IGNORED

Did GameValueNow and NintendoAge shut down?

austin532

Nintendo Age database ruled. The Forums... I think we can just say this place is much better. Besides the blatant racism/sexism/homophobia etc that I see from time to time here, it's much better than NA. Granted, I only lurked and rarely posted on NA but I feel much more engaged here. But I definitely remember reading shit at times, arguments and whatnot, and shaking my head thinking those people were a bunch of assholes. 

Only thing I miss is the database/checklist etc.

Also, people are talking about still using gamevaluenow to at least track collection. I cannot get the site to load. Is it still active? I thought it was totally kaput.

• Agree 3

Administrator · Posted
1 hour ago, CodysGameRoom said:

Also, people are talking about still using gamevaluenow to at least track collection. I cannot get the site to load. Is it still active? I thought it was totally kaput.

The collection tracking tool is still online; it's a separately hosted website so they must have just not taken it down: GameValueNow - Video Game Collection Tracker

18 minutes ago, Gloves said:

The collection tracking tool is still online; it's a separately hosted website so they must have just not taken it down: GameValueNow - Video Game Collection Tracker

Oh nice! I missed adding the last months worth of shit though so I'm probably gonna drop it. I made a 2023 resolution to get all my stuff catalogged into personal spreadsheets anyway

I always just go to collection.GameValueNow.com I would never know if the main site was down or not. Although the main reason I catalogue games there is to get an idea of cost and who knows how accurate that is anymore. Maybe I’ll just stick to my excel sheet (I update both when I get new stuff)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, a3quit4s said:

I always just go to collection.GameValueNow.com I would never know if the main site was down or not. Although the main reason I catalogue games there is to get an idea of cost and who knows how accurate that is anymore. Maybe I’ll just stick to my excel sheet (I update both when I get new stuff)

I can't be bothered to worry about valuation, although it was nice seeing it on GVN for a while, but I just want to have a fully comprehensive list of everything I have. No one database has that ability so I just need to do my own finally. I just finished catalogging my comics with a Google Sheet and I'm really pleased with the outcome.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, CodysGameRoom said:

I can't be bothered to worry about valuation, although it was nice seeing it on GVN for a while, but I just want to have a fully comprehensive list of everything I have. No one database has that ability so I just need to do my own finally. I just finished catalogging my comics with a Google Sheet and I'm really pleased with the outcome.

Yeah my excel is really basic. Each system has its own tab and I basically just list out the name. Sometimes I’ll put notes in parenthesis next to them but that’s really it. One sheet has all my console hardware and another has handheld console hardware. Since I don’t really collect handheld all systems and titles are on one sheet. Nice and easy

• Like 1

8 hours ago, OptOut said:

I'd love to know how much money those gocollect clowns wasted on nuking NA and GVN...

Goddamn Jeff. 😒

You say damn Jeff, I say praise Gloves.  Even if NA had managed to survive somehow, most likely in admins'/mods' hands, it still would have had a ton of baggage and not been half the place that VGS has become thanks to its fresh start, better atmosphere, and essentially being assembled out of the best and most well working bits of the NA that was.  While I wouldn't wish what Jeff brought down upon any website, I'm far less upset about what happened to NA than I am happy with what VGS has done when it took its place.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

1 minute ago, Tanooki said:

Loss of database aside, in every way, other than maybe the highly more active sales/trade area if you're into that, this is an improvement, a big improvement.

I completely agree.  It sucks when you're selling stuff, but as far as why I visit - to talk about my hobby with like minded individuals - VGS can't be beat.

• Agree 1

Exactly.  If it were 5 years ago or something, I'd feel more bad about the slow burn of the items area for sale/trade, but I largely don't care now.  I'm liking this largely buy local stuff, works better for me.  Sure the supply is very much limited compared to what NA pushed or ebay/mercari, but it's far less costly in finance and waste of space on stuff I'd likely never finish or barely use due to too much supply. 🙂

Honestly, my biggest issue with NA was the hyperfocus on economics.  Barely anyone posted in threads about playing the games.  Don't get me wrong, there's definitely a place and a need for such things, but when Price Check is the most active section of the board, its really not a fun place to be.

• Agree 1