IGNORED

Biggest rip off games

LostLevel83

Well early 1991 gave us Street Fighter II, and late 1991 SNK copied the concept a little too closely given the designer helped create SF with Fatal Fury, and quickly followed Fatal Fury 2 which furthered the copying of SF2 by adding a woman and also rounding the the choice of 8 fighters you can use (up from 3) and also having 8 starter fights followed by 4 further boss/final boss fights just as how SF2 had been designed.

Always a step behind when FF2 came out SF2CE had dropped where you could use those 4 bosses.

11 hours ago, LostLevel83 said:

I played Rival Turf (SNES) this week. It straight rips off Final Fight and even Street Fighter II in some ways.

What games stick out to you as being a huge rip off of other games?

Oh man I love Rival Turf. One thing it did right was including coop lol. 

Also on SNES you’ll have Fighter’s History, a 2D fighter that doesn’t even try.

image.jpeg.48327abc0350565b9240296fc48a6ea5.jpeg

• Like 1

M.C. Kids is a pretty unashamed rip-off of Super Mario Bros. 3. If you squint a little, even the titular kids look like they could be stand-ins for the Mario Bros. with their artstyle and the general shape of their sprites. I mean, I guess I don't expect a whole lot of a video game from a fast-food chain (and the game is honestly better than it has any right to be, on those grounds) but originality certainly wasn't one of their high priorities, here.

Depth Dwellers is a blatant (and awful) clone of Doom/Wolfenstein. Yeah, Doom's success saw it get lots of clones but Depth Dwellers was one of the earliest that didn't even try to hide what it was. It's (very) poor-man's Doom/Wolfenstein. Full stop.

Kasumi Ninja is such a rip-off of Mortal Kombat that it's almost painful to think about. Maybe it could have been forgiven if it had any redeeming qualities but, no, it does not.

Edited by Webhead123

@mbd39 Wow nice one, totally forgot about the game. I learned about it some years back. Given the Punchout fan pool about over the years I'm surprised it doesn't get mentioned more often or maybe someone make a NES hack of it or PC retro port, something so people can check the thing out as it's truly interesting.

Same with Viper, going back decades it was always Capcom ripping off Namco with that one on Rolling Thunder.  Mind you, they did it better, though then by the time RT3 popped up on Genesis it's fairly like that Capcom game so it kind of went full circle of one aping the other and back.

3 hours ago, NESfiend said:

Never played rolling thunder, but now I want to. CNV is a lot of fun!

Your loss, it's one of those Tengen carts which proved sometimes, in some rarer cases, unlicensed games kicked the crap out of a number of the licensed titles in quality.  Given the pedigree though given Tengen is Atari, and the better stuff they did do was their own, Namco, Sega stuff too, it's not a huge surprise.

On 9/17/2022 at 6:18 AM, rdrunner said:

Even though it may not count when Capcom plays off their own stuff, "Street Fighter 2010: The Final Fight".  It's absolutely nothing like the two games in its title, almost as if they were trying to fool people into buying the game based only on name recognition.

Wasn't that supposed to be a spinoff/sequel when it was released?  It came out well before Street Fighter II was released, and the first game was far from groundbreaking, so I could see why they might've tried something like that at the time...

• Agree 2

9 hours ago, the_wizard_666 said:

Wasn't that supposed to be a spinoff/sequel when it was released?  It came out well before Street Fighter II was released, and the first game was far from groundbreaking, so I could see why they might've tried something like that at the time...

That reminds me. Final Fantasy Adventure was a spinoff that retroactively got changed to being its own series, and that game plays a lot like oldschool Zelda titles. It isn't shameless like the Great Gianna Sisters, but I think it counts

The Making Of The Great Giana Sisters | Retro Gamer

Edited by Ankos