IGNORED

2022 VGS NES Weekly Contest - Silver Surfer!

BeaIank

Just now, docile tapeworm said:

@Dr. Morbis I got you by 7 now? You probably need a win in stinger. Top gun might be 3 points for me though. I haven’t played that game since I was 7 or 8 and I don’t know how hard it is to land the plane because I never tried it. Maybe I was always playing second mission?

I've never played Top Gun, so that one's a wildcard, but I remember beating Stinger and having an easy time of it.  The game never ends and just loops forever after ~14 or so levels, if I'm remembering right.  That one will have to be a 1-lifer because it's way too easy.

As for Silver Surfer, I might have been able to beat you if I had focused more on the first quest and improving my score, but once I had the whole game memorized, I was more focused on wanting to complete all 3 quests for my personal list so that I'd never have to relearn the game from scratch all over again.  Beating only one of three quests just leaves a sour taste in my mouth.  That's also why I tried so hard to triple loop Gun.Smoke once I learned that you had to beat it three times to get the true ending.

Anyway, I just checked the schedule, and after going months between shooters, the next one is only a couple of weeks away... 🤷‍♂️

Tremendous drama as I genuinely didn't know if @docile tapewormwould fail to submit a score or take it down. Nicely done to you and all three of you that finished the game. I get the appeal. If this game were just a little less brutal I think I would really enjoy it. Its just so easy to make a quick stupid mistake and have to hit reset. And its a pretty slow game, so the starting over is demoralizing. Savage that there are a lot of people here who can play it proficiently. @8bitdontquitand @Richardheadshowed up out of nowhere and put up long runs with no practice. Impressive stuff

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

Tremendous drama as I genuinely didn't know if @docile tapewormwould fail to submit a score or take it down. Nicely done to you and all three of you that finished the game. I get the appeal. If this game were just a little less brutal I think I would really enjoy it. Its just so easy to make a quick stupid mistake and have to hit reset. And its a pretty slow game, so the starting over is demoralizing. Savage that there are a lot of people here who can play it proficiently. @8bitdontquitand @Richardheadshowed up out of nowhere and put up long runs with no practice. Impressive stuff

Thanks guy! Shit  happened and I just couldn’t post a better score.

It’s good to be back playing with you all.😁

• Like 3

2 hours ago, docile tapeworm said:

@Dr. Morbis I haven’t played stinger in years. It’s a great game though. I nice comfy ride. Easy to play and enjoyable and the bell dynamic makes for a nice contest.

the grinder had you the whole way this week 💪🏻

Well I've already beaten Stinger for my personal list, so there will be nothing to distract me from toppling your score... 😛

Also, I just checked Adaml's faq and it says there are only 7 stages before the ending message, then it goes to Stage 8, but it's really Stage 1, only more difficult.  Then the third loop (Stage 15) is exactly the same as the second loop, so that's why I personally considered it beaten after 14 stages completed rather than 7, since the difficulty maxes out and there's nothing more to see after that.

I guess the only question will be the rule set: even a 1-life contest could go on for hours, so I think it should be highest score by the end of a particular stage, or something like that.

3 hours ago, mbd39 said:

I'm also curious what the Castlevania rules will be. Maybe one life, no point pressing, looping allowed. The second loop is tough.

I'm kinda hoping Castlevania will be a speed run competition like Mega Man 2 was, since the game is so short and it's too easy to point scum with all the never ending enemies.  Granted, there's a timer counting down too, but I hate playing games "DK style" where all you do is the same shit over and over to artificially inflate your score.  A speed run would be way more fun...

7 hours ago, docile tapeworm said:

I knew you had one left in you after you posted that 700k. Good game. I didn’t know my score would win or not but I knew I was pretty burnt and didn’t have it in me to map out a route with a higher score. I might be able to squeeze 875k-900 but it would take more time.

Great job skinny!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 8bitdontquit said:

@NESfiend we played this in 19, and most of us no -deathed it. So it's kinda fresh in our minds and i feel once you learn the game, it's actually pretty easy.

As long as you don't drift off in thought.surfer3apr2016.jpg.1892a026caee035bf98f08b8e29789c2.jpg

As long as you dont drift off in thought, even for a quarter second. This destroyed me. ADD and silver surfer dont mesh. All my best runs were first runs of the day. Id start drifting here and there pretty quick after. I didnt play like crazy this week, but it took time just to get through the first level. Game lives up the difficulty hype imo

• Like 1

@8bitdontquit @NESfiend I agree if you don’t stay focused your gonna die. Also it’s a slow paced game so it’s a bit of a trap you stop paying attention because it’s kinda slow than before you know it your dead.

@Californication I’m glad you finally got a copy it’s tough to get into and not as satisfying as hoped when you finally do get good at it but still a good game and a nice notch In the belt to carry.

• Like 2

• The topic was unpinned