IGNORED

Favorite NES game

I can't remember if on NA there was a thread on this, but I was watching something about Maniac Mansion and thought, geez I wonder how many other people would say Maniac Mansion was their favorite NES game.  Then it got me thinking what other off-beat games might be peoples favorites.  So if its SMB or Legend of Zelda, don't be shy to say it.  No other better place to ask than this forum of Nintendo geeks, esp with a lot of us being very familiar with the library.  You're #1 is not the "BEST", but what you love the most, for any reason, nostalgia, game play etc.

So yeah, Maniac Mansion for me.  Others that are close would also be Zombie Nation, Mr. Gimmick, Dick Tracy and SMB 1 of course.

The weirder the better.

• Like 1

At this point, I don't even know.  SMB3 is a true classic amongst classics.  But I still enjoy throwing in Batman and I've enjoyed a quick play off and on since I first picked it up as a kid.  Then there's games like Battletoads which I first played because of last years NES competition.  Wow, I only got about 1/3rd of the way through the game but it was loads of fun.

I don't know.  I could pick a different game just about any day of the week depending on how I feel in the moment.

I went into Toys 'R Us with my parents on my birthday in 1989 and promptly told the employee in the video game section that I wanted Wonder Boy for my Nintendo.  He handed me a light green card that had the words "Hudson's Adventure Island" printed on the front of it and told me it was the same game.  I was skeptical at first, but I've been in love with the game - and it's pudgy little non-stop-running topless protagonist - ever since...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dr. Morbis said:

I went into Toys 'R Us with my parents on my birthday in 1989 and promptly told the employee in the video game section that I wanted Wonder Boy for my Nintendo.  He handed me a light green card that had the words "Hudson's Adventure Island" printed on the front of it and told me it was the same game.  I was skeptical at first, but I've been in love with the game - and it's pudgy little non-stop-running topless protagonist - ever since...

Interesting.  I had kind of a similar story with Maniac Mansion.  Its the ONLY game I remember getting.  It was after a baseball game I played, my sisters and mom (I think) were asleep in the van.  For whatever reason I got to pick a Nintendo game, and for NO reason I could think of, I choose Maniac Mansion.  Didnt know a thing about the game or what it was, nothing.  Just from playing it a billion times I figured out every quirk in it.

Really surprised how many 'basic' games people are saying that those are their favorites.  They're all great games, I was expecting some more uncommon ones.  The night is still young I suppose.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, guitarzombie said:

Really surprised how many 'basic' games people are saying that those are their favorites.  They're all great games, I was expecting some more uncommon ones.  The night is still young I suppose.

Start a new thread: "Favorite Off-Beat NES Game"  or  "Favorite Obscure NES Game"  or just alter this thread: No Mario, Zelda, Megaman, Castlevania, Metroid, Final Fantasy, Mike Tyson's Punchout, Kirby, Metal Gear, TMNT, Ninja Gaiden, Duck Tales, Battletoads, Contra, Double Dragon Warrior.... NONE A THAT!

Would be a great topic.  Personally I've got tons of off-beat NES favs.  Just so happens that if I have to pick one game to single out as my fav I gotta go with something that happens to be pretty well known and loved.

EDIT: or just have everyone pick one of each for this thread, like: pick your fav common and then make sure to pick your fav offbeat too...

Edited by PII
  • Agree 2

Events Team · Posted

My all-time favorites is Mega Man 2.  Probably no secret around these parts.

I never owned a Mega Man game until I was in highschool.  In the day, I knew a kid that had MM2; it was in our regular rotation but I was terrible at it.  Eventually was able to make it to the Wily levels but I didn't beat it till I got a cheap copy as a teenager.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, PII said:

Start a new thread: "Favorite Off-Beat NES Game"  or  "Favorite Obscure NES Game"  or just alter this thread: No Mario, Zelda, Megaman, Castlevania, Metroid, Final Fantasy, Mike Tyson's Punchout, Kirby, Metal Gear, TMNT, Ninja Gaiden, Duck Tales, Battletoads, Contra, Double Dragon Warrior.... NONE A THAT!

Would be a great topic.  Personally I've got tons of off-beat NES favs.  Just so happens that if I have to pick one game to single out as my fav I gotta go with something that happens to be pretty well known and loved.

EDIT: or just have everyone pick one of each for this thread, like: pick your fav common and then make sure to pick your fav offbeat too...

Nah, thats not that same, because theres a catch to it.  I wanted to know what peoples #1 favorite NES games were, from people really familiar with the library and how many are unusual vs. common.  I thought there would be more unusual ones so I guess IM the strange one haha

4 minutes ago, guitarzombie said:

Nah, thats not that same, because theres a catch to it.  I wanted to know what peoples #1 favorite NES games were, from people really familiar with the library and how many are unusual vs. common.  I thought there would be more unusual ones so I guess IM the strange one haha

I understand.  Seems like a battle that will require either a lot of patience or creative persistence though.  Most people's fav is going to be something they had as a child and the brunt of any childhood collection is going to be mostly common games...

Without question, Mega Man 2.  Despite what the naysayers mumble, I submit that it's the best rounded of all of the Mega Man games released to date in terms of challenge vs fun as well as overall roster of robot masters and powers.  I've played through and beaten all of the NES Mega Man titles, but #2 is the only one that I come back to consistently, and typically play all the way through every time it gets loaded up.

• Eyeroll 1

Since I don't actually get to play too many NES games that much nowadays, I'll go with the one with the most memories from childhood: RBI Baseball.

I played it a ton with my best friend, we even had rules like you couldn't be the AL team because Brett Saberhagen's slider was basically unhittable for the first 3 innings.

I brought it to college and had a Japanese roommate who absolutely humbled me with his skills. I still remember bringing out the cart and getting destroyed with the 10 run rule.

Edited by DK
  • Like 2

River City Ransom is both my favorite NES game and the NES game that means the most to me. One night, my brother snuck in my room and stole my childhood cart while I was sleeping. There were fights for years where "River City Ransom" was brought up until mom finally caved and bought me another one. Most things aren't worth fighting for, but for whatever reason, River City Ransom was that for kid me.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

If you feel like playing through Adventure Island again, it's still on the board for the complete every NES game thread.