IGNORED

Beat Every N64 Game - 2023 - 303/303 -- BOOGIE DOWN

Splain

Events Helper · Posted
22 minutes ago, Splain said:

I've been half-wanting to do that for a while. Those points are based off of the order the games are historically completed, since they've cleared all the games many times now. So any game that gets knocked out right away, year after year, will have a low point value, even if it's a long game. So it does adjust slightly year after year It's a nice results-driven way to decide point values. I believe the SNES thread did it like that too, back in the day.

If we want to copy the NES thread, each game is worth 1 thru 10 points, and there are equal numbers in each tier. So for us it'll look like ~30 games for each point value. Games that rarely get beaten (Hey You Pikachu, Forsaken, etc) will be 10-pointers and games that always get done quickly (Smash, Dr. Mario, etc) will be 1-pointers. We can mess with the details if we want to.

I can get to work on a point system like that, and see what the adjusted leaderboard looks like so far. I'd need to gather data on what order the games were completed for the last 5ish years, so I'd need some time to do that.

ya, we need to revamp it for sure, I think similar to nes sounds good, but feel free to chime in everyone!

The NES system does sound better to me. I don't think there is much incentive for people to play stuff like Starcraft or Jet Force Gemini for only a couple of points.

Something like Starcraft needs to be in its own league imo maybe 20-25 points or something. As Jeevan can attest to, Starcraft is an absolute beast of a game and without that incentive it will make it hard to beat this library every year. 

I only beat around 5 games for the library every year so I probably don't have as big of a say but that's my thoughts.

• Like 2

Events Helper · Posted
9 minutes ago, Brickman said:

The NES system does sound better to me. I don't think there is much incentive for people to play stuff like Starcraft or Jet Force Gemini for only a couple of points.

Something like Starcraft needs to be in its own league imo maybe 20-25 points or something. As Jeevan can attest to, Starcraft is an absolute beast of a game and without that incentive it will make it hard to beat this library every year. 

I only beat around 5 games for the library every year so I probably don't have as big of a say but that's my thoughts.

3 minutes ago, Gloves said:

Yeah like Aidyn Chronicles, while being one of the best games on the console, IS a whole like 60 hour long game with little you can do to speed that time up.

I think anything over 36 hours that are a slog definitely do need to be in an upper tier.  maybe mireso than the 10 points.  maybe not really 25 like my previous statement, but maybe the longest game gets an extra point per year not completed or something to that effect.  pinging @Splain to maybe make a bonus point system that takes in the old system kinda?

I would think something similar to NES would be ideal. The goal is obviously to incentivize the community to beat the library and ours may not be doing that to the fullest. I usually beat alot of sports games each year and having most sports titles that can usually be beaten within an hour give the same points or more than the rpgs/rts/crap superman-like games doesn't make much sense imo.

Edited by Nugfish
  • Like 1

Administrator · Posted

Honestly I've said in the past that I'd hold a raffle in the past for an Everdrive if we complete the goal. Maybe I adjust that to "Rare Game X with a budget of Y per year" and extend it to all of the like threads. And make it more clear/advertised that that's even a thing.

My only concern would be if someone came in and just lied about completing a bunch of games to win the game. I was thinking it'd be based on points earned, but that'd need ironed out to make it work.

@Splain thoughts on my offering a prize? 

Events Helper · Posted
27 minutes ago, Gloves said:

Honestly I've said in the past that I'd hold a raffle in the past for an Everdrive if we complete the goal. Maybe I adjust that to "Rare Game X with a budget of Y per year" and extend it to all of the like threads. And make it more clear/advertised that that's even a thing.

My only concern would be if someone came in and just lied about completing a bunch of games to win the game. I was thinking it'd be based on points earned, but that'd need ironed out to make it work.

@Splain thoughts on my offering a prize? 

charms are enough for me imo, but idk what everyone else feels.

• Agree 2

Administrator · Posted
2 minutes ago, Jeevan said:

I get it, @Gloves.  Totally ok with prizes or whatever, but is it just the yearlys?  is it all of them, i mean, where do we draw a line?

Dunno tbh. It's not like VGS is swimming in funds, but as you know there's some healthy wiggle room to spend on prizing for "stuff".

Administrator · Posted
1 minute ago, Jeevan said:

That's kinda my thinking....the new everdrives are 200ish or so, so 😬  that's a lot of moolah 😉 

Yeah but like, once a year. Mmmm... yeah I guess it adds up if it's suddenly every thread, even at 3 that's $600 a year if we actually did it every year (as doubtful as that is).

• Agree 1

Events Helper · Posted
Just now, Gloves said:

Yeah but like, once a year. Mmmm... yeah I guess it adds up if it's suddenly every thread, even at 3 that's $600 a year if we actually did it every year (as doubtful as that is).

maybe you start out with a raffle for each and like gauge interest and see what everyone feels and then start next year?  Since not everyone frequents this thread and the nes boys would prolly like to know at the beginning of the year so they can stay up and chug esspresso on december 31st for a full week to beat all the games.....

Administrator · Posted
10 minutes ago, Jeevan said:

maybe you start out with a raffle for each and like gauge interest and see what everyone feels and then start next year?  Since not everyone frequents this thread and the nes boys would prolly like to know at the beginning of the year so they can stay up and chug esspresso on december 31st for a full week to beat all the games.....

Bro they already do that. I can't imagine the speed if they had incentive.

• Haha 1

Is there any record or place that shows how long each game is time wise? I know of howlongtobeat.com or whatever it is. But they never had even a good chunk of games listed when I looked. 

I think it might be good to use this year (if everyone can give a pretty good estimate of each game they played) or next year to determine about how long it takes to beat the games. Maybe even contribute to the how long to beat website. Then develop the point system from there

The only point system that makes sense to me is one based on time to beat a game

2 minutes ago, LeatherRebel5150 said:

Is there any record or place that shows how long each game is time wise? I know of howlongtobeat.com or whatever it is. But they never had even a good chunk of games listed when I looked. 

I think it might be good to use this year (if everyone can give a pretty good estimate of each game they played) or next year to determine about how long it takes to beat the games. Maybe even contribute to the how long to beat website. Then develop the point system from there

The only point system that makes sense to me is one based on time to beat a game

gamefaqs has game length info from user reviews, but I have found it to be WAY off on the long side. Using this year for a game length reference would make alot of sense if we needed that information to rescale the points. Also, taking a poll asking game length from those that have played them over the years could garner fairly accurate results

Yeah don't use the gamefaqs length averages expecting much accuracy, they tend to be ridiculous inflated. The game length ranking based on those averages might be okay for quickly identifying particularly long or short games (see here:  https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/games/rankings?platform=84&list_type=time&min_votes=2&page=7 ) if that would be of use but that's probably it. And of course people there probably didn't have "skip straight to the playoffs, win, roll credits, game beaten" types of clears in mind.

Howlongtobeat is generally pretty good, but for pre-modern games you can sometimes fall victim to people assuming the in-game time-played clocks are reasonably accurate, which is not always the case. Quest 64 is a ~20 hour game but the inaccurate in-game clock time near the end is around ~12 hours and HTLB says the game is the latter length.

Editorials Team · Posted
1 hour ago, LeatherRebel5150 said:

The historical completion order makes some sense though, because not every hour spent playing N64 is equal. I think a lot of us would rather play a fun game over a boring one, even if it takes them longer. And rather than trying to make some kind of judgment call on how fun each game is, (that's @Jeevan's job 😄) it all gets factored in by what people actually choose to play. There are drawbacks though.

Then yeah, it's hard to say how long each game is. It might take me all day to get through a game you could slam out in an hour. And how long does it take to beat the kind of game that takes hours of practice, but an expert could clear it in minutes? (cough, Micro Machines 64 Turbo)

We could probably agree, though, on a list of games that definitely take an eternity no matter what, and give a premium for those ones. I'm not opposed to that. Starcraft, Ogre Battle, Aidyn, etc

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Nugfish said:

I should have Bassmasters 2000 done this week, but really struggled to finish Bass Hunter 64 last year. I think @LeatherRebel5150 beat it in one of the prior years. Might you be willing to take that one this year?

I wouldn’t mind doing it. But I don’t know when I’ll get to it. That’s why Ive never did any “claims” on games. I lack the schedule to be consistent on when/ how much I can play. 

24 minutes ago, LeatherRebel5150 said:

I wouldn’t mind doing it. But I don’t know when I’ll get to it. That’s why Ive never did any “claims” on games. I lack the schedule to be consistent on when/ how much I can play. 

No problems. If you get a chance to tackle it, I won't get in your way! Clint Eastwood Quote GIF by Top 100 Movie Quotes of All Time

• Like 1