IGNORED

2022 VGS NES Weekly Contest - Silver Surfer!

BeaIank

25 minutes ago, Krunch said:

Happy to bring up the rear on this one.  This make Battletoads look like Perfect Fit...

Haha, starting on Mephisto's stage may be recommended by the manual, but it sure as shit is not recommended by anyone who's actually played the game.  However, if you must start on that stage, the bottom left corner of the screen is a safe spot at the start to get past all the flying ghosts, and then if you can get past a few of those four doors, the whole top of the screen is a safe spot for the next difficult section.  But all this being said, it sounds like you've already thrown in the towel... 😛

13 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Haha, starting on Mephisto's stage may be recommended by the manual, but it sure as shit is not recommended by anyone who's actually played the game.  However, if you must start on that stage, the bottom left corner of the screen is a safe spot at the start to get past all the flying ghosts, and then if you can get past a few of those four doors, the whole top of the screen is a safe spot for the next difficult section.  But all this being said, it sounds like you've already thrown in the towel... 😛

Youre correct this one's a towel though I appreciate the tips anyway.  On top of the difficulty, this is also my weak genre.

This game always got such a bad rap. I think the same thing as last time I played forever ago, that it's pretty solid, unlike Days of Thunder, which unequivocally sucks balls.

The steep difficulty curve, the required precision (barely touch anything and you're dead) the required mashing if you don't have turbo, and the extreme Gradius effect when you die combine to make this quite rough to get into if you're not a shooter guy. Even having a small life bar so that you could take a few hits would've helped. 

22 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

The steep difficulty curve, the required precision (barely touch anything and you're dead) the required mashing if you don't have turbo, and the extreme Gradius effect when you die combine to make this quite rough to get into if you're not a shooter guy. Even having a small life bar so that you could take a few hits would've helped. 

Turbo is banned in the weekly NES comps, and I just about killed my right hand this week with all the button mashing I've been doing on this game, so I really hope no one here is using turbo...

• Agree 1

29 minutes ago, Tulpa said:

Silver Surfer is a good game, you just need to power up as fast as possible, and be mindful of the huge hitbox on the Surfer. It's a little goofy in spots, but overall well put together.

As I was playing this week I kept asking myself…is this a good game?….it’s…not bad. I enjoy it. I am a fan of shooters that do not have an auto fire. I am not a fan of deaths from touching walls etc. i don’t feel like there is a spot we’re I can really lay down some fire and destroy shit. It’s now like watch out for the walls! Destroy an enemy here and there watch out for the walls!!!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Turbo is banned in the weekly NES comps, and I just about killed my right hand this week with all the button mashing I've been doing on this game, so I really hope no one here is using turbo...

I enjoy it. I’m not a fan of shooters with auto fire. It’s like I’ve heard of this thing “runners high”? Perhaps it’s similar. When I get in a groove and am really sleeping that nes pad it’s like ffffffffuuuuuuuu ya 💪🏻💪🏻💪🏻💪🏻

4 minutes ago, docile tapeworm said:

As I was playing this week I kept asking myself…is this a good game?….it’s…not bad. I enjoy it. I am a fan of shooters that do not have an auto fire. I am not a fan of deaths from touching walls etc. i don’t feel like there is a spot we’re I can really lay down some fire and destroy shit. It’s now like watch out for the walls! Destroy an enemy here and there watch out for the walls!!!

There's stuff that I like about it, especially the presentation. Great graphics and music for NES. There's a lot of other stuff that I don't like about it.

I wish we were playing 1943.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

I actually cram the controller into my right thigh.  I then can use the d-pad like normal but instead of using my thumb to tap, I can use my pointer, or middle finger, and tap much faster.  I'm not saying this approach is perfect, but if you can find a way to use your pointer finger, rather than your thumb, it might be more comfortable and quicker to manual-turbo.

4 hours ago, docile tapeworm said:

Fire lord section 2 and Mephisto section 2

the rest isn’t so bad.

Mephisto Section 2 is the only spot in the game with true randomness that cannot be avoided.  Every other enemy in this game has an exact pattern and sticks to it, regardless of what you're doing, so they can be dealt with.... *except* the hands that come out of the sides in Mephisto Section 2.  It's pure RNG, and there is nothing you can do but choose when to go past them and hope for the best.  The first set of green hands in the wide open area can be dealt with by using a bomb if you're in a pinch, but the hands in the later narrow corridors... true randomness that can kill any run.  This is the sole reason that I always choose Mephisto as my second level after powering up on the Lizard level.  Even the pumpkins on the Firelord level are on a rail and pop up in the same spots at the same time, so it's just memorization that can be dealt with, but the Mephisto hands - nuthin' but RNG...

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, RH said:

I actually cram the controller into my right thigh.  I then can use the d-pad like normal but instead of using my thumb to tap, I can use my pointer, or middle finger, and tap much faster.  I'm not saying this approach is perfect, but if you can find a way to use your pointer finger, rather than your thumb, it might be more comfortable and quicker to manual-turbo.

This sounds like how Bootsy plays in the James & Mike Silver Surfer video.  Granted, he dies a lot, but he does beat the game:

19 minutes ago, docile tapeworm said:

This game is weird for me because it's the first shooter I've ever played that's 100% a game of memory.  I'm more a fan of controlled randomness and using gut reaction to mow down enemies coming at you on pure instinct, but Silver Surfer is like: "Okay, next set of enemies are two thirds of the way down the screen, okay I'm in position... and they're dead; okay next set is at the top of the screen, and I'm in position and they're dead, okay now move low to avoid this obstacle, okay now next set is yada, yada, yada... it's Classic Concentration with a Marvel license tacked on...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Nicely done, @docile tapeworm  Sneek attack for the win 🙂 

I guess I'll have to do that much better on Stinger... 😉

9020566B-DB65-4B75-93FF-9566C8B0F709.gif.01ab27016af40b1f82575f8dabbb0a70.gif

I knew you had one left in you after you posted that 700k. Good game. I didn’t know my score would win or not but I knew I was pretty burnt and didn’t have it in me to map out a route with a higher score. I might be able to squeeze 875k-900 but it would take more time.

@bertsampson would have kicked both our ass. I kinda miss that guy crushing my balls like a pair of seedless grapes in between his boot and the concrete.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2