IGNORED

Unfortunate that people listen to this...

I listen to their podcast, don’t agree with a lot of what they say or care about other stuff (movie talk) but they do keep the info flowing for things like the Caleco Chameleon and Intellivision Amico. It’s entertaining to here them talk about those dumpster fires. Ive never really seen anything wrong with Ian. He’s just a cynical/pessimistic guy. I am too and some people don’t like that. Pat though, definitely seems like he has some issues. He has a weird obsession with his childhood crap and I get that video games are drenched in childhood nostalgia, but he seems to be way to obsessed with negative childhood experiences to the point where it gets weird. Definitely seems like something someone would go to therapy for. He also seems like a guy that gets overly sensitive about person to person interactions that most would brush off. He seems to think he is being “disrespected” a lot (look at his reaction to a Atari? prototype being sold recently that he “consulted” on and was mad the store dis not inform him that they sold their property in a manner they chose) That focus on “respect” is something my mother was obsessed with when her borderline personality disorder was in full swing. So Im betting something similar is going on with Pat there. 

That all being said, I still listen and enjoy the podcast well enough

Edited by LeatherRebel5150
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

Man, I feel like I've warped into 2014 with this thread. Yeah, Ian and Pat had a lot of controversial takes on their podcast over the years. This was hashed and rehashed on NA for years. I'm sure you dig into the decade they've done this you'll find more lukewarm takes.

And they're not alone. I bet if you dug into The Game Grumps or My Life in Gaming there's some thing they've said that's enraging when Obama was president.

Can we be Elsa and let it go?

• Haha 1

i will occasionally check out Pat & Ian podcast snippets that get posted to YouTube (i see i'm not alone by the others that have posted links). It's not something that i will go out of my way for, or dedicate a lot of time to, but it's usually not bad. I have really appreciated their updates on the Intellivision Amico "system". i enjoy them losing their minds over what was an obvious scam from early on, but people just kept falling for. 

Ian just burned himself out on gaming retail. Once you start being annoyed by the little things, it is damn near impossible to remove those negative connotations without a full on reset. IMO that's where a lot of his pessimistic takes come from. How many times can you deal with customers that only want MINTY FRESH labels before you just roll your eyes? How many times can you hear "but it's only $XX on eBay" / "i can get $XX for it on eBay" before you begin to loathe even having those conversations? For Ian, it seems like he had to totally distance himself from a lot of that so that he could continue to enjoy gaming. i totally get that. i put in more than my share of retail time, and it (helped) turn me into a cynical dude too.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Ankos said:

Sure. However, there were people asking about who Pat and Ian were though, so it would've felt wrong to not give them some sort of an answer on that

That I have no problem with. It's just that most of this thread was done to death on NA years ago.

Are we going to resurrect the Tim Atwood controversy next?

• Like 1
  • Wow! 1

Ian worked game store retail for 15 years, I think he earned the right to shit all over his former customers. I'm glad it sounds like Ian is doing something now he really likes.

15 hours ago, LeatherRebel5150 said:

Pat though, definitely seems like he has some issues. He has a weird obsession with his childhood crap and I get that video games are drenched in childhood nostalgia, but he seems to be way to obsessed with negative childhood experiences to the point where it gets weird.

I like Pat's show, but my eyes roll hard whenever he brings up a childhood story of "thick but quick Pat".

• Like 2

I been a regular listener a long ass time. I think @LeatherRebel5150 sum'd Pat pretty well actually. He has his issues though it doesn't stop him being out there which I respect. I also have learned, both through work and just my general passions, that every single news type outlet gets most shit wrong. It's annoying but I just take things generally as opinion rather than news. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Link said:

I can't stand any youtuber or podcast. Don't need to listen to a nobody talk about nothing for 5 minutes, let alone 20 or 30. So the video game related ones are no better or worse. 

There's my "hot take"

You must be a riot to try to talk to or have a conversation with at a party, then, lol.

• Haha 2
  • Eyeroll 1

3 hours ago, Link said:

I can't stand any youtuber or podcast. Don't need to listen to a nobody talk about nothing for 5 minutes, let alone 20 or 30. So the video game related ones are no better or worse. 

There's my "hot take"

There’s actually a lot of great nobodies doing fantastic podcasts mostly for free of Patreon support (not compulsory).

I listen to a lot of great Japanese learning podcasts where they talk in simpler sentences to help improve my listening. Also listen to a fascinating podcast about cyber crime called darker diaries.

I wouldn’t be so quick to dismiss some podcasters and YouTubers.

• Agree 1

Administrator · Posted

I used to do Youtube, primarily with the goal of getting better at speaking in general. I found it very helpful as a learning tool - I now know a decent amount of video editing, and I can compose myself far better for public and especially instructional speaking. Mind you I saw it as a tool, a means to an end, and it served that specific purpose well - I never once thought "gotta get my numbers up!" or anything like that.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Link said:

Podcasts and personal interaction are very different things.

Except that's not how you approached your particular "hot take."

10 hours ago, Link said:

I can't stand any youtuber or podcast.

Ok, great, so I guess you just specifically don't like folks based on what they do?  I mean, most YouTubers and Podcasters I pay any attention to do that sort of thing solely as a hobby, and solely about things they're passionate about.  If you're only exposing yourself to people in that sphere who are acting like attention whores, you really ought to widen your horizons.  Ever listened to a book on tape?  Folks having an interesting discussion on the radio?  Good YouTubers and Podcasters are putting out that same sort of experience all the time.

10 hours ago, Link said:

Don't need to listen to a nobody talk about nothing for 5 minutes, let alone 20 or 30.

If you aren't automatically rolling your eyes and turning your ears off based on what folks do, then my joke holds, as the bulk of people at any good party that I've ever attended start out as "nobodies" with many talking about "nothing," at least to start.  Small talk, it's how conversations start among people who aren't familiar with one another.  Another good example of this sort of situation would be school.  You never once started out just dutifully listening to a lecture, not caring, then started really tuning in and engaging?  With 12-16 years of education for most folks, it's hard to imagine that not happening at least once, if not several times.

If you just don't like "gotcha" type content creators in that space, say so.  If you just don't care for the format, say that.  But the statement(s) you threw out there just don't paint your ability to take in really any sort of new material/experience/etc. in a great light, as every author, orator, band, actor, etc. starts off as a "nobody" doing something at least some consider "nothing" until one gives them a chance.

JFC 🙄 I'm just talking shit because every podcast or youtube personality I've ever heard either bores or annoys me. TED talks, talk shows, and especially classes at school or seminars are not the same thing at all. And no I don't listen to audio books. I tried some and hated them. Accept that not everybody receives media or information in the same way as you.

How many parties have you been to in the past week?

Big Pat and Ian fan here. I listen to their podcast every week, and have for years. Most of the criticisms against them are ill-informed or flat out wrong. I get not liking their style, opinions, etc, and not wanting to listen to them talk or their opinions. Their opinions don't mean shit. I just listen to the podcast because I enjoy it. But they are just people. But I wanted to touch on a few points since most of the people in this thread mentioned they don't listen or only have checked out a video here and there.

First, Ian doesn't hate collectors, or game collecting. He's not hypocritical in any way. He has discussed numerous times throughout the podcast how he enjoyed working in the game store. If you've never worked retail than maybe you don't understand annoying customers. I worked in a used cd/dvd/video game shop for almost 9 years. I loved the job. And there were some customers who were the WORST. It's possible to criticize jerk-hole customers and still like the hobby/the job/whatever. 

Another thing that bugs me is this whole Pat/NA beef. Someone earlier hit the nail on the head, I think a few gatekeepers on the old NA irked Pat and he mentioned it because he has a platform and there ya go. Pat has also mentioned numerous times how NA was a great source for information and he was sad to see that go. He has also mentioned VGS in a positive light, saying he hasn't spent much time here but it seemed to be a nice and much more welcoming community than NA. Which, in my opinion is also true. 

I will say that Pat and Ian do not bullshit. They have no reason to do so. If a topic is discussed they will tell you how they feel. I'd say if you think Ian generally seems unhappy, you don't really have the whole picture. That said, he's also has some serious health issues over the past few years, which anyone who has can tell you, is upsetting. But to call it a lack of self awareness, I just don't buy it. Not if you've listened to the podcast. 

Anyway, not trying to come to the rescue of these dudes, lord knows they are constantly criticized and can handle it, I just wanted to throw my two cents in. 

• Like 4
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, CodysGameRoom said:

First, Ian doesn't hate collectors, or game collecting. He's not hypocritical in any way. He has discussed numerous times throughout the podcast how he enjoyed working in the game store. If you've never worked retail than maybe you don't understand annoying customers. I worked in a used cd/dvd/video game shop for almost 9 years. I loved the job. And there were some customers who were the WORST. It's possible to criticize jerk-hole customers and still like the hobby/the job/whatever. 

100% agree on this. Did a stint in retail, and more recently a 12-year stint at a for-profit school. Was fortunate to enjoy all the jobs I've ever had, but as you said, some customers are just horrid.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Not gonna listen to this crap, but but the paraphrased argument sounds sensible. Anyone who does collect games only to keep them on a shelf should find a different subject to vacuum the secondhand market for, rather than hogging the pond I'm drinking from. It's one of the primary reasons prices have gone as nuts as they have in recent years.

As for working in retail, I doubt anyone who has tried that could say with a straight face that customers aren't frequently morons 😛 

Edited by Sumez
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, CodysGameRoom said:

He has also mentioned VGS in a positive light, saying he hasn't spent much time here but it seemed to be a nice and much more welcoming community than NA. Which, in my opinion is also true. 

This is absolutely true as well. People who were hanging around NA all the time probably didn't see it, but anyone else on the internet pretty much agrees on it - NA frequently came across like a walled-off circle jerk and a massive echo chamber, way more biased towards certain aspects of the hobby than VGS has ever been. I'm sure it was a lot of fun for people who were into that exact niche, but you can't really fault people for feeling the community was unapproachable.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ankos said:

I guess that is not too surprising. As far as selling games goes that must be the epitome of selling them to be played, not collected. I'm guessing Taiwan is too humid to do that?

Russia seems to have gotten a lot of later stuff, most of the stuff from Taiwan is near 1:1 quality, so the cases wouldn't have broken very often.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Sumez said:

Not gonna listen to this crap, but but the paraphrased argument sounds sensible. Anyone who does collect games only to keep them on a shelf should find a different subject to vacuum the secondhand market for, rather than hogging the pond I'm drinking from. It's one of the primary reasons prices have gone as nuts as they have in recent years.

As for working in retail, I doubt anyone who has tried that could say with a straight face that customers aren't frequently morons 😛 

Sounds like your problem is with capitalism, not shelf collectors 🤣🤣🤣🤣