IGNORED

Did GameValueNow and NintendoAge shut down?

austin532

Just now, Gloves said:

It was honestly outdated, not really great data

When you say resurrect, do you mean you'd be providing a lot of data for it? Or do you wish it existed again in its previous state?

Cuz like I could technically put something up, but people would need to submit significant amounts of data to it, and IMO there are already resources out there that are complete "enough" without subjective data in them.

I'm not sure how much of the database was outdated vs how much was never fully finished or updated, but as a resource it was pretty much unmatched.  I still can't find info elsewhere on a lot of the systems that were documented, so I definitely wish the database as it was were still around.  And actively maintained.

Administrator · Posted
6 minutes ago, the_wizard_666 said:

I'm not sure how much of the database was outdated vs how much was never fully finished or updated, but as a resource it was pretty much unmatched.  I still can't find info elsewhere on a lot of the systems that were documented, so I definitely wish the database as it was were still around.  And actively maintained.

Unmatched how exactly? Like, can you pinpoint for me what exactly was unique about it in particular?

4 minutes ago, Gloves said:

Unmatched how exactly? Like, can you pinpoint for me what exactly was unique about it in particular?

The size, scope, etc.  It covered boxes and manuals instead of just game rarity.  It had all regions covered.  It had variants out the wazoo.  Full manual scans.  And the collection tool on top of it all.  And all that data in one place rather than having to scour the dark corners of the internet.  Honestly, the only knock against it was that it didn't cover all consoles.  But since between the three Ages that Dain owned, it covered an absolute shitton of what's out there.

That said, maybe someone out there can do better? I'd gladly sacrifice the collection tool for a comprehensive database like that, but I'm absolutely the worst guy to be in charge of something like that, seeing as I almost never stick to a project long enough to see it to completion.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, jonebone said:

All I can say is thank goodness JJGames held out and didn't sell PriceCharting.  That's the thing to be happy about here.

Yeah, at least there's one resource that survived.  Had he caved, the best we'd have left is RarityGuide, and that one has never been good 😆 

The 2019 NA weekly contest threads are completely gone now.  Not even archived AFAIK. And many weekly contest threads that have been archived are missing pages. https://archive.nes.science/nintendoage-forums/nintendoage.com/forum/messageview0d82.html?catid=31&threadid=168510 Not to mention all the other NA content that is gone and that has never been archived. Thanks GoCollect!

Edited by mbd39

16 hours ago, Tulpa said:

All the horror stories about that forum kept me away.

That place pce-fx forum it on a sliding scale of trolls, stalkers, psychopaths and douchebags sits square between NintendoAge at its worse, and then the defacto pit over at the neo-geo forum which is a real shame.

8 hours ago, jonebone said:

All I can say is thank goodness JJGames held out and didn't sell PriceCharting.  That's the thing to be happy about here.

Bingo. That would've thrown things into a much worse state of disarray. As for NintendoAge, I miss the domain name, post history, and some users that didn't make the switchover for sure. I never really experienced a lot of toxic behaviour there, personally. 

Digitpress forum had a rarity guide too, but it was probably even more outdated. That forum used to be a lot more active a decade ago, but most users were also on AtariAge too, so it seemed to start looking like a second favorite board. I bought and sold so much stuff on that forum though and Hogie was on there too. I probably bought stuff from him when he was selling things off.

5 hours ago, TheGameCollector said:

Digitpress forum had a rarity guide too, but it was probably even more outdated. That forum used to be a lot more active a decade ago, but most users were also on AtariAge too, so it seemed to start looking like a second favorite board. I bought and sold so much stuff on that forum though and Hogie was on there too. I probably bought stuff from him when he was selling things off.

DPs guide is a snapshot of the early 2000s.  It's been out of date for that long.

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, the_wizard_666 said:

DPs guide is a snapshot of the early 2000s.  It's been out of date for that long.

Them's the good old days. I first got into collecting around 2005 and I printed that whole guide up, threw it in a binder, and would take it with me whenever I went out into the wild.

• Like 2

On 12/21/2022 at 1:44 PM, Gloves said:

I agree with @the_wizard_666 on this one. It's sort of like the Famiclone software lists I've made, no matter how old or outdated they get, they'll always be above the rest for what they indeed did.

Dain basically took the Atari Age formula and applied it to three other great machines, tons of high quality scans, dates, etc. In premise it's just a bit of grunt work, but actually doing it abd having the team / resources to create it is a different story. 

1 hour ago, Aguy said:

Them's the good old days. I first got into collecting around 2005 and I printed that whole guide up, threw it in a binder, and would take it with me whenever I went out into the wild.

You're lucky.  The one I printed up was Etler's list.  Passed on some really rare shit back then in favor of much more common fare because Etler said it was rare.

• Agree 1

45 minutes ago, the_wizard_666 said:

You're lucky.  The one I printed up was Etler's list.  Passed on some really rare shit back then in favor of much more common fare because Etler said it was rare.

Gotta track down those Aladdin Deck Enhancer games! 

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, B.A. said:

Gotta track down those Aladdin Deck Enhancer games! 

Hey, those were legitimately rare for a long while, until someome stumbled upon the rest of the shipping container that QVC never unpacked and apparently randomly sold off to someone.  These days you can still get a sealed Aladdin and full set of sealed games for the same price you could when they were first discovered, lol!  What doesn't make any sense to me is the tractor trailer full of Caltron 6-in-1 carts that were someone deemed more valuable when, in fact, there were more of those produced, found, and available.  🤷

1 hour ago, darkchylde28 said:

Hey, those were legitimately rare for a long while, until someome stumbled upon the rest of the shipping container that QVC never unpacked and apparently randomly sold off to someone.  These days you can still get a sealed Aladdin and full set of sealed games for the same price you could when they were first discovered, lol!  What doesn't make any sense to me is the tractor trailer full of Caltron 6-in-1 carts that were someone deemed more valuable when, in fact, there were more of those produced, found, and available.  🤷

Caltron was legit rare before a load showed up something like 10 years ago.  It was the last of what we called the "big 7," though it's long since lost that title.  The other 6 though, they're still right up there.

On 12/21/2022 at 12:38 PM, Quaze said:

Bingo. That would've thrown things into a much worse state of disarray. As for NintendoAge, I miss the domain name, post history, and some users that didn't make the switchover for sure. I never really experienced a lot of toxic behaviour there, personally. 

I never understood what people meant when claiming NA was toxic or had issues or whatever. I was on there daily from 2011-end and didn’t see anything that would cause me to call out a site for. Maybe it’s just I didn’t go into threads that these things happened in. I also never received any kind of warning/reprimand/ban.

Sure there was maybe a handful of people that were annoying to me but that’s what the block button was for. If the barometer for toxic is needing to block some people then this place would qualify too ass I have 2 people on my block list here as well.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, LeatherRebel5150 said:

I never understood what people meant when claiming NA was toxic or had issues or whatever. I was on there daily from 2011-end and didn’t see anything that would cause me to call out a site for. Maybe it’s just I didn’t go into threads that these things happened in. I also never received any kind of warning/reprimand/ban.

Sure there was maybe a handful of people that were annoying to me but that’s what the block button was for. If the barometer for toxic is needing to block some people then this place would qualify too ass I have 2 people on my block list here as well.

I think it’s being grossly exaggerated in hindsight, I wouldn’t say NA came within 100 miles of qualifying as a “toxic” environment. I would’ve called it a “pleasant/welcoming/friendly” online environment based on my years of experience there. Unless I REALLY wasn’t visiting the threads where all this was going on, I’d say we’re looking at a bit of sensationalized revisionist history.

• Agree 1

22 hours ago, the_wizard_666 said:

i remember him ranking wallstreet kid as like a legit rare game.   in fact, i just looked up the list and see that he ranks stadium events and wallstreet kid as the same.  imagine finding both stadium events and wallstreet kid at the same time, but opting to go with wallstreet kid instead of the sports title because of his guide.  but his guide is from 97, so times were different.  i'm assuming eBay wasn't as popular.  

where did the whole association between rarity and video games come from? was it with atari collecting?  i have to laugh how "rare" is being brought into current gen discussions yet ebay clearly shows most videos games are far from rare.

Editorials Team · Posted
43 minutes ago, Quaze said:

I think it’s being grossly exaggerated in hindsight, I wouldn’t say NA came within 100 miles of qualifying as a “toxic” environment. I would’ve called it a “pleasant/welcoming/friendly” online environment based on my years of experience there. Unless I REALLY wasn’t visiting the threads where all this was going on, I’d say we’re looking at a bit of sensationalized revisionist history.

I'd say it was certainly "elitist" in many senses.  And hostile towards certain individuals (ie Pat).

But yeah, I would agree that most of the individuals that felt they were ran off made their own beds with their own behavior.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Disagree 2

Nah it was toxic, in a hive mind style of way and shades of elitism too.  You either fell in with the cliques there or you eventually had problems.  And some things, because of clear ass kissing, like the utter brown nosing of VGA in its earlier years, really split people along lines.  Some people got utterly banned for dumping on VGA or showing legit issues with it.  Others who didn't care for all the speculation, price gouging, and other abuses and called it out would get nailed for it at certain levels.  I remember a laundry list of generalized things to a few specifics, but is it really the time to be doing this or digging up old crap from a place that had some serious rot from within that got screwed and dunked by a greedy simp who runs gocollect?

• Like 3
  • Agree 1