IGNORED

We've been spelling "Amazing Tater" for the Game Boy wrong the whole time...

RH

2 minutes ago, RpgCollector said:

it’s A-Mazing Tater. As in A Tater that Mazes?

Yes, and that makes sense.  I've owned this game for years.  Never noticed until now that it has the dash, and I've never seen anyone type it out that way.  It does make sense.  This is a maze game and is a sequel to the much more common Kwirk.

Administrator · Posted

Yep.  It's just easier to refer to as Amazing Tater, which is what I always call it.  You can see on the logo, in the text, and also trademark info at the bottom right, that it is something like A・Mazing Tater or A-Mazing Tater.  But just for practical reasons, Amazing Tater is easier when discussing the game.

45962_back.jpg

You think that's bad? Well let me introduce you all to:

240.jpg

Nickeleodeon' The Ren & Stimpy Show: Buckeroo$!

(Gotta pronounce it Nickelodeons The Ren and Stimpy Show BuckerooDollarsignExlamationpoint)

Also:

240.jpg

David Crane's A Boy and His Blob: Trouble on Blobolonia

Also:

240.jpg

Fox's Peter Pan & The Pirates: "The Revenge of Captain Hook"

Also:

240.jpg

Ivan "Ironman" Stewart's Super Off Road

Also:

240.jpg

Acclaim's Star Voyager

Oh, But Phleo, those don't count because they're just name prefixes...

THEN WHY DO YOU CALL THIS: MIKE TYSON'S PUNCH-OUT!!

240.jpg

Edited by ThePhleo
  • Wow! 2

15 minutes ago, BortLicensePlate said:

Is there mazes in the game? That’s pretty funny haha

IIRC, sort of.  I think it’s a puzzle slider style game.  You have to push stuff around, probably avoid enemies and get from point A to B.  These games were quite popular on the GB.

Just now, RH said:

IIRC, sort of.  I think it’s a puzzle slider style game.  You have to push stuff around, probably avoid enemies and get from point A to B.  These games were quite popular on the GB.

Haven’t played it yet! Just looked up some gameplay and it looks really fun 

Editorials Team · Posted
11 minutes ago, BortLicensePlate said:

Is there mazes in the game? That’s pretty funny haha

Kinda, they're not really mazes though. Just spatial block-pushing puzzles. It's a great game, I'd say top 50. It has a beginner mode that teaches you how to play and gives you hints, which is neat to see in a Game Boy game. Usually they just assume you have a manual. It also sells for hundreds.

But yeah, due to lots of games trying to use "amazing" in the title, this was close enough to being a maze game that they went with it.

• Wow! 1

1 hour ago, Splain said:

Kinda, they're not really mazes though. Just spatial block-pushing puzzles. It's a great game, I'd say top 50. It has a beginner mode that teaches you how to play and gives you hints, which is neat to see in a Game Boy game. Usually they just assume you have a manual. It also sells for hundreds.

But yeah, due to lots of games trying to use "amazing" in the title, this was close enough to being a maze game that they went with it.

Sold! I’m going to give it a play

10 hours ago, ThePhleo said:

You think that's bad? Well let me introduce you all to:

Nickeleodeon' The Ren & Stimpy Show: Buckeroo$!

(Gotta pronounce it Nickelodeons The Ren and Stimpy Show BuckerooDollarsignExlamationpoint)

Also:

David Crane's A Boy and His Blob: Trouble on Blobolonia

Also:

Fox's Peter Pan & The Pirates: "The Revenge of Captain Hook"

Also:

Ivan "Ironman" Stewart's Super Off Road

Also:

Acclaim's Star Voyager

Oh, But Phleo, those don't count because they're just name prefixes...

THEN WHY DO YOU CALL THIS: MIKE TYSON'S PUNCH-OUT!!

I actually include the Ivan "Ironman" Stewart part.  For me it's a small but important difference.  With Punch Out and Super Off Road (as well as several others), the person on the cover had nothing to do with the actual game, and the name is part of the title because they were PAID to be part of the title.  With guys like David Crane, Garry Kitchen, etc, those are guys that designed the game.  Their name was never intended to be part of the title.  It's the difference between "Steven King's It" and Steven King's "It."  Same goes for corporate entities.  Their name isn't meant to be part of the actual title, just a reference point.  It falls under the same sort of category.  Very subtle distinction, but I think it's pretty obvious (at least to me).

Also, I always thought it was Blobonia.  Never noticed the extra syllable 😛

8 hours ago, Webhead123 said:

What is it with the word "amazing" and its use in game titles? I also grew up owning the board game "The a MAZE ing Labyrinth", which may or may not be officially called "The a [gnome] MAZE [gnome] ing Labyrinth".

I just don't know what's real anymore!

Labyrinth Box Cover

Amazing Labyrinth is fucking AWESOME!  Sadly my copy is missing a tile...but I do have the Master Labyrinth as well, so that kinda makes up for it.

51OPG96TzqL-4074138860.jpg.56aa02481650909db0f99fbe475c8b37.jpg

• Like 2