IGNORED

Unfortunate that people listen to this...

Ian (& Pat) Mini-rant coming....

I happened to wonder if Pat was still making videos and still talking nonsense & came upon this one.... Ian talks about his time in a game store for 15 years. I was curious because he generally seems unhappy and shits all over stuff all the time. This was no exception.

Ironically, Ian judges "shelf collectors", as he puts it, and says they turned him off of collecting. He also rolls his eyes and complains about customers coming in and asking if there are any more copies of games, looking for good labels.

Of course, there's a dig at NA from Pat in there as being some of these collectors. 

This Ian guy is one weird hypocritical cat. He worked in a Game Store for 15 years and then has the BALLS to go on a podcast and shit all over it and the customers? When he collects games himself, and is speaking to someone who literally has useless shit (aka "stuff not being used for its intended purpose") RIGHT BEHIND THEM in the video? 🤣

It makes me laugh that someone could lack such self awareness. 

I tried to find another thread to piggyback on, as I know we don't want to be a community of "haters". And if you like these guys, then fine... all the power to you. 

Lock it up, if you think this is too "rude", or "insensitive".... but I find it unfortunate that NA (which now extends to us) still is getting shit on and this Ian guy just goes off on a certain set of collectors while he himself benefits/participates in the same thing. 🤷‍♂️

The video is well over a year old. Plus, it's no secret people have, to say diplomatically, mixed feelings about Pat and Ian, and their views are pretty well documented throughout their podcast.

I also don't think they have made more than any passing mentions of VGS and recognize that we're separate from NA.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AirVillain said:

Ironically, Ian judges "shelf collectors", as he puts it, and says they turned him off of collecting.

I always get a kick out if this sentiment: it's someone else's fault for you changing your collection habits, and other people's opinions and actions are the metric you use to determine what and how you collect?!?  What are you, a fucking lemming?

• Haha 1
  • Agree 2

37 minutes ago, Lynda Monica said:

I don't know who these people are. Should I?

Pat is a game collector who on rare occasions would put out videos where he played a character and did reviews, sort of like the AVGN. In fact he did a few collaborations with him. That's what I know him for. He has a lot of hot takes and has made a plenty of people angry over the years. Oh, also he was one of the collectors Karl Jobst worked with for those videos on WATA

Pat hasn't done a review video in a long time. He mostly just does his podcast. But his (and Ian's) views have been known for about a decade now, and they haven't changed, so I don't know why people get worked up over them as if he posted a hot take last week.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Ugh I forgot about these two...hah the funny thing, what they're talking about and the time, I was there when I had returned to CA for around 3 years before leaving thankfully for good.  Luna Games had(has?) two locations, did back then, and he was at the more inland one near the college, then he ended up at the other coastal location.  The store wasn't bad, wasn't the best of deals, but there were worse around, but enough was fairly enough priced for the time.

I remember Ian fairly well we talked at times, he was pretty friendly, but even then you could see when someone was being a princess it would get grating, not just to him but anyone around, attitude means a lot even with a fair question.  They're wrong about dating the start maybe but not on the investors jumping in causing the persistent toxic behavior, that was 2011 largely 2012 forward.

They're right it was still about playing, retaining, trying things, owning the stuff throughout the 00s.  As he put it, alternate revenue source, that's when it hit the fan.  I can't fault him, though I wouldn't blame the store, I'd blame the types who came through the store(and now through ebay, fb marketplace, etc) causing you not to want to be a collector or put up with it anymore, it's toxic, toxic to where you're turned off from it if not the hobby entirely (or damn near it.)  He nailed it but I think he fought back using shelf queen since someone will get all icy/nasty not being PC with that, so shelf collector has no sex to it.  The shelf types are a problem, they'll pay what it takes to get it, usually NOW, and before FOMO or some mental gymnastics and it harms others so you have a status symbol.  I don't blame the guy not wanting to put up much with other customers, they're parasites who cost sales and cost you a lot of time for maybe no sale either, so he's right, dump the lot on the counter and let the shelf queen pick their prize, while a game player equally might want a nice one but they'll use and adore it.

Must have glossed over VGS, did hear NA come up briefly.  No surprise.  The thing is Ian is fine, I get that and where he's at, it's about right given we(like many here) have been at it probably second hand since the 90s or early 00s.  What is going on for a decade now and last 2 years is enough to just say fuck it and get salty.  The thing is, Pat is the crazy one to worry about, unless he leveled off mentally finally sometime in the last about 10 years now.  The utter need to get attention, drama, weird behavior, I'm sure enough medicine and counseling could have leveled that out with time. 😉

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Good input.

I appreciate the level headed folk, I need a bit more of that sometimes. Thanks for the input BA, you're right. 

And very good points that it's a dated video, and it's nothing new or a "hot take".... it just was the video I came across 🤷‍♂️

Less of a "I hate these guys" type rant, but more pointing out the hypocrisy of people in the hobby attacking others in the hobby for doing it slightly differently.

I know we do that here somewhat, haha, but I like to think some of that is in jest and the tone coming from this video is discontent and very condescending.

Like, especially as a game store employee you would understand the different "types" of collectors, and people in general, and yet he's the reason you have a job and can afford to eat. 

Just seems odd someone could be so self unaware to shit on these people that are likely listening to the podcast because they think they're your friends.

And when working at a game store, you'd think someone picking a clean label would be a VERY common thing...?

Also, let's not get it twisted, I wouldn't want to work in a game store for 15 years either. 1) far too many games to sell I don't like 2) annoying ppl like me coming in 🤣🤣🤣

Edited by AirVillain
spelling

4 minutes ago, TDIRunner said:

That's odd that you just watched this video despite it being a year old.  I also had this video in my recommended list on Friday.  I didn't watch it, but I also assumed it was one of their recently released videos.  The algorithm is strange sometimes.  

My algorithm is fucked, now, NNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOO. Maybe since you had it in your recommend list, it added it to other lists!! This is all your fault!

Now I got this one..... I can't even get started at how annoying the absolute arrogance of this video is. 😑

I would like to bet that this guy didn't even make the schedules for the employees at the store. 🤣

And yeah I know it's old and not a hot take.... it's my damn algorithm!!! (leaves and destroys computer)

Honestly, my biggest issue with this video is the Bloodsport shirt. I had it on my Watch list, but now I will wait until I forgot I saw this....

Okay.... but wait... there's more!!!

I JUST REALIZED MY TRUE REASON FOR NOT TRUSTING PAT/IAN's GAMING INPUT. Go to Pat's NES Book and read the review for Battletoads. I'll wait.

I also enjoy Pat and Ian's podcast and listen to it on occasion. I think Pat's bad feelings about NA stemmed from a few individuals who said threatening things to him and he then painted the whole site with a broad brush. I know they are aware of VGS as a separate site that a lot of the former NA members migrated too and from what I recall he spoke positively about that.

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, AirVillain said:

My algorithm is fucked, 

You think your algorithm is fucked.  My 8 year old son has soccer practice 3 days a week which eats into all of his free time since he has to get his homework done before practice.  Because of this, I let him watch YouTube on my phone for the drive home after practice (it's really the only "free time he gets to himself on practice nights).  He watches "Mikey and JJ" and some "Lankeybox" shit.  My algorithm is really confused right now.  

• Haha 2

I'm not going to do a let me fix that for you, but that question about picking through for a clean label...yeah no.

You'd really be surprised just how many people don't give a damn if it works.  As long as it doesn't look like road kill, cracked in places, or covered in some mold or other flood damage a lot just don't give a damn.  I've seen it for years, been seeing it the last month too as I've been helping a local friend who sells stuff since he's in his 20s and the stuff we care about is kind of out of his wheel house.  I've been surprised what some will pay for stuff and in some interesting levels of condition at that.