IGNORED

Biggest rip off games

LostLevel83

11 minutes ago, Sumez said:

I don't really think Final Fantasy Adventure/Mystic Quest feels anything like Zelda at all? The only similarity really is the top-down perspective 🙂

If you look up "Final Fantasy Adventure" and "Zelda" you'll get a lot of results comparing the two, but I get what you mean. It isn't really focused on discovering secrets like Zelda. The controls feel similar though, especially when just limited to the sword. Crusader of Centy, Neutopia, and Golden Axe Warrior are better examples of Zelda inspired titles. What the_wizard_666 just reminded me of Final Fantasy Adventure more

Turbografx-16 – Neutopia | Obscure Video Games

Yeah Golden Axe Warrior and Neutopia were very blatant with their designs.  Final Fantasy Adventure/Seiken Densetsu has the overhead style, but it largely ends there.  It's a very calculated section by section played out adventure story, it's more like I guess an Ys ripoff despite not poke checking everything to kill it if you had to knock it for something.

Balloon Fight out jousted joust, such the more fun and better game for it. 🙂

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

Yeah Golden Axe Warrior and Neutopia were very blatant with their designs.  Final Fantasy Adventure/Seiken Densetsu has the overhead style, but it largely ends there.  It's a very calculated section by section played out adventure story, it's more like I guess an Ys ripoff despite not poke checking everything to kill it if you had to knock it for something.

I wonder why Golden Axe Warrior was released on SMS instead of the Genesis where it could've been a bigger hit.

• Like 1

Just now, Tanooki said:

Sega.

I don't mean it as a joke, they just were that incompetent with vital choices throughout the 90s. :\

I was just thinking of this recently.  I wondered why Sega didn't tap Traveler's Tales for more games after Sonic R.  They had a great handle on the saturn in a very short while even if Sonic R was a flop.  Nintendo was willing to throw money at Akklaim to keep Turok an exclusive on the N64, and in contrast Sega was letting some of the most talented devs in the industry slip through their fingers.  But yea, Sega made lots of bad decisions all throughout the 90's.

Edited by CMR
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Tanooki said:

Ys ripoff despite not poke checking everything to kill it if you had to knock it for something.

Xak is kinda an Ys clone. I heard about that one on a Basement Brothers video. Bump attacks like in Ys were sort of a thing before then considering Hydlide is a thing. Maybe a long time ago there were die hard Hydlide fans who called Ys a Hydlide clone. Probably not though, Ys is a lot more expansive 

• Like 1

Golden Axe Warrior wasn't just inspired by zelda, it's a clone of the first Zelda game down to really, really specific elements that makes you wonder why they bothered with them at all.

I don't think it's weird to release it on Master System either, given the style of gameplay. Keep in mind it came out the same year as A Link to the Past - It would have felt incredibly antiquated on the MegaDrive.

Edited by Sumez

7 hours ago, Sumez said:

Golden Axe Warrior wasn't just inspired by zelda, it's a clone of the first Zelda game down to really, really specific elements that makes you wonder why they bothered with them at all.

I don't think it's weird to release it on Master System either, given the style of gameplay. Keep in mind it came out the same year as A Link to the Past - It would have felt incredibly antiquated on the MegaDrive.

GAW actually came out the year before ALTTP in the US.

It could've been improved on the Genesis/Megadrive. And Sega having any 16-bit Zelda clone would have been better than nothing.

It wasn't until 1995 that the Genesis had a Zelda clone, Crusaders of Centy.

Edited by mbd39

1 hour ago, CMR said:

Battle of Olympus is a Zelda II clone as far as the side scrolling mechanics go.  IMO it's as close as Krion Conquest is to MegaMan 2.  I almost wonder if they didn't swipe some of Nintendo's code.

Disagree. There's no overworld portion in Battle of Olympus and when you get into it the game plays a lot different. It's also better than Zelda II in every way and one of my favorite NES games. Everyone who played Zelda II and was disappointed should try Battle of Olympus to see how a side-scrolling adventure game should be made. And if you liked Zelda II you'll adore Battle of Olympus 🙂

• Agree 1

On 9/20/2022 at 9:10 PM, mbd39 said:

I wonder why Golden Axe Warrior was released on SMS instead of the Genesis where it could've been a bigger hit.

They knew US collectors desperately needed an interesting game to collect for their SMS collections.

Edited by DefaultGen

There is a long history of games where their creator worked for a different company and made something cool, then later on made a spiritual successor to their previous works. If you think about it, those games are kinda rip offs. The oldest example of this that I remember (though I doubt this is the actual oldest case of this) is a really good Famicom game called Cocoron. It is like Megaman, but instead of getting weapons from bosses, the game has a character creator

One gun?  There's two, must be the ghost of an old gun slinger. 😉

Kind of surprised some old DOS gems didn't make that pac-man hall of shame.

The fact the same domain, same host, and same insanely out of date website is still online as it was in 1995 is NUTS, so strap in and enjoy as JROK made gold with Pac PC, Ms Pac PC, and PC-Bert.  https://www.jrok.com/games_orig.html

THe original site is gone but anyone remember Champrograming?  Also DOS too, and here you'll find 10 amazingly nicely done with care arcade ripoffs. Champ Asterocks, Champ Centiped-em, Champ Centipede, Champ Galagon, Champ Galaxia, Champ Invaders, Champ Kong, Champ Ms Pac-em, Champ Ms Pacman, and Champ Pac-Em  https://www.myabandonware.com/browse/developer/champrogramming-corporation-xs/