IGNORED

MM Ranking List

DarkTone

Couldn't see this when I searched, so I decided to make it. Honestly shocked it doesn't exist. 

Recently saw a few game developers ranking their favourite Megaman games (1-11) and shocked to see that everyone had 3 in the bottom 3. So I wanted to bring it to VGS. Rank the Megaman 1-11 games from best to worst. Havent played them all, so I need time to work on mine. 

• Like 1

Oh, and the reason why 3 was probably so low in a lot of those was because that game has a lot less polish than usual. More slowdown and sprite flicker than seems warranted, glitches, Rush Jet is broken, some questionable design in the Wily Castle stages, and a couple of the Doc Robot fights might be less than totally fair and balanced. Can see why some wouldn't rank it particularly highly but I do think focusing too much on the issues would tend to miss the forest for the trees.

Edited by MagusSmurf
  • Like 1

Editorials Team · Posted

That's gonna be hard.  Some of these I've played through a thousand times, and some of them just once.  And some of those happened 20 years ago.  But I'll shoot from the hip:

• Top tier: Mega Man 2, Mega Man 3, Mega Man X, Mega Man X2
  • Great tier: Mega Man 4, Mega Man 8, Mega Man 9, Mega Man 11, Mega Man X4
  • Good tier: Mega Man 5, Mega Man 6, Mega Man 7, Mega Man 10, Mega Ma X3, Mega Man X5, Mega Man & Bass
  • Okay tier: Mega Man, Mega Man X6, Mega Man Zero, Mega Man Zero 2, Mega Man Zero 3, Mega Man Zero 4
  • Blah tier: Mega Man (PC), Mega Man Soccer, those fighting games
  • Like 3

Events Team · Posted

2 > 3 > 1 > 6 > 5 > 4 > 9 > 10 > 8 > 11 > 7

There is a pretty big drop off once the bolts system is introduced.  Mega Man starts to feel like a pay-to-win game.  Obviously you're not paying real money but in some of the games it feels like you have to spend bolts to have a chance.  And as cool as the Double Gear system is in MM11, It feels like cheating.  But the game is way too hard without using it.  

• Like 1

I've always really liked Mega Man 1. Maybe it's bc I played it first but it stuck out to me and is really memorable in a lot of ways. I always really liked 8 too. It has good level design and is easy to pick up and play. The progression to 32bit was done well too. 

I gotta go 1,2,3,8,11,6,4,5

• Like 2

5 hours ago, JamesRobot said:

2 > 3 > 1 > 6 > 5 > 4 > 9 > 10 > 8 > 11 > 7

There is a pretty big drop off once the bolts system is introduced.  Mega Man starts to feel like a pay-to-win game.  Obviously you're not paying real money but in some of the games it feels like you have to spend bolts to have a chance.  And as cool as the Double Gear system is in MM11, It feels like cheating.  But the game is way too hard without using it.  

So that was the issue with 11.  I didn't like juggling that crap so I tried to just go the normal way with the use X on Y to win, and I was getting wrecked.  Didn't know it went into a kind of overcharged pay to win (bolts, etc) scheme.  I never played it more than a couple times, got fed up, but I could see a steam pickup at this rate on some stupid cheap sale giving it one more chance.

I'm not sure really if this is rock solid, but... MM2, closely by MM3, MM4, MM6, MM5, MM1 sticking to the 8bit era.  16bit-present... I'd put it MM7, MM11, MM8, and 9/10 are interchangeable garbage playing off rose tinted feelings.

Edited by Tanooki
  • Like 1

Events Team · Posted
14 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

I'd put it MM7, MM11, MM8, and 9/10 are interchangeable garbage playing off rose tinted feelings.

I actually really like 9 and 10.  And I liked 8 back in the day.  And I do like 11, it's just... different.  7 is really the only one that I generally dislike.  I can't explain it other than it doesn't feel right when playing it.  

• Like 3

18 hours ago, DarkTone said:

Couldn't see this when I searched, so I decided to make it. Honestly shocked it doesn't exist. 

The search feature on this forum is so bad I have a theory it might be intentional. You might have more success making a google search with "site:videogamesage.com"

For some reason it's probably one of the most discussed thing here, I'm positive there's at least 10 other threads where people share what their favourite Mega Man games are 😄 

• Like 1

2, 1, 11, 4, 5... 3, 8, 6, 9, 10... 7. 

I think two (on difficult) is the best all around game. Basically a polished version of 1 which I think is still an awesome game and was a solid foundation for future games right out of the gate. 

11 is my new favourite as the gear system really adds to the game without removing the classic MM feel and the controls are so good with fast Rush and weapon changes. The game has a pretty big learning curve for a relatively simple game... Right up my alley. 

7 I just never liked. It was clunky, tedious and completely overshadowed by MMX at the time. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, phart010 said:

MegaMan 7 is one of my favorites. It puzzles me how so many people dislike it.

What really sours me on it is the final wily fight, which is a steep difficult spike in an otherwise balanced title.  It is made more annoying by the fact that the typical boss rush is considered part of the same stage, so you really just have one shot at wily with all your tanks, or you have to run all the boss rush all over again.  I was able to beat it without much trouble last time I played it, but it has totally killed my runs in the past and fills me with dread when I think about replaying 7 again.

(And of course the comparisons to neighboring X series, which really made 7 feel like a step back after)