IGNORED

Do game collections on modern consoles remove your need to own the original physical version of hit titles

phart010

Does owning the physical cart of a game collection containing an expensive game you wanted or a rerelease of an expensive game you wanted on modern consoles remove your need to get that particular game on its original  system?

For example, games such as the following:

-Kid Dracula (GB)
-Ghoul Patrol (SNES)
-Turtles in Time or Hyperstone Heist
-Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
-Megaman X2/X3 (SNES)
-Megaman 1, 5, 7 (NES/SNES)
-Secret of Mana series (SNES)
-Legend of Mana (PS1)
-Valis series (Genesis, PC Engine, SNES)
-Super Turrican 1/2, Mega Turrican
-Shantae (GBC)
-Klonoa (PS1/Wii)
-Alien Soldier (Genesis)
-Contra Hard Corps (Genesis)
-Crusader of Centy (Genesis)
-Radiant Silvergun (Saturn)
-Ikaruga (Dreamcast, Gamecube)
-Sonic CD (Sega CD)
-Mega Man Battle and Fighters (NGPC)

All these games have gotten quite expensive. You can get them all as either a physical rerelease (single game) on Switch or as part of a game collection (also physical) on Switch. If you get the newer cheaper game on Switch (or PS4) do you still feel the urge to try and acquire the original game for its original system, or does that urge just kind of go away?

Edited by phart010
  • Like 1

I think it's odd playing some games on newer consoles, controller-wise, especially if I've played the original release.

However, If the choice is owning it in a compilation or praying I'll get lucky or prices will drop, I'll take the compilation. Doubly so if one or more pricey games are in a compilation, like the Aleste Collection or the TMNT Cowabunga Collection.

Still, most publishers throw in arcade games, concept art, alternate versions, or extra goodies that make compilations worth the price without pricey games in them. 

• Like 1

From a gameplay standpoint, the answer is usually yes for me.  Having the HD Remake of Shadow of the Colossus means I probably won't play the PS2 or PS3 version ever gain.  Now that I have the Cowabunga Collection, it's likely I won't every play my SNES version of Turtles in Time ever again.

From a collector's standpoint, I still want the originals.  If I already have the game, it's very unlikely that I will get rid of it just because I have the newer version.  I'm definitely keeping my SNES Turtles in Time.  However, if a game is expensive or difficult to acquire, I might stop looking for the game.  Since I have the Switch version of Ikaruga, I will never shell out the big bucks for the original Saturn version.  So I will never own it unless I get lucky and find it cheap.  

Of course, everything I mentioned above only applies if the remake/remaster/rerelease is GOOD.  If the game is crap, of course I will stick with the original.  The Crash Bandicoot Trilogy Remaster was garbage, so I will still play my original copies.  

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, TDIRunner said:

Of course, everything I mentioned above only applies if the remake/remaster/rerelease is GOOD.  If the game is crap, of course I will stick with the original.  The Crash Bandicoot Trilogy Remaster was garbage, so I will still play my original copies.  

Good that you mentioned remasters.. I forgot to address these. I am only talking about direct ports in this thread. Basically the original game brought over to the newer system with minimal changes if any.  It makes sense to only prefer the remastered edition of a game. 

I am trying to gauge whether the direct port on the newer console is good enough to satisfy the collectors urge or if the original cart/cd is still needed.

29 minutes ago, phart010 said:

Good that you mentioned remasters.. I forgot to address these. I am only talking about direct ports in this thread. Basically the original game brought over to the newer system with minimal changes if any.  It makes sense to only prefer the remastered edition of a game. 

I am trying to gauge whether the direct port on the newer console is good enough to satisfy the collectors urge or if the original cart/cd is still needed.

Whether or not you meant to include remasters, my answer would still be the same.  I just threw out some remasters and remakes as examples simply because they were the first to come to mind.  

• Like 1

in general, i try not to buy the collections that come out. mainly (like with TMNT) i have most/all of the games already. and i tend to prefer playing the games on their original system. that is always my first choice. but there's always exceptions:

i semi-recently bought the Sonic Gems collection. i wanted to play Sonic CD, but don't have or want a Sega CD, so this seemed like the best option.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, twiztor said:

in general, i try not to buy the collections that come out. mainly (like with TMNT) i have most/all of the games already. and i tend to prefer playing the games on their original system. that is always my first choice. but there's always exceptions:

i semi-recently bought the Sonic Gems collection. i wanted to play Sonic CD, but don't have or want a Sega CD, so this seemed like the best option.

Give it some time and Sonic origins may get a physical release on switch

It depends. I'll echo what others have said, the port has to be good. The controls have to make sense. Mega Man X on Gamecube kinda sucks. I love that controller, but for prior gen games, the face button layout sometimes doesn't work. Graphics-wise, remasters can be good, but I never liked Super Mario All-Stars, specifically because of the visual updates. 

All else being equal, yes, I am happy to own a later-gen rerelease. 

• Like 1

I prefer original, have many on that list for the systems that I have too.  But, that said I'm not against collections, and if I'm buying them physically I value them all the same.  In a few cases where the game price is just comedic bs, the collection can allow use of the game and not getting ripped off like the NES version of the TMNT fighter that just got reissued in the cowabunga collection.  There's also that hope it'll hurt the value of the game enough to put it in reach, Earthbound the first go around had this happen when the huge surprise of it on the wii shop hit.  It doesn't remove my interest, but it's a good stop gap fix, a place holder that's better than nothing.

• Like 1

Not a collection, but I am playing a game right now that fits the thread - Sensible World of Soccer.  The original is for the Amiga (and many platforms), but there is a 360 version.  After playing the 360 version, I immediately wanted to check out the Amiga original, so in this case, I've been playing both back and forth for about 2 weeks.  There are small little differences (besides the graphical updates), but in this case, I like them both.  This specific game has a lot of community updates that are not available on the 360, so that kinda counts as an even different sort of modern version.

• Like 1

More on topic regarding physical carts . . . Those are even one step further removed because of flash carts.  Usually, the pattern goes something like this for me

• I get interested in an old game because of a modern re-release or remake
  • I play the modern version
  • I want to play the original, so I emulate it
  • I wonder if it plays differently on original hardware
  • I get out the system and flash cart and play on original hardware
  • If I end up LOVING the game then I will dig for the original cart or even buy it if I don't already own it

I do occasionally go through spasms of interest where I will play nothing but individual carts on a system, but that is more rare and a bit special.  Makes a big mess for a few days/weeks.

Edited by wongojack
  • Like 1

I’ll say for things that I wasn’t going to collect anyways because they’re so expensive, I’ll get the digital version if it becomes available. Two examples are Shantae and trip world. I don’t collect for gameboy or GBC but I was interested in these games. Shantae is 5 bucks on the eshop and trip world is 5 bucks too but only on japans eshop but I have a Japanese 3ds so I got it.

But if it’s for a console I do collect for then I want the physical version if possible but will also get the digital if I don’t think I’ll ever get the physical version. I don’t think this scenario has popped up for me yet though. If there was a digital way to get little Samson that’s one I would pay for to get the digital copy. 

• Like 1

Nintendo in particular tends to alter things in their virtual console re-releases, and Kirby's Dream Land 3 is the best example I know of where the original cartridge is still the definitive version.

In the boss rush mode of the virtual console version, they altered the background colour palette of the final boss to make it easier to see its attacks. However they somehow screwed up the audio tracks in the process, making large chunks of final boss melody not play. This is present in every digital version of the game, and on Kirby's Dream Collection for Wii.

For most games it's not really an issue though, so it's more a case by case thing. I think modern game collections are great for people who don't have access to the old systems, and I do think there's something to be said about the old systems being essentially incompatible with modern TVs.

• Like 1

I like compilation games/digital releases, they're a nifty way to play a bunch of old games for an affordable price, but I do prefer the originals on the original systems, even if the re-release versions were objectively the better versions. The experience with the originals is just more tangible; the extra effort required in getting a machine, a game, cleaning them up, setting them up, taking in the artwork, the smell, the manual and so on - while nostalgia heightens all of that, even without nostalgia towards a specific game or a system, I find it to be the true experience when dealing with original items. Playing on an Everdrive with a thousand ROMs or on a modern system is a great way to play too, but it's not quite the same for me. Do I play everything with/on original stuff all the time, even if I own it? Not at all, but that's the way to really take something in and get transported into the magic, a hopeful attempt to grab the feeling of your past or just appreciate the finite lifespan (maybe less finite than yours) of the original media while you still can.

Edited by sp1nz
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Depends. 

I have the Doom collection on Switch,and it makes me not care to own Doom 3 for Xbox.

But then I do own (and plan on keeping) Doom for SNES and PS1.  And GBA if I ever acquire it.

Someone explain that psychology.

The unique experience of it.  I have them (and doom 2.)  The SNES game is a technical marvel so it's fun to explore how well it worked out.  The GBA one, it's a far more robust and cheaper handheld device, game is far more tough too in that cart, plus it's also for Doom the jag version so it's unique vs the original.  Doom 2 on GBA though is a relatively straight port with a few modifications largely around system limits.  The PS1 doom, not sure, I had it, it's a weird mix of doom e1-e3 and some doom2 stages, so it has some unique points I guess, but it's the hardest to qualify.

• Like 1

The short answer is no...One of my favorite parts of collecting is holding the box/case in my hands and looking at the art, then reading the manual before I finally actually play the game.  So for something like the Cowabunga Collection, I would rather go out and find CIB copies of everything (although I realize this can be cost prohibitive). However, I will still buy the Cowabunga Collection (when I can find it for $20 or $15 - used probably), because of save states and the other benefits that just make the games so much easier to play/finish.

On the other hand, there are compilations out there for games that I'm never going to have in my collection because I don't want to buy hardware for that system or hunt down the games.  Perfect examples for me are the Neo Geo Pocket Color collection (Switch) and the TurboGrafx-16 mini. I have no nostalgic connection to those systems, and currently no ambition to collect for them.  I know I could emulate, but it is easier to just pick up the compilations.

Lastly, I will jump at the chance to pick up compilations of games that were formerly locked on Sony systems.  I don't like the Sony controller design, and even though I have a 3rd party "offset stick" PS4 controller to play the great Playstation exclusives, when stuff like the Crash or Spyro Trilogies, or the recently announced Suikoden I & II come to the Switch (or Xbox), I will gladly pick those up in lieu of the original copies.

• Like 1

Original only for me.

Just the other day I got my CRT set up, Genesis plugged in,  and stacked Sonic 2 onto Sonic and Knuckles in that goofy early "expansion " setup... 

The controller feel, sound, and graphics all have to come together to get that full nostalgic feel imo, even if it's a pain in the ass. 

Killer soundtrack that only fits with a 90's tube TV.

Same goes for NES, SNES, N64... 

Also, yes... I'm a collector at heart. I'll save up for the original in patience if that's what it takes. 

• Like 1