IGNORED

Things you wanted, but had to tell yourself you can't have.

This one isn't that big of a deal because it's not super expensive or hard to find, but when Nintendo released those Game & Watch retro systems for Mario and Zelda, I told myself I wasn't going to get them.  I had recently purchased every "Classic" system that been released the year or two before, and I wasn't opening or using any of them because I had better ways to play all of those games.  I bought them just to have them and the Game & Watch systems would have been no different.  I decided to draw the line on those even though I could buy both of them for well under $100 and they wouldn't even take up that much space.  

• Like 1

I had to unexpectedly sell off a lot of items in 2016 for medical bills and a new car.   I've been slowly working on reacquiring them since then.  I have most of what I sold off except for a few games that spiked in price since then:

Star Fox Weekend

Castlevania Dracula X CIB

Little Samson

Donkey Kong 1, Jr., and 3 all CIB with hangtabs

I'd really like these again but just not worth it to me

• Like 1

Basically anything US, so that would be the Pokemons for Game Boy CIB and CIB versions of the unlicensed NES stuff.

It's an odd situation, with the Pokemons (given the battery situation) and also wanting to feel like I did when I bought Blue and Red when they first released, when I was in junior high, I actually do see a reason for the use of repros and would definitely buy one if it were basically 1:1 and for a decent price.

As for the unlicensed NES games, there's just too many repros now, the Color Dreams stuff all had paper repros that were licensed I guess, yet I would want the original 90s boxes and manuals. Between prices and repros, and feeling the need to go CIB, it just isn't happening.

Administrator · Posted

There are only a few things so far that I've wanted but turned down on a few occasions.  

The first is Jack Bros for virtual boy.  I collect Atlus games, and I've had a few opportunities to buy this, but each time I just couldn't justify the cost, especially because I don't even have a Virtual Boy nor plan to get one.  It's one of those games, that if I get a really good deal, I may pick up someday, but otherwise, I may have to live without it.

The only other example, is a couple years ago, when someone here was trying to sell me an Amazing Tater prototype for GameBoy, and I couldn't justify the cost at the time.  Unlike Jack Bros, I do actually sort of wish I did buy that one, as over time I've become more and more interested in researching and preserving content just like that. 

The other examples that would have fit into this category until recently, are Cubivore for Gamecube and Kuon for PS2.  But thanks to @Jeevan helping me out tremendously on both of those, I now have them and I'm still extremely grateful for that.  🙂

I'm pretty content trodding along on my path, and I'm always adding interesting things to my collection.  I've never spent 4 figures on any singular item, and it's hard to imagine myself doing so at any point in the near future, so if anything is priced as such, I can easily pass it up and not worry too much about it, so that helps!

53 minutes ago, spacepup said:

The only other example, is a couple years ago, when someone here was trying to sell me an Amazing Tater prototype for GameBoy, and I couldn't justify the cost at the time.  Unlike Jack Bros, I do actually sort of wish I did buy that one, as over time I've become more and more interested in researching and preserving content just like that. 

That was me... I had that Tater proto.  I only semi=regret getting rid of that one but it was for a good cause.  You probably were in the running but I think 3-4 people were negotiating at the same time AND it was like a quick, 24 hour sale cause I needed the money to book a trip.

In 2016, I almost bought a sealed copy of Felix the Cat for the NES on eBay for $700 or $800. I could've bought it, but right before clicking Buy it Now I said to myself, in my head, "NO! Don't do it!". So, I didn't buy it.

That was probably for the best, because that same year I already spent an insane amount of money on other things: I bought Ninja Turtles: Tournament Fighters for $700, an orange Mega Man hat from CES 1990 for $650, a Super Mario Bros. 3 McDonald's Happy Meal toy display for about $450, and a Mega Man X Controller for GameCube for about $400. I also bought CIB copies of Tiny Toon Adventures, Super Off-Road, R.C. Pro Am II, Super Dodge Ball, M.C. Kids, Milon's Secret Castle, Ice Hockey, Blades of Steel, Rainbow Islands, and Pac-Mania, sealed copies of Mappy Land, The Little Mermaid, and MLB 2K6, Mega Man V for Game Boy, and a reprint of the original Ninja Turtles comic from when TMNT 2007 was released, which weren't quite as expensive but...yeah, I bought and spent a lot in 2016. So it was probably a good thing I didn't buy that sealed copy of Felix the Cat.

image.jpeg.e479957573d906553add0751d173d5df.jpeg

image.jpeg.5fbfb3d420e7f1a9e107407bfbcf5cd0.jpeg

image.jpeg.eb74a586b94e95af58156e6718cf4645.jpeg

image.jpeg.820742f64d7a9c05e946e102ad744946.jpeg

image.jpeg.8bcd6fd6fef032b32316f45ec5af7a1c.jpeg

image.jpeg.2f0a9253bf4723b4a964d91a2d01bf3b.jpeg

image.jpeg.fc71a4b9bc2f2db18cefa2bbeaf5cc05.jpeg

image.jpeg.83c597c0c51e5b07c1c41a71b9fde03f.jpeg

image.jpeg.8b3abcc871273f77ac87a366be0d80dc.jpeg

image.jpeg.7f606ec8f9562dcf4fa1c37c0177d031.jpeg

image.jpeg.a8e066305e45d3417fcc19da5e8715a8.jpeg

image.jpeg.72408729c20274e971ee461da264bc33.jpeg

image.jpeg.34e701cf3b5be6311d64efb44c5cfc66.jpeg

image.jpeg.b3b91f8ee191e1d3af6e0a0cccbd9f93.jpeg

image.jpeg.2f0d432346da6abfd9dedaf975c9c3d3.jpeg

image.jpeg.3cd6c1959570d96f6ab125f903f7d8e8.jpeg

image.jpeg.713bdced3ff920ada7ef2fbdaca677ee.jpeg

image.jpeg.0e1af209e66a89e35b8a6db66394e979.jpeg

image.jpeg.29ab0904cff3093dadd7f7fb5c77ff38.jpeg

Edited by MegaMan52
  • Like 4

Administrator · Posted
1 hour ago, RH said:

That was me... I had that Tater proto.  I only semi=regret getting rid of that one but it was for a good cause.  You probably were in the running but I think 3-4 people were negotiating at the same time AND it was like a quick, 24 hour sale cause I needed the money to book a trip.

No worries! You were kind enough to offer to me, and it was me who rejected.

I remembered it was you but didn't want to say in case you didn't want it known for some reason.  I know who got it also, but not sure if he still has it.

Either way, it's just how it goes!  It'd be neat of course, but it's just how it goes - certainly not worth being upset over!

I'm glad to hear the sale enabled you to do something important for you 🙂

• Like 2

On 9/12/2022 at 8:44 PM, RegularGuyGamer said:

I was in a pawnshop and someone brought back a gray Majora's Mask bc it wouldn't get past a certain point. Turned out they sold a NFR for $25 and the man brought it back. I stayed around like a coyote stalking the prey and asked if I could buy it. They did the usual run around, "we have to wait a couple weeks before we can put it back on the floor".

Only thing you could have done at that point would have been to ask them to hold it with your name on it and you'd come back the day they're allowed to sell it.

Pawn shops have a mandatory holding period, so he might have also thought you were somebody the cops sent in with your increasing crazy offers.

By the time the Switch came out, I was already running out of space to store my games.  It feels like every new significant game has a limited edition in a laughably large box, especially with LRG.  In the past I would've gladly gotten the huge TMNT Shredders Revenge box or the Cowabunga Collection box, but I just can't do it anymore.  They're bulky and full of trinkets that i know i wouldnt let myself use or enjoy because i want to keep the big box contents in nice shape.  I'll let myself do it for a select few series (Zelda, Mega Man, Metroid, Fire Emblem), but I'm just turned off by them in general anymore.  Anything post-3DS/Wii U I almost always pass on.  Like half of my 3DS games have bigger awkward boxes and it's hard to organize with the rest of them.  

I also don't own any statues/figures etc.  Just the games I have already take up enough shelf space.  

@Gloves@Skorp

Saw some people mentioning a Grey Majora's Mask. Probably feels better not having one, than being me and having one and selling it for what I did many years ago. At least I have solace knowing it went to a World Record setting collection, and can see an image of it whenever I want.

image.png.82a4fe25d7a11087a9dc7acdd01856ec.png

image.png.6198f57eef9e09dfc1aaddb1f69acef3.png

Edited by Vaosu
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, captmorgandrinker said:

Only thing you could have done at that point would have been to ask them to hold it with your name on it and you'd come back the day they're allowed to sell it.

Pawn shops have a mandatory holding period, so he might have also thought you were somebody the cops sent in with your increasing crazy offers.

He actually went to jail a couple years later for having an entire warehouse of stolen merchandise. Apparently he had junkies stealing from big box stores that he would pay cash and then resell it online. 

1 hour ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

He actually went to jail a couple years later for having an entire warehouse of stolen merchandise. Apparently he had junkies stealing from big box stores that he would pay cash and then resell it online. 

Whoopsy!  

Administrator · Posted
7 hours ago, Vaosu said:

@Gloves@Skorp

Saw some people mentioning a Grey Majora's Mask. Probably feels better not having one, than being me and having one and selling it for what I did many years ago. At least I have solace knowing it went to a World Record setting collection, and can see an image of it whenever I want.

image.png.82a4fe25d7a11087a9dc7acdd01856ec.png

image.png.6198f57eef9e09dfc1aaddb1f69acef3.png

Ouch. 

Graphics Team · Posted

I've had to stop myself from buying mini-consoles on several occasions.

I had a Neo Geo X that died on me several years ago, and it was devastating to lose all of those pre-loaded games. Now I only buy games that I can back-up digitally in case of hardware failure (at least for the most part).

I even pulled my pre-order for the Genesis Mini 2 after a lot of internal deliberation. But I might still give into the temptation of the Taito Egret II Mini one of these days...

-CasualCart

Administrator · Posted
43 minutes ago, G-type said:

I want to create a game / arcade room... but we don't have any space for that

Same; I've decided to dedicate my efforts right now to focusing on saving to buy a house, and potentially moving to Nova Scotia. The two key things for me are a nice kitchen and a basement.

• Like 2

I'm with Vaosu and his OUCH situation.  Mind you values were normal back in the pre-2012 days where even perceived if not kind of rare games still sold for like under $20 because few really cared and it wasn't about making money off others as much as possible on trumped up faux/real scarcity.  When I had unemployment and dumped a heap of stuff, it all went for like $5 here $20 there, it's why I pulled up Aerofighters again on the SNES.  I bought it local for $10-20 all complete minus the box, sold it for what I paid for it about a decade later in 2005.  When I finally wanted to recover it again around 2012 it was $200 which sucked, and where it rests now is disturbing to put it nicely much like gray majora's mask.  What can you do?  Nothing, absolutely nothing, because it's stupid.

Happened last week. Was bidding on a cib mr gimmick. Private sale not public. I have been making som big pokemon card sales so I had a big bonus of cash. as the price passed what would be aboout 1400 dollars I just didnt feel it anymore. I could keep going,  I had just made thousands of what felt like monopoly money, but it just didnt feel right to go further. Honestly kinda sad, maybe this hobby is not for me anymore. I dont know if it was clarity or a realization, im still processing it

1 hour ago, 360collector said:

Happened last week. Was bidding on a cib mr gimmick. Private sale not public. I have been making som big pokemon card sales so I had a big bonus of cash. as the price passed what would be aboout 1400 dollars I just didnt feel it anymore. I could keep going,  I had just made thousands of what felt like monopoly money, but it just didnt feel right to go further. Honestly kinda sad, maybe this hobby is not for me anymore. I dont know if it was clarity or a realization, im still processing it

It's normal. At a certain point, the price of goods starts to matter and the perceived value starts to take effect. I want a  Famicom CIB  Gimmick! too but I'd have a hard time justifying the price even if I hit a $10k bonus.

• Like 1

I hit that long ago because I went too long buying games out of pocket when it wasn't investment property, because of that I can barely justify anything over MSRP let alone $100, especially if it's not me turning over something to get something.  When you start seeing $500 on that game and $1000 on that piece of cardboard the insanity gets quite clear.

• Agree 1

For me, it's hard to justify the prices on items that are just popular, yet not super stinking rare. I just dropped about $200 to a sweaty reseller for a cib Jurassic Boy 2 on Famicom, without thinking twice. Up until a few years ago, we didn't even know a box existed, and up until I got this one, no one had a clue of a manual. It's that stinking rare.

Contrast it with Sculptors Cut for example, or Samson or whatever. You can buy those any day of the week if you want, they're like second -rate rares and I just see little value in such high prices for such mundane items.

• Agree 2

2 minutes ago, portabello said:

For me it’s definitely a mint copy of Sqoon on NES. I just could never bring myself to spend $1000 on the cardboard box. I finally settled for a mint cart and manual with a BitBox case. I’m actually pretty happy since I can pop the thing open very easily without worrying about damaging a NES box. 

I’m trying to get a Sqoon box….wish me luck.