IGNORED

We've been spelling "Amazing Tater" for the Game Boy wrong the whole time...

RH

54 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I think it's really rare/expensive, but I'm barely aware of it and definitely haven't ever played it.

Yeah, the GB is weird.  There's a pair of "potato games" for the Game Boy that are the most valuable titles-- A-mazing Tater and Spud's Adventure.  I honestly have no clue why these games are the most expensive for the system.  After watching and looking at GB games for ages, they aren't the most rare titles and other than being early Atlus games and (I think) the only two Atlus published titles on the GB, I don't know what they have going for them.

I mean, I'm not saying they aren't fun for what they are (Spud's Adventure is a Zelda-esque adventure game) but they aren't top-tier titles and not worth the premium they go for.

Edited by RH

3 minutes ago, Link said:

Wait til you hear about a little game called Squoon.

Oh, I know that there are many other similar examples for other systems.  But, these are the top-level games that are expensive without great reason.  I could rattle of another 4-5 games rather fast that are much less common and maybe even just as fun but people don't pay one third what this game goes for.  And when you factor in condition, there were some games that would only pop up every other month, so waiting for a cartridge in mint shape took a very long time or a bit of networking.  These games, though, nah there's almost always a couple on eBay.

54 minutes ago, RH said:

Oh, I know that there are many other similar examples for other systems.  But, these are the top-level games that are expensive without great reason.  I could rattle of another 4-5 games rather fast that are much less common and maybe even just as fun but people don't pay one third what this game goes for.  And when you factor in condition, there were some games that would only pop up every other month, so waiting for a cartridge in mint shape took a very long time or a bit of networking.  These games, though, nah there's almost always a couple on eBay.

37 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I think Sqoon is a fun game, but I sure wouldn't pay $150+ for a loose cart

I was making reference to a post from the early days of NintendoAge, but maybe it's less famous than I thought it was. It must have been in somebody's signature or something, because I read it several times. 

Of course, I can't find the text anywhere now. 

46 minutes ago, Link said:

I was making reference to a post from the early days of NintendoAge, but maybe it's less famous than I thought it was. It must have been in somebody's signature or something, because I read it several times. 

Of course, I can't find the text anywhere now. 

Ah, I joined around 2016.  The only Sqoon reference I recall was someone who went by that user ID.  I think it was another year or two before I even realized it was a NES game since I was focused mostly on GB at that time.

4 hours ago, RH said:

Ah, I joined around 2016. 

So did I 🤷‍♀️ albeit 9 months sooner than you did. But it was a post from years earlier, or maybe it was on a FAQ page. (I read a lot of old stuff as I sought information when I got into collecting.) It was about escalating prices, through exactly the sort of phenomenon you described with Amazing Tater and Spudquest - Sqoon is not widely liked or known, yet it commands a premium.  If you had recognized it or if I could find and quote it, my pithy reply would have made more sense.

Edited by Link

22 hours ago, ThePhleo said:

You think that's bad? Well let me introduce you all to:

240.jpg

Nickeleodeon' The Ren & Stimpy Show: Buckeroo$!

(Gotta pronounce it Nickelodeons The Ren and Stimpy Show BuckerooDollarsignExlamationpoint)

Also:

240.jpg

David Crane's A Boy and His Blob: Trouble on Blobolonia

Also:

240.jpg

Fox's Peter Pan & The Pirates: "The Revenge of Captain Hook"

Also:

240.jpg

Ivan "Ironman" Stewart's Super Off Road

Also:

240.jpg

Acclaim's Star Voyager

Oh, But Phleo, those don't count because they're just name prefixes...

THEN WHY DO YOU CALL THIS: MIKE TYSON'S PUNCH-OUT!!

240.jpg

I've got one, The Billiard Congress of America Presents Championship Pool. The true and correct name of the game. Of course, just like box art on all 4 versions says:

34R47xz.png

S0bkRk0.png

But wait... internally all 4 manuals only ever call it "Championship Pool" 🤔

PEPkZIU.png

qQ0JIbr.png

Better go to the title screens for the tiebreaker... Game Boy is just Championship Pool, I guess 2 to 1 that means the game's title is just Championship Pool

6xEMbmg.png

OK the NES and Genesis version are obviously "Billiard Congress of America Presents Championship Pool"... Wait, where did the The go??

RZgJrY3.pngvDhzX7u.png

Wait... wait a minute the SNES version exclusively has a copyright screen immediately after the title that just says Championship Pool. So for the SNES version that's:

1x "The Billiard Congress of America Presents Championship Pool" (cover art)
1x "Billiard Congress of America Presents Championship Pool" (title screen)
2x "Championship Pool" (manual text and copyright screen)

So by majority rule the SNES version is called... Championship Pool... right??

vihi4Uv.png0O6yl59.png

@ThePhleo???????

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, DefaultGen said:

Better go to the title screens for the tiebreaker...

If title screens were canon, Gyromite would be "Robot Gyro," Stack Up would be "Robot Block," Mickey Mousecapade would be "Mickey Mouse," Ghost Lion would be "Legend of the Ghost Lion," etc, etc.......

In sum, whatever's written on a video game's in-game title screen is moot.  Now you know 😛

The_More_You_Know.jpg

I only go by the end labels.

Elimonator Boat Duel and Legends of the Daimond 4 lyfe!

And of course the complete title for Remote Control is Hi-Tech Expressions MTV Music Televison Remote Control, The Official Video Game Version of MTV's Worthless Game of Useless TV Knowledge.

s-l1600.jpg

And Chessmaster is really called Hi-Tech Expressions The Chessmaster, The Ultimate Chess Partner with 16 Levels of Play to Instruct Beginners and Challenge Grandmasters.

s-l1600.jpg

Jesus God, did Hi-Tech like to cram every word they could on end labels.

Oh, and who could forget the classic NES game, Jaleco! Interestingly it has both arcade game and sports game variants. You never know what game you're going to get!

s-l1600.jpg

s-l640.jpg

Edited by Tulpa
  • Agree 1