IGNORED

Unfortunate that people listen to this...

5 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I actually read my comics. I feel like a monster.

You should’ve seen the look on the cashier’s face when I spent my 1893-S Morgan dollar on something at its face value. He looked at me like I was the idiot. No sir, I’m not a shelf collector. I buy coins that I want to spend.

• Love 1
  • Agree 1

13 minutes ago, Strange said:

You should’ve seen the look on the cashier’s face when I spent my 1893-S Morgan dollar on something at its face value. He looked at me like I was the idiot. No sir, I’m not a shelf collector. I buy coins that I want to spend.

You'll get that kind of reaction when you go to McDonald's. I mean, have those cashiers ever tried to eat money? It tastes terrible!

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, AirVillain said:

For example, if I worked at a game store I wouldn't be UPSET with these people to the point of shitting all over them/becoming jaded about different collectors, I would embrace their quirkiness as somewhat of an "collecting alternate universe" to my own. 

Eh, this is nonsense dude. I worked in a used CD/DVD/Video game store for 8.5 years.... I am pretty sure Ian worked at Luna longer than that. There are absolutely repeat customers who were annoying as fuck and deserved to be shit on, lol. Maybe if you haven't worked retail, or you're a really really nice guy, you don't get that, but, I feel like most people do. 

I can't speak for Ian. But when I worked there, I loved about 15% of my customers, was cool with about the other 75%. That leaves 10%. Those mother fuckers were the worst. Coming in twice a week, sometimes not buying anything at all, rattling off about things that they don't actually know about or don't know what they are talking about, refusing to leave, while I have a large amount of work to do. Or buying something, then returning it, over and over. and over. Or asking to see something from the case, then not buying it. That's fine actually. But then 4 days later, asking to see it again... and then not buying it. How many times do you have to look?

My point is, every retail job comes with those shitty customers. They are worth bitching about. They deserve it. Anyone who's worked retail (and food service) knows this.

• Like 4
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, CodysGameRoom said:

Eh, this is nonsense dude. I worked in a used CD/DVD/Video game store for 8.5 years.... I am pretty sure Ian worked at Luna longer than that. There are absolutely repeat customers who were annoying as fuck and deserved to be shit on, lol. Maybe if you haven't worked retail, or you're a really really nice guy, you don't get that, but, I feel like most people do. 

I can't speak for Ian. But when I worked there, I loved about 15% of my customers, was cool with about the other 75%. That leaves 10%. Those mother fuckers were the worst. Coming in twice a week, sometimes not buying anything at all, rattling off about things that they don't actually know about or don't know what they are talking about, refusing to leave, while I have a large amount of work to do. Or buying something, then returning it, over and over. and over. Or asking to see something from the case, then not buying it. That's fine actually. But then 4 days later, asking to see it again... and then not buying it. How many times do you have to look?

My point is, every retail job comes with those shitty customers. They are worth bitching about. They deserve it. Anyone who's worked retail (and food service) knows this.

Haha, it's not nonsense.... and I think we're actually talking about two different things. I'll try to clarify.

First of all, I HAVE worked retail jobs as well. Nothing in any collecting community, but some that have VERY picky customers (furniture) and some with expensive items AND picky customers (granite countertops), along with various others.

So yes I 100% agree, of course customers can be annoying but that's not what I'm talking about.

I'm talking about Ian's hypocritical and condescending approach to "shelf collectors".

Prompted by Pat, Ian answers the question about how working in the game store affected his collecting habits, to where he goes into the deal about "Shelf Collectors", a term he came up with by the way! (Aside, the self indulgent anecdotal comments and data are hilarious to me.... he came up with that term himself, and he also knows all the sales stats from the game store for 15 years 🙄)

I mean, he states right in the video that "of course he's a collector" but he doesn't like collectors who "don't use the item for its intended purpose." Hahaha.... that's ALL of us! That's HIMSELF too in many ways.

As Strange pointed out with the stamp example, it's like saying you're only a REAL stamp collector if you USE the stamps and put them on letters to people.

To be clear, I'm being forced to answer back and give you my opinion here, I'm not beating a dead horse about the guy.... 😅

• Eyeroll 2
  • Disagree 1

Honestly I feel like he was more talking about people that buy a bunch of stuff just to "have the most" or to "show it off", as an ego boost or to try to "buy" credibility. A few established youtubers shot their videos in front of some game shelves and now everyone that wants to talk about games on yt gives off the impression that they HAVE to have a wall of stuff to to be taken seriously. I've seen it far too much IRL in the toy collecting community.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Youtube has some neat functionality so you don't see a user's content. Being mad at someone who makes content online is a waste of your time. Time you can effectively use to make a sandwich or scream at the squirrels chewing through the top of your garbage can in order to get to the delicous garbage.

Screenshot_20221026-080136_YouTube.jpg.1305b6fe13d5e2fed480cdbf7a4d4714.jpg

Screenshot_20221026-080035_YouTube.thumb.jpg.b34346c3248cb4613842f9b1b370550b.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, SNESNESCUBE64 said:

Youtube has some neat functionality so you don't see a user's content. Being mad at someone who makes content online is a waste of your time. Time you can effectively use to make a sandwich or scream at the squirrels chewing through the top of your garbage can in order to get to the delicous garbage.

Screenshot_20221026-080136_YouTube.jpg.1305b6fe13d5e2fed480cdbf7a4d4714.jpg

Screenshot_20221026-080035_YouTube.thumb.jpg.b34346c3248cb4613842f9b1b370550b.jpg

I'm still curious how @OptOutand my Saturn smash and what not FC carts are coming 🙂

5 hours ago, SNESNESCUBE64 said:

Being mad at someone who makes content online is a waste of your time. Time you can effectively use to make a sandwich or scream at the squirrels chewing through the top of your garbage can in order to get to the delicous garbage.

I think some people get off on being mad, though. And screaming at sandwich squirrels doesn't do it for them anymore.

• Haha 1

On 10/24/2022 at 3:41 AM, AirVillain said:

I mean, he states right in the video that "of course he's a collector" but he doesn't like collectors who "don't use the item for its intended purpose." Hahaha.... that's ALL of us! That's HIMSELF too in many ways.

As Strange pointed out with the stamp example, it's like saying you're only a REAL stamp collector if you USE the stamps and put them on letters to people.

Even drawing lines between stamp collecting and video game collecting in the first place is where it gets gross to me.

Stamp collecting is already weird as it is - but it's more about people finding a new usage for used stamps that wouldn't otherwise serve any purpose, and doesn't conflict with any other interests. I don't understand stamp collectors, but I also don't really have any reason to care about them.

I care a lot about video games though, because I'm a dumb nerd. Treating video games strictly as a collecting trophy (the same way the mentioned stamps and trading cards are) is just as weird to me, and ideally I'd have no reason to care about that either. But when people start scoffing at the idea of actually treating them as games, as if being the collector item was their default purpose, that's where it becomes impossible for me to respect. And when you see how that mentality has affected classic video game prices over the past years, it doesn't give me any more sympathy towards it.

Edited by Sumez
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Sumez said:

I care a lot about video games though, because I'm a dumb nerd. Treating video games strictly as a collecting trophy (the same way the mentioned stamps and trading cards are) is just as weird to me, and ideally I'd have no reason to care about that either. But when people start scoffing at the idea of actually treating them as games, as if being the collector item was their default purpose, that's where it becomes impossible for me to respect. And when you see how that mentality has affected classic video game prices over the past years, it doesn't give me any more sympathy towards it.

I wouldn't be surprised if somewhere a person is buying a loose Captain Skyhawk cart out of the bargain bin literally to display it like 

Indiana Jones Reaction GIF

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/26/2022 at 8:07 AM, SNESNESCUBE64 said:

Being mad at someone who makes content online is a waste of your time.

Who's mad? I think we're all having a pretty level-headed discussion....?

On 10/26/2022 at 6:43 PM, Bearcat-Doug said:

I wouldn't be surprised if somewhere a person is buying a loose Captain Skyhawk cart out of the bargain bin literally to display it like 

Indiana Jones Reaction GIF

Haha, c'mon man.... you could have at least picked a shittier game. You know, like Castelian or something.

Somewhere there is an absolute insane Castelian shrine. Someone is searching the depths of each bargain bin searching and searching for the perfect addition to the Castelian Castle. I'm sure that's what they'd name it. I mean, I don't have any experience obsessing over Castelian, or anything, but if I did... I would know their shrine would be referred to as "Castelian Castle". 😳

Edited by AirVillain
ADDition....