IGNORED

Is SML2 better than any NES Mario games?

Nintegageo

Is SML2 better than any NES Mario games?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Is SML2 better than any NES Mario games?

• Yes
    • No

That's a tough challenge, primarily because SML2 feels like such a different style of game, due to it being developed for the Game Boy.

Thinking about it and being perfectly honest, I think I enjoy SML2 more overall than SMB2. I think I might enjoy it slightly more than the original SMB, if only for the variety but that's hard to judge.

So, for me, I'll go ahead and say "yes", and put it just a hair above SMB2 in relative rankings.

Edited by Webhead123
  • Wow! 1
  • Agree 1

Come on guys, don't be wise guys with answers like Mario's Missing. You know what he meant. XD

I would rank Mario Land 2 higher than Lost Levels, but I don't think it's better than the three I played as a kid.

Something that's always bothered me about Mario Land 2 though is that the game is mostly wide open space, but the more cramped levels where you're more confined are really difficult because the game isn't built for that. It's the main reason Wario Castle is so hard.

It's certainly a really great Game Boy game though, and an absolute must play for that system. Considering the hardware they were working with, it's still a fantastic Mario game that stands tall with the others. 🙂

Edited by Lynda Monica
  • Like 3

While I don't like Super Mario Land 2 as much as SMB 1-3, I can understand why someone might prefer it over SMB, the American SMB2. and the Japanese SMB 2. Some people might like that SML2 has a larger variety of settings. Inexperienced players would probably appreciate that SML2 has an easy mode. Mario fans that are also huge Wario fans are likely to favor this game (along with Wario Land).

However, Super Mario Bros. 3 is the best Mario game ever made (in my opinion). As good as SML2 may be and even though it is an improvement over the first Super Mario Land, there's no way it's as good as SMB3. Not even Super Mario Land 2 DX on Game Boy Color.

image.jpeg.f8ae5bd233014985da63a7c0c8d890ec.jpeg

Edited by MegaMan52
  • Like 2

Super Mario Land 2 is a very fun game, bursting with character. It has a sort of cartoony-humour to the visual style, loads of round edges and cute details. Graphically it is impressive for a game rendered on a tiny screen in four shades of grey, to be able to produce that kind of world that feels alive and energetic.

It actually DOES have, I think, the best overworld of the 2D Mario games, I actually prefer it to the Super Mario World map, because of all the neat touches. Getting eaten by the turtle, climbing a tree, exploring a giant mechanical Mario, going into space... There's real creativity and a sort of lack of restrictions to what they did with that, plus I find the ability to choose any world you want, in any order, to be a great choice for the handheld experience where you may not have a long time to play in one sitting.

In that sense, it IS better than even Mario 3 IMO, just like in terms of the visual creativity and the style. Mario 3 feels more stripped back and simplistic visually, which is cool, but I think Mario Land 2 really nails the cartoon style probably better than any NES Mario game, and even better than Mario World actually.

HOWEVER, it's not a patch in terms of the game design. YES, it plays well, MUCH better of course than Mario Land 1, which is very janky by comparison. And, I have always liked the range of power ups, and the aforementioned visual variety in the levels.

But, the field of view sucks, the levels are short and easy, there's not THAT much exploration, maybe some secrets or alternative paths but nothing compared to Mario 2 or 3, and it obviously doesn't come close to the sheer compulsive gameplay excellence of Mario 1.

So, no, it isn't better than any of the true NES Mario games, but it is a bloody good little game in its own right, a real Gameboy treat of its own to be experienced and enjoyed on its own terms.

• Like 1

I know others have mentioned Mario is Missing, but I'm going into this under the impression that I'm only comparing SML2 to SMB, SMB2, SMB3 and lost levels.

There was a point in time where I would have said yes.  Around the time SML2 was released, I had lost interest in the original SMB and didn't care for it as much.  At the same time, I LOVED SML2 because it was such a huge improvement over SML and it felt like a true Mario game.  At that time, I probably would have ranked SML2 better than SMB.

However, today, I would say that all 4 mainline Mario games from the NES are better than SML2.  I've replayed everything in recent years and my love for SMB and even the lost levels is back and SML2 hasn't aged as well for me.  It's still a great game, but I don't love it as much as I did when it was first released.

How, if we are going to include games like Mario is Missing or Mario Bros. (the arcade game), then yes, SMB2 is better than those games.  

• Like 1

Editorials Team · Posted

I'm a huge GB evangelist, so I always want Game Boy games to be well spoken of and whatnot, but those NES games are in the upper tiers of all NES games. SML2 is great, it's the game SML was trying to be, it's got catchy tunes and all, but it's not "better" than any of the NES Mario games.

• Agree 1

I generally place Super Mario Land 2 and Kirby's Dream Land 2 in the same "This was great to have on the go back in the day and is still good now but we've gotten so many games from these same franchises in the same genre that are considerably better and the game mechanics here aren't quite neat enough to stand out. ~7/10" bucket.

• Like 1

If we are talking just overall quality, and not a for it's time viewpoint then I'd say it is better than some Mario games on NES. I'd rather play it than the educational games. I'd even say it is better than some Super Mario games, I think it is is definitely better than Super Mario Bros the Lost Levels and maybe SMB1. What do they have over it? Color and better physics? SML2 has themed worlds, multiple bosses, and more power ups. It isn't exactly the hardest Mario game ever, but I don't think it needs to be. The levels are a bit short but they are pretty interesting. When I say better I am purely talking about how much interest I had in playing it when I played it for the first time. If we are talking about the game's overall legacy, then I don't think I'd put it above SMB the Lost Levels. I would call that greatness, not betterness though. I also think that SMB and SMB the Lost Levels are more captivating on repeat playings