IGNORED

Favorite NES game

I mean . . . I could talk myself into lots of answers.  I was never really a big Mario, Mega Man, or Castlevania fan, but LoZ and Metroid are definitely candiates.

In the next tier would be some others that many would consider classics like Tetris, Bionic Commando, Mike Tysons Punch Out, Adventures of Lolo, 1943, and Contra

Then I might dip into the sports games and would mention things like Tecmo Bowl, Super Tecmo Bowl, RBI Baseball, Baseball Stars, and Pro Wrestling.

For some obscure games that are deserving, I could go with Uforia which is a PAL exclusive, or maybe North and South.

For some that probably shouldn't really be considered, but I absolutely love - Ice Hockey, RC Pro AM, Anticipation, 1942, and Galaga.

A real odd ball answer might be Pirates! which is probably my favorite game of all time, but NOT on the NES.

I'll place Defender II as #1 for the intent of this thread. When I first got to know it - and this happened when I was an adult - it really impressed me with the sparse environment, isolation and desolation, challenge of controls, and amazing sound design that made so much use of the oscillators of its original time. You really can't get away anything that sparse and intense and analog-noisy now, but it always struck me as incredible. The original arcade game is even better with its unique controls, but the NES version was my introduction to the genius of Eugene Jarvis's Defender, an incredible game of simple play and difficult to master on every platform where it has appeared, which are myriad.

It's not my FAVORITE - that's most probably Zelda II - but I could see it in the top 5. And if you're looking for a path less taken, in my book Defender's a contender for sure.

• Like 1

Ok, I see some more interesting pics coming out.  If I was going by what I played as a kid, after Maniac Mansion it was probably RBI Baseball 3.  But I can't put it any higher because I dont even really care that much to own it anymore.

13 hours ago, Link said:

It's not my FAVORITE - that's most probably Zelda II - but I could see it in the top 5. And if you're looking for a path less taken, in my book Defender's a contender for sure.

I wasn't looking for people to give me deliberately weird games to pick, just what they liked the most, period.  As basic or abstract as it was.  I was curious more how many peoples here #1 no question game wasn't something particularly common, like mine.

• Like 1

easiest answer ever: the Legend of Zelda. 

if i had grown up with Metroid (i didn't play it until many years later), it would give Zelda a run for its money. but i didn't, so Zelda takes the crown.

to choose from non-cliche answers (going off @PII's list), i would go with either Alfred Chicken or Milon's Secret Castle.