3D, Star Wars: X-Wing, and Doom, but of course it was hard for my home PC to compete with a giant arcade cabinet.

• Like 3

What are we going to consider 3D?  Doom is a type but really isn't because it doesn't use polygons, same with like Wing Commander which goes back to 1990-91. 🙂  Earlier 3D I do remember using flat polygons with decent detail would be X-Wing and TIE Fighter games on DOS too, so that?  I can only begin the guesses at how many 100s of hours I put into those 3 games on PC.

Console side though, Starfox I guess, or with a dedicated 3D console then Super Mario 64.

• Like 1

If we're sticking to the 90s, my personal pick would be Indy Car Racing (DOS, 1993).  It was pretty realistic for its time in graphics and physics, and had really cool camera modes.  It still impresses me today haha.  I remember playing this with steering wheel and pedals.  Quite the experience. 

Virtua Racing was awesome too with its graphics/performance.  I read at some point Sega was literally licensing military rendering technology from Lockheed for their earlier 3D games.  

Edited by nesmaster14
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Sumez said:

I can't imagine anyone ever thinking PS1 era 3D graphics looked photorealistic 😄

I wouldn’t call it photorealistic but the dinosaur tech demo was (and to me still is) quite impressive.

(I don’t know why but copy and paste isn’t working.  Google it should provide plenty of videos.)

• Agree 1

Events Team · Posted

I was born in 2001 so I don't think I can really effectively participate in this discussion, haha. Good 3D games have existed for as long as I have existed. Maybe that's kind of a unique perspective here, though?

With that said, what I BELIEVE was the very first 3D game I ever played was...

Buzz_Lightyear_to_the_Rescue_art.png

I believe it also doubles as the first PC game I ever played. Excellent game, really gotta replay it sometime, it's been so long. The soundtrack is SO SO good, did NOT need to be as good as it was.

I still to this day catch myself whistling the Al's Penthouse theme, and I haven't played this game in probably 15+ years. Such a memorable game for sure, especially as a kid who's never really played any 3D games up to that point, and who already loves Toy Story, haha. The Andy's Neighborhood theme really takes me back though. That was always one of my favorite parts of the game.

• Like 2

Playing Doom as a kid was not enjoyable. I had it with my PS1 but it definitely wasn't something I ever felt confident maneuvering. The 3D on rails were always great. Games like Panzer Dragoon and fighters like Virtua Fighter 2.

But the first time I really enjoyed 3D environments was Shadows of the Empire. I remember being blown away at flying that snow speeder to take down AT-ATs. 

• Like 5

Doom on the Sega 32X for me. I remember seeing a friend play it on his PC and I was blown away. I didn't own a PC at the time but being a Sega fan I went out and bought a 32X and the game.  Later on a friend showed me Wave Race 64 and I loved that. I went out and bought an N64 with Mario 64.

• Like 2

I was trying to think what the very first 3D game of any kind I played was, and it finally hit me! Lawnmower man on Super Nintendo! It was a pretty bad game, but I was always impressed with the 3D flying bonus stages as a young kid.

After that, Star Wing was impressive and I really love that game now, but as a kid it was super hard! And I remember playing the freeware version of Blake Stone on my Dad's MSDOS work computer.

The first 3D game to TRULY suck me in was Shadows of the Empire. It was the first N64 game I ever played and my life changed forever in that moment. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, G-type said:

I was way into Wolfenstein, to the point that I got burnt out on FPSes and kind of glossed over Doom. Didn't really get back until Duke Nukem 3d

haha what was there at the time besides Wolf3d? Ken's Labyrinth? 

2 hours ago, Link said:

haha what was there at the time besides Wolf3d? Ken's Labyrinth? 

Hmm Rise of the Triad? Doom, Doom 2, Blake Stone… I played all of these… just didn’t get addicted like I did with Wolfenstein. Duke 3d and Hexen were the only other ones that came close in terms of how much I played them. And nothing after that. Not really into Quake, Unreal…or anything console based

• Like 1

The first thing that came to mind was X-Wing immediately followed by TIE Fighter, but others' recollections were more accurate than mine, as they pointed out that Wolfenstein, which released a year prior and was quite fun.  However, hats off to @JamesRobot for thinking outside of the box and putting an X-Wing back in my top slot via the original Star Wars arcade game.  Unlike the other games mentioned, most of which I haven't played in years, I don't know that I've ever been able to walk past a Star Wars arcade cabinet and sink at least one quarter/game into it.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, G-type said:

Hmm Rise of the Triad? Doom, Doom 2, Blake Stone… I played all of these… just didn’t get addicted like I did with Wolfenstein. Duke 3d and Hexen were the only other ones that came close in terms of how much I played them. And nothing after that. Not really into Quake, Unreal…or anything console based

All those were after. So I was asking, you burned out on just Wolfenstein.

Hmm not sure why I didn't list Wolfenstein 3D either as I got that shareware disk as it arrived more or less having just got a PC for Christmas of 1990.  Doom I guess just is more prevalent.  I know I have played Star Wars arcade, Tempest too, but in fairness I couldn't begin to guess what year on either so it skipped my mind entirely.

Also when someone says 3D to me I kind of move more to 3D models, even overly basic ones like TIE Fighter DOS had, Starfox, or like Hard Drivin' and STUN Runner in arcades had over faux 3D in Wolfenstein.  I could make a case for the also vector based Star Trek arcade as I did play that at a Showbiz pizza back in the day, sit down cabinet, so so immersive.

There were so many titles but even Wolfenstein had a direct predecessor, an earlier yet version of that engine was in Catacombs 3D which most forget, even I forgot the name and had to look.

catacombs-3D.jpg

• Like 1