IGNORED

Beat Every N64 Game - 2023 - 303/303 -- BOOGIE DOWN

Splain

20 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Winback has 31 stages?

jesus-christ-rudy-ayoub.gif

I spent a lot of tonight limping through 6 and 7.  Anytime I hit a laser or got ganked by someone who closed in, I basically wanted to turn it off.

Not good.

No going back now! We're relying on you to finish this game 😄 if we end up at 302 because you couldn't make it Jeevan is flying to your house and stealing all your games 🤣

• Haha 1

Events Helper · Posted
5 hours ago, Brickman said:

I have the x7 and tried the Taz game we were talking about the other week with Jeevan. It had issues but someone mentioned it was probably just the rom causing the issue. I was able to boot the game but it had some lag and the sound wouldn't play.

Setup: PAL Sony Trinitron that can also output in NTSC 60Hz, Japanese N64, Everdrive x7.

Never had any issue with any of the US NTSC games on the Everdrive though and the Japanese games I own physical copies.

ya, idk.  I have my og ntsc n64 and am playing on an updated TV.  could be me idk.

25 minutes ago, Jeevan said:

ya, idk.  I have my og ntsc n64 and am playing on an updated TV.  could be me idk.

@Brickman the PAL N64 and NTSC N64 have different timing settings for video and audio etc.

The two NTSC regions are functionally identical, and so any Japanese or US ROM will work flawlessly on either a US or Japanese N64. However, for PAL games you really need to use a PAL machine, otherwise there could be any number of glitches and alterations to the game experience, ranging from barely noticeable to completely game breaking.

It's why I have both PAL and NTSC N64's hooked up.

• Thanks 1

Events Helper · Posted
2 minutes ago, OptOut said:

@Brickman the PAL N64 and NTSC N64 have different timing settings for video and audio etc.

The two NTSC regions are functionally identical, and so any Japanese or US ROM will work flawlessly on either a US or Japanese N64. However, for PAL games you really need to use a PAL machine, otherwise there could be any number of glitches and alterations to the game experience, ranging from barely noticeable to completely game breaking.

ya, I kinda lean towards my n64 from what I have read about online.  perhaps there are roms that fix the issue? 

Edited by Jeevan
  • Agree 1

13 hours ago, ikk said:

Tonic Trouble is done:

My least favorite N64 platformer so far.
The game has a wacky story and fun characters, but the gameplay is just boring with a ton of backtracking and mandatory collectables.

Oof, I really like Tonic Trouble! I like the more linear level design in the game, it's a refreshing change of pace compared to the more common open-world style of platformer on N64.

I also like the variety of moves, the cool visuals and sounds, and just overall gameplay. Shame you didn't enjoy it! 🙁

• Sad 1

56 minutes ago, OptOut said:

Ahhh ok. I thought that might be the case. PAL N64s are too expensive here these days 😞

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, OptOut said:

Oof, I really like Tonic Trouble! I like the more linear level design in the game, it's a refreshing change of pace compared to the more common open-world style of platformer on N64.

I also like the variety of moves, the cool visuals and sounds, and just overall gameplay. Shame you didn't enjoy it! 🙁

I didn't mind the linear level design, but when the levels are linear don't make me go through them several times because I missed a mandatory collectable. The flying you unlock could have been fun if the controls weren't so hard to get used to.

Definitely agree with the cool visuals though! 😁

• Like 1

I repaired the thumbsticks on some of my controllers while I was at the office today. It really was not too difficult; I also dabbed synthetic grease anywhere that would have friction. I have not had a tight thumbstick on an N64 controller since I was probably 7. I could immediately tell the difference. It is uncanny how nasty it was inside a couple of the controllers. I spent far more time cleaning than replacing the parts. 

• Like 1

• The title was changed to Beat Every N64 Game - 2023 - 125/303
1 hour ago, Splain said:

Nice job, what level is broken? I beat that one a few years back.

In Ann's 3rd level, the game only let's the ball jump the hole about half the time, but the computer jumps it everytime with no problem. It didn't really bother me until I had to beat her the 3rd time and the computer retaliated for blood on any reverse powerups. 

Editorials Team · Posted
1 hour ago, Nugfish said:

In Ann's 3rd level, the game only let's the ball jump the hole about half the time, but the computer jumps it everytime with no problem. It didn't really bother me until I had to beat her the 3rd time and the computer retaliated for blood on any reverse powerups. 

Ahahaha yeah, I remember that part. I actually wrote a strategy guide for GameFAQs, where I warned never to use powerups as weapons, because the CPU takes it personally lol.

• Like 2