What’s worse? McDonalds or cigarettes?

phart010

What’s worse? McDonalds or cigarettes   

47 members have voted

1. 1. What’s worse? McDonalds or cigarettes

• McDonalds is worse
    • Cigarettes are worse

1 hour ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I had the breakfast burritos this morning and they were amazing.

Those are pretty good. i get those every so often.

BTW, if you want, you can clone just about anything McDs makes, even McFlurrys (so if the machine is down, don't despair!)

Edited by Tulpa
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Tulpa said:

It's more that you're the king of outdated references, emperor even. So you saying a joke is outdated is really rich. 😛

Well the Atkins thing was really silly and I happen to remember the year so I just had to.  And I meant the fad diet is outdated, not the joke.

• Disagree 1

18 hours ago, Estil said:

The heck is that supposed to mean?  I mean all I was saying was how silly these fad diets are...would you believe both Coke and Pepsi at the time joined the low carb bandwagon at the time with their C2 and Edge respectively? 😛

but wasn’t a big part of the adkins diet eating highly processed garbage?

Do you realize how anecdotal stories there are of people reversing chronic disease - heart disease, kidney disease, gut issues, autoimmune, mental disorders, etc etc - by switching to an animal based diet, focusing on animal flesh and animal fat and eliminating plants/fiber? There is OVERWHELMING accounts and people are taking notice. 

while not mainstream, I would not call high fat/low carb diet a fad.

Edited by final fight cd

1 hour ago, final fight cd said:

but wasn’t a big part of the adkins diet eating highly processed garbage?

Do you realize how anecdotal stories there are of people reversing chronic disease - heart disease, kidney disease, gut issues, autoimmune, mental disorders, etc etc - by switching to an animal based diet, focusing on animal flesh and animal fat and eliminating plants/fiber? There is OVERWHELMING accounts and people are taking notice. 

while not mainstream, I would not call high fat/low carb diet a fad.

I personally know an older fellow that was VERY overweight and the Atkinson got him on track to being normal weight. He just cut out all carbs, didn’t stop eating veggies though

I don't like McDonalds. The burger patties are gross and dry and unseasoned. If you like ketchup and mustard and pickles, obviously that's easy to ignore. I do not like those things. The bun and cheese and lettuce are not terrible as I recall but not remarkable in any way. I'm sure the tomato is sad. All of it is too sweet (probably mostly the ketchup, but I wouldn't be surprised about the beef)

I don't understand the fry fandom, either. Somebody tell me what's special about them. Because of all the internet chatter, I went and tried some a couple of summers ago, and I just don't get it. I walked over to the river and fed most of them to the seagulls. 

So I quit eating all of that over 20 years ago. A $1 McChicken sandwich has done ok by me on occasion, not recently but I'll admit it. And the cookies, and the apple pie. 

I quit smoking 6 years ago. I'll still have one at a party or whatever. Less gross than McD imo. Which one is worse for you? idk, but they're both bad for people and also the environment - on the latter I'd say it falls to McD.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Link said:

I don't understand the fry fandom, either. Somebody tell me what's special about them. Because of all the internet chatter, I went and tried some a couple of summers ago, and I just don't get it. I walked over to the river and fed most of them to the seagulls.

If you only actually tried McDonald's fries for the first time two years ago, then yeah, you totally missed out on anything special.  Thing is, prior to 1990, McDonald's fried their fries in beef tallow, and they were downright amazing.  However. vegetarians (and vegans, although those folks weren't really commonly mentioned until toward the late 90s or so) flipped their lids when they found this out and pitched a fit, causing the company to switch over to using standard vegetable oil in their fryers (although the official company line was that it was about reducing trans fats...in 1990...).

Anybody still claiming that McDonald's has the best fries of any fast food chain is obviously mistaken due to one (or more) of the following:
1) Still stuck on the same line of thinking from the 1980s (and prior)
2) Never actually tried anyone else's fries
3) Grew up eating them constantly in Happy Meals and didn't develop the palate to know better

Now one thing that McDonald's tends to do that other places don't, which can affect people's preferences, is get things done the same way consistently across multiple locations.  Sure, that's kind of what the training any chain employee goes through is supposed to enforce.  However, McDonald's tends to be better about it than other chains, as well as having specialized gear used during food prep to help guarantee uniformity that other chains just don't mess with.  So, even today, while I don't typically prefer McDonald's fries above a lot of places', I at least know what I'll be getting, where as Burger King and Wendy's, for example, tend to be all over the map--sometimes they're great, sometimes they totally suck, but McDonald's will nearly always hit the known quantity bullseye.

4 hours ago, phart010 said:

I personally know an older fellow that was VERY overweight and the Atkinson got him on track to being normal weight. He just cut out all carbs, didn’t stop eating veggies though

Sounds like Keto.

The irony of griping about McDonalds food being so unhealthy is that the beef is the the least processed and most healthy of any part of a Big Mac, ignoring the smattering of veggies. It's just 100% frozen ground beef. If it weren't, they would have been litigated to death over it by now.

The rest is absolutely terrible, highly overprocessed junk - enriched white bread full of sugar, low-grade American cheese, and Big Mac sauce, which is soybean oil , HFCS, and sugar. It's all vegetarian processed food that is the nutritional equivalent of the non-tobacco parts of cigarettes.

16 hours ago, darkchylde28 said:

If you only actually tried McDonald's fries for the first time two years ago, then yeah, you totally missed out on anything special.  Thing is, prior to 1990, McDonald's fried their fries in beef tallow, and they were downright amazing

You are right, using beef grease to cook fries, they taste amazing. I learned this from a YouTube video. Now whenever I cook steak or any kind of beef, I will pour the beef grease into my vegetable oil for French fries. They come out WAY crispier and the flavor is amazing 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I was well aware of the beef tallow fry controversy, having paid attention to the news at the time. And yes, in various corners of the internet, people do still talk up their fries as the best. It's been a while but well after 1990, after 2000 and I believe even 2010, that I've seen the sentiment of getting a Whopper + McD fries as the best possible combo. I'm sure it was some version of 

20 hours ago, darkchylde28 said:

one (or more) of the following:
1) Still stuck on the same line of thinking from the 1980s (and prior)
2) Never actually tried anyone else's fries
3) Grew up eating them constantly in Happy Meals and didn't develop the palate to know better

But I figured spending a buck or two to find out wouldn't be a big deal. And it wasn't. I had fun feeding the birds along the riverfront. Despite recent aspersions, I believe I do have a fairly open mind...

• 3 weeks later...
Events Team · Posted
4 hours ago, Daniel_Doyce said:

I don't think I've ever had a McRib. Maybe I should get one.

How sweet is the sauce?  I like BBQ sauce on the savory side, not like NC-style, which is atrocious, but also not very sugary or generally nasty like Cincinnati chili

You owe it to yourself to try it.  It's definitely a sweet sauce but has a good tang to it.  Supposedly the last hurrah for the McRib.  😭

• Thanks 1

Editorials Team · Posted

I would only do either if I was drunk.

McD's if I'm trying to drown my sorrows, probably while crying into my chicken nuggets.  Super macho.

Smoking cause a lady offered, and I'm gonna pretend to be super cool and join in, and (very slightly) increase the odds we can go home together.

Obviously I'm gonna pass this wisdom on to my kids 

il_794xN.2335058520_efle.jpg

I've never smoked, and don't ever want to start that crap knowing it takes years to quit something that's addicting (it took me almost three decades to quit drinking Coca-Cola and Pepsi). One of my friends has been smoking for years and I remember he was chewing gum a few years ago, yet he doesn't want to quit or even cut back anytime soon. I'd say smoking is worse.

That being said, I don't eat at McDonald's very often. In August I got one of those Pokémon Happy Meals, which was the first meal I've ordered at McDonald's in at least five years. And while the Cheeseburger did taste good, I haven't ordered a meal there since.

image.jpeg.47d87a38e2503bbff6c38f750335b53f.jpeg

On 11/3/2022 at 2:11 PM, JamesRobot said:

Aw fuck yeah!

85wmEi6.gif

I love McD's but not the McRib.

(I don't like their slivered onions), That's part of the reason why I don't care for the Quarter pounder. On paper it sounds like fresh beef and fresh veg should be better, but the slivered are too bitter. dehydrated onion and frozen patties are the way to go. They tend to overcook the fresh beef because they don't adjust the grill time, and it gets dried out on the edges.

Edited by G-type