IGNORED

Did GameValueNow and NintendoAge shut down?

austin532

13 minutes ago, Gloves said:

I still have the code for GVN, technically I could run it locally on my computer. 😄

Lol, how did you end up with a version of the code?  As cool as it would be to re-skin and restart it, I assume it's useless after that big fiasco that was eBay changing there terms and the nature of their API. 😕

Administrator · Posted
4 minutes ago, RH said:

Lol, how did you end up with a version of the code?  As cool as it would be to re-skin and restart it, I assume it's useless after that big fiasco that was eBay changing there terms and the nature of their API. 😕

I worked on the site with Hogie before he sold it, and for a short bit with Gocollect after they bought it. 

• Thanks 1
  • Wow! 1

Yeah, GoCollect got what they needed from the NA database and forum datamining. They had that pathetic excuse of a forum up for a little while, that was overrun by trolls, and then they just deleted the whole thing. There's still some archives on Wayback and whatnot. There's also a bizarro NintendoAge.net site that I think was made up from some refugees.

They died a horrible death and thanks to Gloves and others, we can all gather here. This place is approx. 1,000,000,000,000,000 times better, too. 💞 

Bowing Down Waynes World GIF

3 hours ago, Tulpa said:

Yeah, GoCollect got what they needed from the NA database and forum datamining. They had that pathetic excuse of a forum up for a little while, that was overrun by trolls, and then they just deleted the whole thing. There's still some archives on Wayback and whatnot. There's also a bizarro NintendoAge.net site that I think was made up from some refugees.

https://gocollect.com/

This website sucks shit. I tried to access the NES "Price Guide" and others just out of curiosity.... it's unusable at best. 

"Dog shit" would be the best review I could give it.

• Agree 1

I took a break from the site shortly before it all happened, and I didn't feel compelled to watch its downfall either. I'm happy that I missed out on all of that, and got a fresh start here after things fell into place.

The people I didn't get along with don't seem to be here either, which has been a relief to me. I enjoyed NintendoAge a lot, but it could get pretty ugly at times. How many of those times were my fault is obviously something I keep in mind whenever I post here. 😅

• Like 1

The funny thing (depending on how you look at it) about the demise of NintendoAge is that about six months prior to everything happening with NA, the PCEngine-FX forums also burned to the ground for completely different and unrelated reasons.  While I was never super active there, I had been a lurker for years and I watched the collapse happen before my own eyes.  While it all was going down, I remember thinking to myself how that could never happen to a site like NinendoAge.  About six months after thinking that, I was a brand new member at VGS.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

58 minutes ago, TDIRunner said:

The funny thing (depending on how you look at it) about the demise of NintendoAge is that about six months prior to everything happening with NA, the PCEngine-FX forums also burned to the ground for completely different and unrelated reasons.  While I was never super active there, I had been a lurker for years and I watched the collapse happen before my own eyes.  While it all was going down, I remember thinking to myself how that could never happen to a site like NinendoAge.  About six months after thinking that, I was a brand new member at VGS.  

I was a member at pc-engine fx too. A lot of knowledge, but ridiculously toxic

• Agree 2

28 minutes ago, the_wizard_666 said:

Well, I don't feel the need to disappear from VGS for months on end to avoid the negativity.  Guess GoCollect kept that part of NA too 😛

Hopefully that part of NA goes in Lil Jim's vault! VGS is a lot of things but it's undoubtedly different than NA in all the best ways. 

NA is like the girl you date just before you meet the girl you end up marrying. I'm not mad that I was a part of NA for so long but after being on VGS, there's just desire to go back. 

Maybe it comes with the size of the user base and the anonymity of a form that brings out dirt bags, but w.e it is VGS is in a sweet spot. Slow activity with quality posts and overall meaning interaction. Maybe just missing the dank database?

• Agree 1

56 minutes ago, darkchylde28 said:

Nah, if this were like NA, you'd just get shadow banned or banned outright, lol!

Would you believe I never got so much as a warning there?  Like I was there so long that my shit was tolerated, but a noob wouldn't be.  I definitely wasn't a fan of how some shit was handled there once Dain pretty much checked out.  

• Like 1

Administrator · Posted
14 minutes ago, the_wizard_666 said:

That's the only downside to the fall of NA.  And the only part I wish we could resurrect.

It was honestly outdated, not really great data

When you say resurrect, do you mean you'd be providing a lot of data for it? Or do you wish it existed again in its previous state?

Cuz like I could technically put something up, but people would need to submit significant amounts of data to it, and IMO there are already resources out there that are complete "enough" without subjective data in them.