IGNORED

Biggest rip off games

LostLevel83

On 9/22/2022 at 5:25 PM, Ankos said:

There is a long history of games where their creator worked for a different company and made something cool, then later on made a spiritual successor to their previous works. If you think about it, those games are kinda rip offs. The oldest example of this that I remember (though I doubt this is the actual oldest case of this) is a really good Famicom game called Cocoron. It is like Megaman, but instead of getting weapons from bosses, the game has a character creator

I disagree. That's a creator working in his own style. I sort of see that the jumping and the music are kind of recognizable, but otherwise, with the cards and the heart pods this is a drastically different game. 

Kinda feel the same way about your Dig Dug / The Pit comparison. Okay, you're tunneling underground. But there's totally different goals and features. 

• Agree 1

I was being a little loose with my criteria for those two. I try to be a little looser with my criteria for being a rip off because games that rip off each other too closely are less interesting to me. For what it's worth the wikipedia page for the Pit does mention that Atari threatened legal action over the game when it was released (though it does not look like the magazine it cited is still up on Internet Archive). I will admit that neither of those were great examples of rip offs, but I think that they are at least interesting ones. Tear Ring Saga would be a better example of a game where it creator left one company to go make something similar at another company. Especially considering its original name was Emblem Saga

Quest of Ki is a rip off of Major Havoc

They both have a character that has to navigate a 2d side view platforming  maze within a time limit. and have the ability to levitate upward but gets stunned if you bump your head on the ceiling or runs into a wall. Major Havoc intercuts these with a more typical space shooter stages, and lunar lander stages, and even a breakout minigame... all-in-all a game that was really doing a lot of cool things.. maybe too much... Quest of Ki was smart to focus on just the platforming levels.