IGNORED

WINNERS REVEALED!!! GOLDEN GANONS 2023 FINAL POLLS - CONGRATULATIONS!!!

OptOut

GOLDEN GANON 2023 FINALS  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Best VGS Community Contest, Game, Challenge and/or Competition

• 8-Bit Xmas competition
    • The NES Weekly Contest
    • 31-Day Videogame Music challenge
    • Yearly Backlog Challenge
    • VGS Werewolf
    • VGS BINGO!
  2. 2. Best Individual Artistic contribution to the site (Video/Audio/Visual etc.)

• @CasualCart - Many contributions
    • @JamesRobot - Videomation skillz / pumpkin carvings
    • @DefaultGen - Werewolf videos
    • @OptOut - MS paint
  3. 3. VGS's Best Friend Award - The Most Friendly, Helpful and/or Generous Buddy on VGS!

• @Jeevan
    • @ZeldaFreak
    • @JVOSS
    • @Hybrid
    • @ReedRothchild
    • @spacepup
  4. 4. The Great gaming DEBATE! - The best, most memorable and/or most controversial game debate topic!

• SMB3 v. SMW - https://www.videogamesage.com/forums/topic/10752-smw-is-not-great-if-you-compare-it-to-smb3/
    • NES Rare Variants - https://www.videogamesage.com/forums/topic/1218-vgs-rare-varianterror-thread-nintendo-edition/
    • Decouple NES from Famicom - https://www.videogamesage.com/forums/topic/11742-decoupling-the-nes-from-the-famicom/
  5. 5. VGS' Gaming GOD award - The most impressive gaming achievement by a VGS'er (single game achievement and/or cumulative impressive performances).

• @ZeldaFreak - VGS Survivor challenges
    • @Floating Platforms - Hyper Lode Runner
    • @ReedRothchild - SNES Rankings
    • @Philosoraptor - Over 200 Backlog beats
    • @PII - Q*bert's Qubes
    • @Crabmaster2000 - Beating the NES library
  6. 6. VGS' HOTTEST take award - Which gaming related opinion is VGS' hottest take of the year? The more CONTROVERSIAL the opinion, the better!!!

• @docile tapeworm - Super Mario Bros. 2 is a fake Mario game!
    • @the_wizard_666 - NES has worst First-party line up of any Nintendo system.
    • @fcgamer - The Super Nintendo SUCKS.
  7. 7. VGS' Green-eyed Award; Pick-up of the year - Which single game, unique item or job-lot score by a VGS member made you GREEN with envy?

• @MiamiSlice - Year round pick-ups
    • @OptOut - Mega Drive shooters
    • @DefaultGen - Potential SMB prototype find
    • @Renmauzo - Cool pick-ups
    • @Galdius - Cool pick-ups
  8. 8. VGS' Ultimate Collection - Which member here has shown off VGS' best collection?

• @goldenpp7
    • @CodysGameRoom
    • @VideoGameGalaxy
    • @Nintegageo
    • @Ulrizza
    • @fcgamer
    • @JVOSS
  9. 9. VGS' Collectors' Collector Award - Which collector of VGS do you admire most?

• @spacepup
    • @Dr. Morbis
    • @drxandy
    • @ThePhleo
    • @Gloves
    • @fcgamer
    • @CasualCart
  10. 10. VGS' Class Clown award! Which VGS member tickled you just right, and made you ROFLcopter till you could ROFLcopter no more?

• @Murray
    • @DefaultGen
    • @OptOut
    • @JamesRobot
    • @FenrirZero
  11. 11. Public enemy No. 1 award! Just for FUN, which VGS member do you love to hate, or somehow always find yourself on opposite sides of the discursive battlefield?

• @Tanooki
    • @fcgamer
    • @peg
    • @Code Monkey
  12. 12. VGS' THREAD OF THE YEAR! Here it is folks, what you've all been waiting for! Your favourite thread on VGS, for ANY reason!

• Chili v. Potato - https://www.videogamesage.com/forums/topic/6382-what-is-this/
    • SMB3 v. SMW - https://www.videogamesage.com/forums/topic/10752-smw-is-not-great-if-you-compare-it-to-smb3/
    • HA MEGATHREAD - https://www.videogamesage.com/forums/topic/887-heritage-auctions-thread/

This poll is closed to new votes

13504132_logoawards.png.960ad9206e18c049a48e97b746788b33.png

Friends, enemies, frenemies, frenemies with benefits, WELCOME to the final voting round for the GOLDEN GANON AWARDS 2023!!! The nominations are in, the finalists have been chosen, and the bribes have been counted, all that remains now is for YOU to choose and vote for your community champions and VGS legends!

The polls will be open for one week, and after that our GOLDEN GANON award winners will finally be revealed! Good luck and get voting, you beautiful bastards you!!! 🤩

940148288_stagehostingconfetti.png.50e0f57145bd40b046ec484ad2c97a9c.png

Edited by OptOut
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

• The title was changed to VOTE NOW!!! GOLDEN GANONS 2023 FINAL POLLS - NOW OPEN!!!
10 hours ago, G-type said:

can I get some links to the cool collections, awesome pickups, hot takes, etc? I'm too lazy to search every single one.

I have a thread here that links to all the nomination threads, where we discussed the candidates and those include links to a lot of the relevant info! 😉

https://www.videogamesage.com/forums/topic/11723-welcome-to-the-vgs-community-awards-2023-the-golden-gannons/

20 minutes ago, OptOut said:

I have a thread here that links to all the nomination threads, where we discussed the candidates and those include links to a lot of the relevant info! 😉

https://www.videogamesage.com/forums/topic/11723-welcome-to-the-vgs-community-awards-2023-the-golden-gannons/

Yea, I did look there, but a lot of the nominations had no supporting photos or links... it was just their name. I just voted based on what information was available.

• Agree 1

15 minutes ago, G-type said:

Yea, I did look there, but a lot of the nominations had no supporting photos or links... it was just their name. I just voted based on what information was available.

It would be in the interests of those nominating certain candidates to establish the basis for their nomination, supporting their case with links etc.

Inevitably, in a casual, open nominating process such as this, certain people will receive less attribution and elaboration than others, which may be a pity. But, on the other hand, those with less support would ALSO probably be less likely candidates to win in any case, so it should roughly work out! 😅

This also seems like a good opportunity to try and attract new blood to Werewolf. If you’re like me and you get a little dopamine spike every time you see that little notification symbol light up, Werewolf will delivery you notifications like never before!

Edited by G-type
  • Haha 2
  • Agree 2

Events Helper · Posted
13 minutes ago, G-type said:

This also seems like a good opportunity to try and attract new blood to Werewolf. If you’re like me and you get a little dopamine spike every time you see that little notification symbol light up, Werewolf will delivery you notifications like never before!

Let's just say I have an idea for one I am cooking up 😆.  Shall I just go ahead and say Werewolf VGS Edition?

• Like 2
  • Wow! 4
  • Love 1

1111401810_redcarpet.png.a6557ac40c4760e9a87e1a10718c32a0.png

Our GOLDEN GANON 2023 winners are revealed!!!! Many thanks to all the people who nominated, voted and took part in the process, and a HEARTY congratulations to all our amazing award winners!!!

Let's run down the award categories and shout out our worthy champions! 🤩

1. Best VGS Community Contest, Game, Challenge and/or Competition:

Winner: VGS werewolf!!!

A very worthy winner here indeed, an award I think can be fairly shared by all our game leaders especially, as well as our regular players! It really does well represent the strength of the VGS community that the werewolf sessions here remain vigorously contested and excitedly anticipated time and time again! And, if you've never played before, now is as good a time as ever to check it out!

Also worth shouting out our runner-up, the NES weekly contest, obviously an incredibly popular hub for our community of Hardcore Nintendo gamers!!! 😉

2. Best Individual Artistic contribution to the site (Video/Audio/Visual etc.)

Winner: @CasualCart

I mean, really, whom else could it have possibly been! Undoubtedly our most prolific and popular artist on the site, may his ink ever floweth! 🤩

3. VGS's Best Friend Award - The Most Friendly, Helpful and/or Generous Buddy on VGS!

Winner: @Jeevan

An unbelievably kind, generous and wonderful friend for so many here on the site! Whether it be contributing to community events, hosting game nights, or even literally GIVING people games, Jeevan is an true blessing to our community! Incredibly generous with his time, money AND patience, we couldn't think of a better friend for VGS😊

4. The Great gaming DEBATE! - The best, most memorable and/or most controversial game debate topic!

Winner: SMB3 Vs. SMW by @AirVillain

A STORMING win here in this category, with over 80% of the vote, and absolutely well deserved! If you haven't read the thread, and you have a couple lazy hours to spare, grab a coke and a sandwich, or a cup of hot coffee, and just immerse yourself in the utter rollercoaster of an unforgettable and hilarious game debate. You won't be disappointed! 

5. VGS' Gaming GOD award - The most impressive gaming achievement by a VGS'er (single game achievement and/or cumulative impressive performances).

Winner: SNES rankings by @Reed Rothchild

He did it! It only took a full decade of work, but the guy actually did it. Every game on the Super Nintendo played and ranked, from the absolute worst to the very best, and A Link to the Past as well. What an absolute madman, an achievement that can only be properly honoured with an award invented by me, @OptOut. 😛

6. VGS' HOTTEST take award - Which gaming related opinion is VGS' hottest take of the year? The more CONTROVERSIAL the opinion, the better!!!

Winner: NES has the worst first-party Nintendo line-up by @the_wizard_666

This was a TRULY intensely contested award indeed, with @fcgamer's questionable opinions on the SNES within a hair's breadth of the win, but ultimately the truly unique opinion of @the_wizard_666 had to take it... The NES has Nintendo's worst first-party line-up? Whatever you say, boss! 😅

7. VGS' Green-eyed Award; Pick-up of the year - Which single game, unique item or job-lot score by a VGS member made you GREEN with envy?

Winner: SMB prototype by @DefaultGen

Another very convincing win here, the buzz surrounding a potential Super Mario Brothers prototype find by @DefaultGen is impossible to resist! Certainly a dream find for a great many Nintendo collectors around here, it's proof positive that the collecting journey still hides many great surprises and discoveries in store for us all!

8. VGS' Ultimate Collection - Which member here has shown off VGS' best collection?

Winner: @goldenpp72

Words can't really do it justice, the glory of not only the games and sets @goldenpp72 owns, but his epic gameroom display is just a dream for many of us! Please go back and check out the pictures in the nomination thread for this one, it's eye-candy so sweet you'll give your optic-nerve diabetes! 🤤

9. VGS' Collectors' Collector Award - Which collector of VGS do you admire most?

Winner: @spacepup

For this award I think each of the nominees would have made a worthy winner, and it is the quality of the companionship and comradery we find here at VGS that makes it a truly special place for all of us. However, undoubtedly, I think the right man has been chosen for this very special and honourable award: @spacepup.

As humble as @spacepup is, I am sure he would be embarrassed to feel the heat of the spotlight upon his back, but he thoroughly deserves the praise for his contributions to game preservation, his role as the resident "good cop" of VGS, and his constant effort and attention to keeping community relations here civil, friendly, welcoming and fair to all who would wish to participate. BRAVO! 🥳

10. VGS' Class Clown award! Which VGS member tickled you just right, and made you ROFLcopter till you could ROFLcopter no more?

Winner: @OptOut

I mean, sure. I didn't NEED the affirmation that I was so much better than you, specifically YOU reading this sentence, but I'll take it. 😎

11. Public enemy No. 1 award! Just for FUN, which VGS member do you love to hate, or somehow always find yourself on opposite sides of the discursive battlefield?

Winner: @fcgamer

Hoo hoo hoo boy! In what turned out to be a surprisingly hotly contested category, I think we found the bad boy VGS... deserves??? Yeah we'll go with that, well done @fcgamer, if that IS your real name! 😲

12. VGS' THREAD OF THE YEAR! Here it is folks, what you've all been waiting for! Your favourite thread on VGS, for ANY reason!

Winner: Heritage Auctions MEGATHREAD by @ExplodedHamster

How could it be anything else??? With apologies to Chili vs. Potato @Jeevan, but the multi-year, multi-hundred page SAGA of the Heritage Auctions thread DOMINATED discourse on VGS for almost two full years, and still trundles forward to this very day. 

We had the rise of the Graded Game Mafia, the WATA shills vs. heretics, the MILLION DOLLAR MARIO 64 sale by our own @ExplodedHamster, the return of @Dain, guest appearances by one @karljobst and the passionate independent journalist activism of @Seth! Not to mention a whole HOST of jokes, memes, drama, revelations and heated spicy debate, it really was ground zero for the whole Graded Game Investing bubble, as viewed through the lens of our community.

WELL DONE to all our wonderful award winners, as we conclude our awards season for this year! Feel free to post your acceptance speeches, congratulations, and/or bitter rebukes below! And here's to all of you, our entire community, everyone who makes VGS the most awesome place to be!!! 😍😍😍

13504132_logoawards.png.960ad9206e18c049a48e97b746788b33.png

• Like 4
  • Love 2

• The title was changed to WINNERS REVEALED!!! GOLDEN GANONS 2023 FINAL POLLS - CONGRATULATIONS!!!
Events Helper · Posted
1 minute ago, OptOut said:

An unbelievably kind, generous and wonderful friend for so many here on the site! Whether it be contributing to community events, hosting game nights, or even literally GIVING people games, Jeevan is an true blessing to our community! Incredibly generous with his time, money AND patience, we couldn't think of a better friend for VGS😊

Who told you I give away games?  Was it @phart010, @Gloves, @G-type or @spacepup lol.  I was planning on doing more, but he pandemic hit and I wanted to be able to make sure I was able to take care of my own before vgs unfortunately!  either way, i love vgs and will be giving away more games in the future if $$$$ permits me to do so!

• Love 2