IGNORED

2022 VGS NES Weekly Contest - Silver Surfer!

BeaIank

Events Team · Posted

Welcome ladies and gentlemen!

This week, we tackle an infamous game on the NES library, Silver Surfer!

The rules for this not so challenging SHMUP are pretty straight forward:

• Pick any world order you want
  • Play till you lose your first life
  • Pause the game when you lose your first life and take your picture
  • If you beat the game, take your picture at the end boss and at the high score screen
  • Highest score wins
  • Genre: Shoot 'em Up

The contest ends Sunday, 07/31/22 at 11 PM VGS time.  Your user name MUST be written or typed on a piece of paper and be in the picture for your score to be valid.  The entire TV screen, or computer monitor if you are playing on an emulator, MUST be in the picture for the score to be valid.  No partial screenshots will be considered or accepted.  No screenshots by hitting "print screen" on a computer will be allowed.  You must take a picture of your computer monitor.  There may be instances where this will be acceptable, but it will be at the discretion of myself and the contest organizers.  Also, the use of turbo controllers is forbidden, as well as any cheat codes, Game Genies, slow motion functions, or save states if playing on an emulator.  Also, we will only be using NTSC systems for the contests.  The use of PAL systems will NOT be allowed.  Good luck everyone and have fun.

• Like 1

Ok, if you guys want to say this isn’t legit, I’ll post an older photo.  I point pressed a bit on the first level but I was also using it to pay attention to the enemy patterns.  I’m no where close to the top, but this is my high score.  I did do this before Bea posted earlier today. 

23F90C93-6840-4521-9EFB-09D5AF256432.thumb.jpeg.a23f807c4d55c3374b5a74c7f19afc4a.jpeg

Edited by RH

SCORE EDIT #1 - First time beating a "section" of a level: 53,150

SCORE EDIT #2 - Getting better: 352,850

SCORE EDIT #3 - Finally made it to the Magic Domain in one life, and man, the game was not very happy about it:  634,450

SCORE EDIT #4 - No-death run completed: 741,550

SCORE EDIT #5 - Improved my score a little for my final submission of the week: 804,200

SS-5a.JPG

SS-5b.JPG

Edited by Dr. Morbis
  • Wow! 1

3 hours ago, docile tapeworm said:

Is it ok to accidentally play worse at the end stage bosses in order to rack more points?

Don't worry, l'il Grin-Meister, there is no shame in finishing last in the standings this week - no shame at all.  Just play your little heart out and do the best you can...  😛

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, NESfiend said:

This "not so challenging schmup" - love that @BeaIankhumor. I have this but Ive never played more than 5 min on account of it being impossible. Ill get a run or 2 in though

It’s not that bad.

1 hour ago, BeaIank said:

Yes, it is okay to willingly play worse at the end stage bosses to grind points.

I’ll probably grab a few extra points then just to pad a little.

1 hour ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Don't worry, l'il Grin-Meister, there is no shame in finishing last in the standings this week - no shame at all.  Just play your little heart out and do the best you can...  😛

I got the vcr ready to record. 

@Californication @8bitdontquit @Tulpa@Gloves

you guys scared?

Edited by docile tapeworm
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, docile tapeworm said:

It’s an ok game. It’s better than legendary wings, on par with abadox but can’t hold a candle to life force.

tim follin is overrated.

Legendary Wings is meh, but Abadox and Life Force are both great shooters.  And Tim Follin is awesome, but even he can't top the incredible tracks that Konami laid down in Life Force; it's soundtrack is top 10 on the console front to back...

• Like 1

Follin always struck me like those guitar shredders. Cram as many notes as possible into a song.

3 hours ago, docile tapeworm said:

you guys scared?

Nah, we just don't want to humiliate you, have you quit the forum, and then everyone will go "Where's Skinny," and we'll have to say you joined the Peace Corps or something, and then everyone will want to join the Peace Corps, and pretty soon no one will be on the forum anymore. Wouldn't want that.

1 hour ago, Dr. Morbis said:

And Tim Follin is awesome, but even he can't top the incredible tracks that Konami laid down in Life Force; it's soundtrack is top 10 on the console front to back...

Stage 4 is the best music. Change my mind.

• Haha 1