IGNORED

Beat Every N64 Game - 2023 - 303/303 -- BOOGIE DOWN

Splain

19 hours ago, Jeevan said:

@NESfiend you want in on this year?  you gonna do that 1080 game or whatever?  🙂 

If thats available, hell yeah. I actually started to do snowboard kids for this thread twice. I dont have a memory pak and it takes me more than a night. Both times after a day or two, damn thing froze up (probably my kids running into shit). I may get back to that too if no one else wants it. Hope things are good in Jeeves' world!

Events Helper · Posted
Just now, NESfiend said:

If thats available, hell yeah. I actually started to do snowboard kids for this thread twice. I dont have a memory pak and it takes me more than a night. Both times after a day or two, damn thing froze up (probably my kids running into shit). I may get back to that too if no one else wants it. Hope things are good in Jeeves' world!

Not too bad, feel free to knock out a game or two.  Hope all is well in NES world, but join us here and feel so dirty 😆

• Haha 1

Events Helper · Posted
3 minutes ago, ikk said:

Finally had time to start with Taz Express, you're not missing out on much with this not getting a US release.

I'm planning on playing through more of the platformers, Daffy Duck is next after Taz so I'll go ahead and claim that 1.

good to know 😆

Hydro Thunder is coming along. There are quite a few racers on the N64 that require you to memorize the track, find the hidden shortcuts, and don't make a mistake to win and this is easily my favorite of those games......Also, eff Lego Racers for all of the aforementioned reasons.......

Events Helper · Posted
11 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

Is this a faster start than last year? 1/3 of the library in 3 weeks seems monstrous. I know easiest games tend to go first, but still. 

not sure tbh.

3 minutes ago, PII said:

C'mon @NESfiend !!  I hear there's a couple of Racing Games on this platform!

perhaps you should join in?

• The title was changed to Beat Every N64 Game - 2023 - 107/303
  • The title was changed to Beat Every N64 Game - 2023 - 111/303

Asteroids Hyper 64 is done.  This one seems like it would be a REAL toughy to "No-Death."  I would say approximately half the times I died were of the "never-saw-it-comin'" variety... Great Game though.  I used to play this 2-player with a friend and we'd laugh ourselves silly..

Asteroids Hyper 64.png

• Like 9

• The title was changed to Beat Every N64 Game - 2023 - 115/303

I beat Space Invaders on normal mode, hopefully that's enough to count for completion!

IMG20230123154140.jpg.f8fa16d0b1cf2010fdac3218c8cab330.jpg

IMG20230123154201.jpg.641075602438bd50bc0981d6c68d75b9.jpg

I think this is a pretty faithful adaptation of the original Space Invaders formula, with enough bells and whistles to make the game a little more interesting, but without substantially altering the core experience.

In terms of judging the quality of the game, and certainly the VALUE a game like this would represent for someone who bought it back in 99, well I think you can look at it from two completely opposite directions.

On the one hand, it is a VERY simple, and rather shallow experience, a shooter from a LONG bygone era even in 1999. It makes a mockery of the dearth of shooters on the N64 as a platform, when this is actually one of the few AND one of the best it has. CERTAINLY, anyone who paid the full 60 bucks to buy this game brand new when there are SO many richer experiences on the system to be had would undoubtedly have felt short changed.

On the other hand, however, I actually really quite like this game, as a straight up remake of Space Invaders. Going into the game knowing that that is what you are getting, the game does a lot right. Decent enemy variety, plenty of power ups and weapons to experiment with, and a fast-paced level progression system, so you can beat it pretty quick once you've got good at it.

The only real gripe I have with the gameplay is that your bullets are quite slow, and you need to wait for them to leave the screen before you can fire another, but then again that sort of shot precision is a part of the Space Invaders experience, and you can grab a power up to double your bullets which does somewhat alleviate this gripe.

You can also save your progress with a memory Pak, which is a big plus, although it DOES kinda take away from the challenge of the game and the more arcade style of high-score chasing when you can just reload after a Game Over.

So yeah, I would recommend this game to Space Invaders fans, definitely, and I would also more cautiously recommend it to wider arcade and shooter game fans, but only if you are willing to accept that this is a relatively pared down experience by the standards of the time.

• Like 11