IGNORED

Nuclear War.. my games… what do I do?

phart010

Let’s say a nuclear war has just broken out. You start thinking about your games. What do you do?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Let’s say a nuclear war has just broken out. You start thinking about your games. What do you do?

• I’m staying with my games. Load them games into the basement with my 1 years worth of canned food. My games and I are living together and dying together
    • Hmmm.. Maybe we won’t get hit right away. Let’s just go rent a uhaul and load it up. Every last game is coming with me!
    • Immediately drive off to the mountains or ‘named place of refuge.’ Take a few boxes full of whatever you can and toss them in the trunk
    • Immediately hop onto the next plane to ‘name your country of refuge.’ Only have time to throw a few small rares into a carry on.
    • Lightning sale with pawn shop. All games 80% off. Pawn shop owner - here’s my house key.. wire me the money. I’m outta here… PEACE
    • Family first. Drive to home of loved ones and live out any precious remaining time together. Maybe bring NES, two controllers and a favorite game
    • Forget about the games. Right now I have more important stuff to think about.

2 hours ago, phart010 said:

Let’s say a nuclear war has just broken out. You start thinking about your games. What do you do?

Practically, I don’t/won’t.  Realistically, to say a fleeting thought of any significant investment won’t cross your mind is unrealistic, but I can guarantee it will only be for a half second, brushed off and I’d do what I could to protect my family and either get as far away from a targeted area or simply shelter from any damage ASAP.

Thinking about games of any type are a bit naive.  The best I might do is take a couple of portables to put in the kids hands to keep them distracted.  That’s something we don’t do with our kids.  Not even tablets or iPhones.

• Like 1

Well if a nuke was to hit NYC I’m out of the fireball radius but I’m pretty sure we’d still need to head farther north to get out of the radiation zone. Drive the pilot as far as possible and walk to find shelter. Definitely not worried about games at that point.

If there was a run on the banks and I couldn’t get money, maybe I’d try to get some of my rares but I highly doubt anyone would even care we’d all need to be trading for food or clothes or precious metals at that point. 

• Like 1

In the event of all out nuclear war, I pray that the first bomb lands directly above me and my family.

Painless, instant death versus versus trying to survive a post-nuclear fallout world? Yeah, I choose death.

That being said, If I survive then I'm bringing a burger king crown, and my copy of Little Samson and declaring myself king of the nerds. If I'm going to live in Fallout, I might as well be a memorable character.

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, ThePhleo said:

In the event of all out nuclear war, I pray that the first bomb lands directly above me and my family.

Painless, instant death versus versus trying to survive a post-nuclear fallout world? Yeah, I choose death.

That being said, If I survive then I'm bringing a burger king crown, and my copy of Little Samson and declaring myself king of the nerds. If I'm going to live in Fallout, I might as well be a memorable character.

I’ll have Samson and panic restaurant and will challenge your kingship!

• Like 1

Why anyone would vote for anything but the last one I question their life entirely.  No matter how much you care, in the end, it's a nuke.  If the EMP didn't fry the chips in the cart/cards and the consoles, the radiation alone I think is an even more obvious concern, and I don't mean on that but YOU.

• Like 1

the last option seems the most sane, so it should be (and is) of course in the lead by a wide margin.

that being said, i chose the first option. If nuclear war breaks out, we're all dead sooner rather than later. all my games are at my house, where my family lives. We'll just stay home and ride it out. fuck it.  

now, playing the games will quickly become impossible as the electrical grid goes to pot, but that wasn't included in the options, so i'm ignoring that aspect.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, twiztor said:

the last option seems the most sane, so it should be (and is) of course in the lead by a wide margin.

that being said, i chose the first option. If nuclear war breaks out, we're all dead sooner rather than later. all my games are at my house, where my family lives. We'll just stay home and ride it out. fuck it.  

now, playing the games will quickly become impossible as the electrical grid goes to pot, but that wasn't included in the options, so i'm ignoring that aspect.

Average rider on an exercise bike can generate 200W. A crt uses around 100W and an lcd screen uses around 60W. Older game consoles use very little power. 

You could easily mod one of the exercise bikes with an alternator. Just hook it up to a car battery then an inverter and you’ll have a mini power plant that can power a tv and game console.

Just sayin’ 🤪

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, phart010 said:

Average rider on an exercise bike can generate 200W. A crt uses around 100W and an lcd screen uses around 60W. Older game consoles use very little power. 

You could easily mod one of the exercise bikes with an alternator. Just hook it up to a car battery then an inverter and you’ll have a mini power plant that can power a tv and game console.

Just sayin’ 🤪

Then go out and enslave a fellow survivor (i.e. former neighbor) to constantly power things.......

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, phart010 said:

Just sayin’ 🤪

Ah yes I can lose weight AND game 🤔 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tulpa said:

On the plus side, the older games don't need an Internet connection to work. 😛

During the aftermath when power is scarce, original Game Boys and carts soar to all time high prices. People aren’t wasting diesel powering TVs and NES but 20 hours of Pokemon on 2-4 AA batteries?? That’s the best deal in apocalyptic entertainment.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 3

3 hours ago, DefaultGen said:

During the aftermath when power is scarce, original Game Boys and carts soar to all time high prices. People aren’t wasting diesel powering TVs and NES but 20 hours of Pokemon on 2-4 AA batteries?? That’s the best deal in apocalyptic entertainment.

I can see people scavenging clocks and pen lights for their precious AAs. Even a few minutes of gaming would be worth it. 😛

• Like 1

Yeah, yeah, get out asap and you can't eat games. But a few years down the line when we figure out shelter and power generation, they're gonna have huge trade value. I'm not saying save your whole collection or spend a lot of time, but it wouldn't hurt to throw a few things in the bottom of your bag. 

• Like 1