IGNORED

NES Completions thread 2023 - 600/677 (bonus games - 75/100)

scaryice

7 hours ago, Jandrem said:

Started working on Ultima Exodus. Shouldn’t take as long as Final Fantasy did. I’ve beat Exodus multiple times in the past, so this time I’m rolling with a slightly sub-optimal party to see how things go; Human Ranger, two Fuzzy Larks, and a Bobit Cleric (can’t skimp out on the healing). 

If you make it decently far, if you've got the time and inclination, please send me a PM with how you did it.  I've been playing at that game since it was new and I bought it off the friend who got it from the store, didn't succeed, and wanted to dump it, and have never had any success.  I get my guys initially leveled as high as they're capable of going, then just get totally rolled over by the "second" stage enemies who you can't just use bulk "insta kill" magic to take care of.  I've read multiple walkthroughs and strategy guide entries on it through the years, but they all seem to be missing something, unless what I've been missing this whole time is just luck.

Solstice is done. Omg, what an incredibly difficult game! I even used a guide just to figure out how to get around, but performing those strategies and jumps is just insanely challenging. There were even points where I kind of soft-locked myself and either had to restart or use a continue. But when you use a continue you lose all of the lives that you had stacked up, so you might just as well start over completely from the beginning. The other annoying thing is that you continue from the point and moment, where you picked up the continue item. This could mean that you're sent back to pretty much the beginning of the game where you first picked up that item. It's ridiculous! Also, 3 lives is very little, unless you've already mastered the game.

I dunno, in a way it's s cool and pretty well thought-out game, but at the same time it's way too punishing. Well, at least one tough 10-pointer is gone now.

Solstice.jpg

Solstice_Score.jpg

• Like 1
  • Wow! 1

6 minutes ago, Gaia Gensouki said:

Solstice is done. Omg, what an incredibly difficult game! I even used a guide just to figure out how to get around, but performing those strategies and jumps is just insanely challenging. There were even points where I kind of soft-locked myself and either had to restart or use a continue. But when you use a continue you lose all of the lives that you had stacked up, so you might just as well start over completely from the beginning. The other annoying thing is that you continue from the point and moment, where you picked up the continue item. This could mean that you're sent back to pretty much the beginning of the game where you first picked up that item. It's ridiculous! Also, 3 lives is very little, unless you've already mastered the game.

I dunno, in a way it's s cool and pretty well thought-out game, but at the same time it's way too punishing. Well, at least one tough 10-pointer is gone now.

I had this game as a kid and never got far in it. There's the double challenge in needing to figure out where to go and what to do plus the stupid isometric platforming.

I know that similar isometric adventures were very popular on British micros.

Edited by mbd39

19 hours ago, NESfiend said:

I remember seeing video of that game and thinking it looked really cool. Took some time to track down a decent copy. Finally got it in the mail, popped it in all excited, and something about it made me go, "oh this is a real piece of shit." Maybe it was broken feeling controls? Something like that 

Yeah, the controls may be little stiff at first, like a less responsive version of R.C. Pro-Am, but you can get used to it. Later on it's also worth buying temporary steering upgrades which make the controls mcuh smoother. But they can only be used one time and are too expensive at the beginning, where you should focus on upgrading your car.

But who knows, maybe I have played so many crappy NES games by now, that I have built up some sort of resistance.

Edit: I tried R.C. Pro-Am II for comparison which tends to get better ratings. However, I think that this game sucks pretty had. It may control better, but the cars are often faster than the screen so steering becomes near impossible unless you know the track in advance. On top of that you have to collect some random letters on the street in order to upgrade your car. However, they're rare and the CPU tends to collect them before you. And once they do you may end up in a vicious circle where you can't upgrade your car anymore, but they can. Then your entire playthrough is basically ruined just by one error earlier on. On top of that you don't even get passwords like in Super Cars. What a crappy game!

Edited by Gaia Gensouki

15 hours ago, mbd39 said:

I had this game as a kid and never got far in it. There's the double challenge in needing to figure out where to go and what to do plus the stupid isometric platforming.

Yeah, this game challenges you in multiple ways and I can imagine that a child wouldn't be able to do this.

15 hours ago, mbd39 said:

I know that similar isometric adventures were very popular on British micros.

Yeah, I've seen videos of such games in Youtube videos, but this was the first time that I've played something like this myself.

17 hours ago, darkchylde28 said:

If you make it decently far, if you've got the time and inclination, please send me a PM with how you did it.  I've been playing at that game since it was new and I bought it off the friend who got it from the store, didn't succeed, and wanted to dump it, and have never had any success.  I get my guys initially leveled as high as they're capable of going, then just get totally rolled over by the "second" stage enemies who you can't just use bulk "insta kill" magic to take care of.  I've read multiple walkthroughs and strategy guide entries on it through the years, but they all seem to be missing something, unless what I've been missing this whole time is just luck.

The short answer is to max your xp on the first stage enemies (2500 I think) and then avoid combat for the rest of the playthrough. Wizards have a variety of high-damage and insta-kill spells for tough enemies. Get Bows for your martial class characters asap.  

Once your XP is maxed and your gold is maxed, go talk to the king and he’ll level you up to 5(you need the Mark of Kings to level higher) and pirate ships will appear on the world map. Fight one, take the ship, and sail it into a whirlpool to Ambrosia. Find the shrines and spend gold to max your stats, then find another whirlpool to go home. From there you can use any guide for dungeons and getting endgame gear. 

SUPER IMPORTANT BUG: in Exodus’ Castle, ranged weapons DO NOT WORK.   No bows, no slings, no daggers. It’s a bug. Count on kill spells and melee with Sun Swords if necessary. 

1 hour ago, Gaia Gensouki said:

I tried R.C. Pro-Am II for comparison which tends to get better ratings. However, I think that this game sucks pretty had. It may control better, but the cars are often faster than the screen so steering becomes near impossible unless you know the track in advance. On top of that you have to collect some random letters on the street in order to upgrade your car. However, they're rare and the CPU tends to collect them before you. And once they do you may end up in a vicious circle where you can't upgrade your car anymore, but they can. Then your entire playthrough is basically ruined just by one error earlier on. On top of that you don't even get passwords like in Super Cars. What a crappy game!

R.C. Pro-Am II is probably one of the 10 toughest games I've beaten. And yeah, a critical aspect of the game is to memorize the tracks and gobble up the power-ups before the computer can get to them. You can overpower your vehicle and dominate the first 2/3s of the races before the computers inevitably catch up and start fucking you over.

29 minutes ago, nerdynebraskan said:

R.C. Pro-Am II is probably one of the 10 toughest games I've beaten. And yeah, a critical aspect of the game is to memorize the tracks and gobble up the power-ups before the computer can get to them. You can overpower your vehicle and dominate the first 2/3s of the races before the computers inevitably catch up and start fucking you over.

Aww, that's too bad, because the game controls really well and runs fine, too. So it had most of the ingredients to be a good or great game. But it's also reassuring to hear, that other people have trouble with this game as well. I'll keep this game on the back burner and try something else first, even if I don't quite know yet which one it will be.

7 minutes ago, Gaia Gensouki said:

Aww, that's too bad, because the game controls really well and runs fine, too. So it had most of the ingredients to be a good or great game. But it's also reassuring to hear, that other people have trouble with this game as well. I'll keep this game on the back burner and try something else first, even if I don't quite know yet which one it will be.

Keep in mind that the game is one of the very few on the NES to support the 4P multi-tap. It's the best racing game on the system as a multiplayer. The computers are just too overpowered on the single-player game.

I noticed that the win condition for Joust seems wrong. Looking at the archives, wave 16 was decided because that was the first appearance of the last enemy type, the shadow lord. However, that only seems to be true for the arcade version - in the NES version, his first appearance is on wave 21. So, it looks like it should be beat wave 21 instead.

Edited by scaryice
  • Like 1

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2023 - 351/667 (bonus games - 23/100)
On 1/28/2023 at 6:47 AM, Gaia Gensouki said:

Edit: I tried R.C. Pro-Am II for comparison which tends to get better ratings. However, I think that this game sucks pretty had. It may control better, but the cars are often faster than the screen so steering becomes near impossible unless you know the track in advance. On top of that you have to collect some random letters on the street in order to upgrade your car. However, they're rare and the CPU tends to collect them before you. And once they do you may end up in a vicious circle where you can't upgrade your car anymore, but they can. Then your entire playthrough is basically ruined just by one error earlier on. On top of that you don't even get passwords like in Super Cars. What a crappy game!

Lol rc pro am 2 is easily in my top 5 nes games. Absolutely love it. But I cant honestly say that your criticisms are out of bounds or way off. Except I have never had issues with cpu collecting letters. You are correct that you really have to stay on top of collecting them. But if you miss one lap 1, its usually there lap 2. May have just had bad rng on that. They arent trying to pick them up (they dont move toward them). You are correct track memorization is a must. 

I dont know how far you got, but the fairest criticism of the game is that the last handful of tracks, the cpu is straight up faster than you. Even if you have upgraded perfectly throughout. If you are looking for an even playing field with CPU, this isnt the game and that pissed me off at first. Once you accept that its a different kind of challenge those last races, finding a way to finish top 2 by clawing your way with superior driving and weapons (very necessary), its a lot of fun imo

• Like 1

On 1/28/2023 at 6:54 AM, Jandrem said:

The short answer is to max your xp on the first stage enemies (2500 I think) and then avoid combat for the rest of the playthrough. Wizards have a variety of high-damage and insta-kill spells for tough enemies. Get Bows for your martial class characters asap.  

Once your XP is maxed and your gold is maxed, go talk to the king and he’ll level you up to 5(you need the Mark of Kings to level higher) and pirate ships will appear on the world map. Fight one, take the ship, and sail it into a whirlpool to Ambrosia. Find the shrines and spend gold to max your stats, then find another whirlpool to go home. From there you can use any guide for dungeons and getting endgame gear. 

SUPER IMPORTANT BUG: in Exodus’ Castle, ranged weapons DO NOT WORK.   No bows, no slings, no daggers. It’s a bug. Count on kill spells and melee with Sun Swords if necessary.

Thanks for this; I've been looking for a way to play through this game without using secondary parties (first party gets the boat, then you switch), as that's against my personal rules for beating rpg's.  Can you recommend the best party to use for the strategy you outlined above?