IGNORED

Beat Every N64 Game - 2023 - 303/303 -- BOOGIE DOWN

Splain

DK64's going well, 45 Golden Bananas and 4 levels in at the moment. Hopefully if I can keep up this pace, I'll have it done sometime next week. 👍

I've also started to chip away at Penny Racers inbetween monkeying around, though that one's slower going. I'm not great at it just yet, but it's a little gaming goal of mine to get good at racers this year. 

• Like 4

Daffy Duck Starring Duck Dodgers:

GD5VWQwl.jpg

Despite the bit of camera jank I'm really enjoying all these platformers 🙂

Daffy Duck had some fun levels and the expected Looney Tunes humor. I didn't really like the boss battles, they weren't interesting or challenging, they were just annoying.

I'll start Tonic Trouble next, so please add it to the claim sheet.

• Like 8

Editorials Team · Posted
On 1/23/2023 at 1:11 AM, OptOut said:

I beat Space Invaders on normal mode, hopefully that's enough to count for completion!

Sooooooooo there's definitely an ending and a new mode unlocked when you beat it on Normal, but there's a credit roll when you beat it on Extreme or higher. What does everyone think? I lean toward the credit roll.

• The title was changed to Beat Every N64 Game - 2023 - 119/303
Administrator · Posted
14 minutes ago, Splain said:

Sooooooooo there's definitely an ending and a new mode unlocked when you beat it on Normal, but there's a credit roll when you beat it on Extreme or higher. What does everyone think? I lean toward the credit roll.

In my backlog I tend towards "seeing the game from start to finish" as beating it, regardless of difficulty played or outcome. If there's an ending it's been "beaten". I use "complete" as a term for the extra mile, be that collecting everything, or in the case of anything that lacks trophies/achievements/collectibles I'd consider it beating the hardest difficulty and/or any bonus content. This extends even to "best endings" and the like - a shmup which requires you to beat the game on the hardest difficulty to see the "true ending" I'd consider "beaten" upon completion of any single playthrough, and "completed" upon unlock of the "true ending".

Not that every thread needs to be consistent, but considering the NES thread for example, do they require that you beat the 2nd quest in Legend of Zelda to call it "beaten"? Ghosts 'n' Goblins, same question. Etc.. 

I personally feel that "credits rolled" is too inconsistent a metric, and a more general approach like "play through the game on any difficulty" is both more approachable (easier) and more consistent. 

If we feel the above adjustment would make it too easy overall and we'd be clearing the console without issue too quickly, we could always add bonus completion points or something for playing certain games on higher difficulties or something. It might make tracking more cumbersome, but could also get more folks participating, as well as an opportunity for more competitive folks to get their bragging points in by extending the difficulty scaling to all games (including those you don't have to beat on a high difficulty today).

MRC is a good example - you get credits after beating the easiest courses; could reward people with bonus points for also completing the harder ones.

Food for thought.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Splain said:

Seeing the credits has been the criteria for completing most of the games on the list so it would make sense to require it, but I don't like it. Pokemon Puzzle League had to be beat on 'Hard' to see credits which I didn't mind, but games like 1080 and the Extreme G titles have to be beaten on ridiculous difficulty which I absolutely don't like. Some seem arbitrary like Star Wars Shadow of the Empire must be beat on Medium and Killer Instinct on Hard - I assume that is because of a credit roll, but I have tried and failed so I wouldn't know. Battlezone: Rise of the Black Dogs has to be beat with Americans in Pilot mode which I am confident is not the only way to see credits....so I guess what I'm saying is I don't know?.......

• Agree 3

Events Helper · Posted
7 hours ago, Splain said:

There is nothing in the OG post about it, maybe can be modified for next year, but since it doesn't specify........

Events Helper · Posted

battle of braxis is dun!  It was a trial for sure, but on to the next one!  That makes 35 missions done, ya, i am slacking but plan on picking it up over the next 2 days!  I just didn't wanna fall behind in points to @ZeldaFan042 and I wanted to stay ahead of @Nugfish so I can at least get silver 😆.  Let's do this guys, keep it up and beat some more games!!!!!!!

• Like 4

On 1/24/2023 at 1:03 PM, Splain said:
On 1/23/2023 at 2:11 AM, OptOut said:

I beat Space Invaders on normal mode, hopefully that's enough to count for completion!

What is the nature of the new Mode?  Is it just a higher difficulty?  Or new gameplay?

On 1/24/2023 at 12:58 PM, ikk said:

Daffy Duck Starring Duck Dodgers:

GD5VWQwl.jpg

Despite the bit of camera jank I'm really enjoying all these platformers 🙂

Daffy Duck had some fun levels and the expected Looney Tunes humor. I didn't really like the boss battles, they weren't interesting or challenging, they were just annoying.

I'll start Tonic Trouble next, so please add it to the claim sheet.

One of my top desired N64 Carts.  I still love playing the one on Super Nintendo!

8 minutes ago, Jeevan said:
14 minutes ago, PII said:

= not new material + game ending = game finished, yeah?

I'm confused, are you arguing for or against?  

Oh boy, (lol) I'm not sure if "for" means "yeah" or "against" means "neah", or,.... seriously.

Unlocking classic space invaders mode does not provide new game play.  It's just the inclusion of the original framework that the update is based on.  If Super Mario World included an unlock-able addition of Super Mario Bros. 3, you wouldn't have to beat Mario 3 in order to beat Super Mario World, would you?

Asteroids Hyper 64 had an unlock-able version of original Asteroids as well, except it gets unlocked after a couple of levels rather than at the end.  I played it a bit; it had a neat-o vectrex-like look to it.  I doubt it has an ending.  But if you've already eaten pie n ice cream with chocolate syrup and whipped cream, why would you then have to eat a piece of plain pie after the fact?   Hopefully that makes sense...

• Agree 1

Events Helper · Posted
2 minutes ago, PII said:

Oh boy, (lol) I'm not sure if "for" means "yeah" or "against" means "neah", or,.... seriously.

Unlocking classic space invaders mode does not provide new game play.  It's just the inclusion of the original framework that the update is based on.  If Super Mario World included an unlock-able addition of Super Mario Bros. 3, you wouldn't have to beat Mario 3 in order to beat Super Mario World, would you?

Asteroids Hyper 64 had an unlock-able version of original Asteroids as well, except it gets unlocked after a couple of levels rather than at the end.  I played it a bit; it had a neat-o vectrex-like look to it.  I doubt it has an ending.  But if you've already eaten pie n ice cream with chocolate syrup and whipped cream, why would you then have to eat a piece of plain pie after the fact?   Hopefully that makes sense...

Ok, so deciphering this, that means you would consider it complete without having to play an "extreme" mode that is classic space invaders.....Is that correct?  I kinda lean that way, if i wanted to play space invaders og, i would just go play it online in a browser or dl a rom and play it........

Editorials Team · Posted

Ok, so I'm totally full of it:

6vRUusE.png

You can see the credits whenever you want. They totally DON'T roll when you finish any mode. Why did I think that? When you beat Expert mode, you unlock Maniacal mode. When you beat that, you get the same ending plus one more screen:

image.png.7d8c4be305a193b8c54e896616adb207.png

If we don't care about that, then I'm fine calling it beaten on just Normal (or any) difficulty.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

Events Helper · Posted
8 minutes ago, Splain said:

Ok, so I'm totally full of it:

6vRUusE.png

You can see the credits whenever you want. They totally DON'T roll when you finish any mode. Why did I think that? When you beat Expert mode, you unlock Maniacal mode. When you beat that, you get the same ending plus one more screen:

image.png.7d8c4be305a193b8c54e896616adb207.png

If we don't care about that, then I'm fine calling it beaten on just Normal (or any) difficulty.

Sheesh..... ❤️ 

2 minutes ago, OptOut said:

I mean, I'm not doing it again, if that is what you're asking! 

I'm a busy guy, I ain't jumping through hoops for the MAN. 😤

It wasn't a pal exclusive, maybe we shouldn't count it 😏

12 minutes ago, Jeevan said:

"extreme" mode that is classic space invaders

Ok, I was about to come back with, "wait a minute, now it's an ""EXTREME"" version of classic space invaders?...

...but it sounds like things are more or less ironed out w/o answering that question.  Yes, we were definitely on the same page.   ...except for this extreme business.  Not sure what that's all about...